Bonaparte

Forum Upgrade

I can't seem to add pictures. I tried three time to get this picture to load in my western train thread in the train tech forum, but it wouldn't load, and now the whole media bar is gone.

EDIT: 2:20 ...and now it works. What's up with that?

EDIT #2 6:16 : and it's busted again!

Edited by Murdoch17

9 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Why do you want a new tab just to post a reply? Is it because you want to keep reading the thread before submitting a post? If so, you should use the multiquote function (for some reason it's now a + sign), then post your comments once you've finished reading every page. Saves you changing your post as you go, while the thread journeys along. If not I don't know what you're after.

Sometimes they are not related, or an issue raised in one post is solved in another, so I generally open multiple reply tabs (closing irrelevant ones as I go) and then compile everything into one window when I am done.  I find this to be much more user friendly than the multiquote option, as that can often be difficult to manage.

There is also no longer an option to resize the reply window, which only makes this issue more apparent.

8 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

1. Click the Code button ( < > )
2. Select "No Syntax Highlighting" from the dropdown in the popup window
3. Paste your text

This is very intricate, and insert the text inside a code snippet... that it exactly what I don't want.
The purpose of "No Syntax Highlighting" option is to assign no syntax highlight typical of a specific programming/markup language inside a code snippet.
I'd like a fast way to remove text formatting when I paste text instead.

For example I've to report the name of a user inside the sentence I'm writing, so I copy it from a post above the one I'm writing, for example

x105Black

that, as you can see, is not merged with the rest of the text, because the copied text maintains the original format.

Anyway I noticed that now, when I add a formatted text, a dark bar pops up on the bottom of the textarea asking me if I want to remove text formatting. It seems to me that this bar didn't appear before today. It is much better than the procedure quoted above, but I think that a simple SHIFT+paste (typical shortcut for this functionality) would be a better and faster way.

Edited by Calabar

3 hours ago, x105Black said:

Sometimes they are not related, or an issue raised in one post is solved in another, so I generally open multiple reply tabs (closing irrelevant ones as I go) and then compile everything into one window when I am done.  I find this to be much more user friendly than the multiquote option, as that can often be difficult to manage.

There is also no longer an option to resize the reply window, which only makes this issue more apparent.

Another issue is that the "Quote widget" can be a pain to deal with.  They can't be copied or easily deleted.

Some of the issues you dislike about the new editor (like not having a separate reply screen) obviously are inherent to the new software and cannot be altered. I have added a button that removes all formatting (Tx) and a button that allows you to include spoilers to the standard toolbar. These buttons may not show up on smaller screens because of their limited screen width.

7 minutes ago, Rick said:

Some of the issues you dislike about the new editor (like not having a separate reply screen) obviously are inherent to the new software and cannot be altered. I have added a button that removes all formatting (Tx) and a button that allows you to include spoilers to the standard toolbar. These buttons may not show up on smaller screens because of their limited screen width.

Thanks for these additions--with them, things get a LOT easier for us in Heroica. :blush:   Any word on a plugin that will allow for custom font colors, or is that just going to have to be a BBCode-only thing?

Btw, I just noticed that the text on "recently browsing" is dark grey on dark blue, almost unreadable. It is just a small detail though.

Different topic, more important for me - is it possible to get a "preview topic" button back? I'm not a big fan of sending myself private messages to see how it will look...

11 minutes ago, Legostone said:

Btw, I just noticed that the text on "recently browsing" is dark grey on dark blue, almost unreadable. It is just a small detail though.

Different topic, more important for me - is it possible to get a "preview topic" button back? I'm not a big fan of sending myself private messages to see how it will look...

We are working on the dark grey and dark blue.

Unfortunately there is no preview button anymore in this version of the software. I think it's mainly because the post will pretty much look like your post when you type it. 

Just now, Jim said:

Unfortunately there is no preview button anymore in this version of the software. I think it's mainly because the post will pretty much look like your post when you type it. 

Yes, that is usually the case, but as someone who prefers using the resizing option from flickr it is kind of annoying this way. Thanks for the quick reply! Great work, mostly everything seems to work just as it should by now!

10 minutes ago, Legostone said:

Yes, that is usually the case, but as someone who prefers using the resizing option from flickr it is kind of annoying this way. Thanks for the quick reply! Great work, mostly everything seems to work just as it should by now!

Can you explain with you mean with resizing option from Flickr. I use Flickr quite a lot, so I am interested in your "problem".

Just now, Jim said:

Can you explain with you mean with resizing option from Flickr. I use Flickr quite a lot, so I am interested in your "problem".

I'm still using the right pointing arrow and BBCode to add images to my posts, which works well, but sadly I can't preview my posts anymore, so if I were to delete too much or too little somewhere I only notice after posting now. I guess I just have to be a bit more careful while preparing my posts... As I said, it is a small inconvenience which I would prefer "fixed" if possible, but if it can't be "fixed" it is alright too, as overall there are so many thing better than with the old software!

One thing I've just noticed (I'm sorry if I'm causing much extra effort here): Is it possible to add a "remove link" feature to the editor?

42 minutes ago, Jim said:

There is preview button.  It is the last icon on the editor menu.  It allows you to preview in desktop, tablet or phone.   :classic:

button_zpsoqzebvzf.jpg

4 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

There is preview button.  It is the last icon on the editor menu.  It allows you to preview in desktop, tablet or phone.   :classic:

I feel embarrased. I was looking on the site of the board provider and I saw a post about the preview not being available. I stand corrected.

Thanks Spock. As usual, you've got the Captain's back :laugh:

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Understood, and I appreciate the reply.  Also, thanks for the continued work and additional updates.

I'm not sure if I am missing something, or if this is no longer an available feature with the upgrade, but I would love to see something like the "Drag to resize" option from the old reply window:

4ftvnp.jpg

On 9/26/2016 at 5:58 PM, pittpenguin123 said:

You have to scroll really far to the left to see the mobile menu pop-up on chrome browser on a nexus 5 phone.

This is in landscape. You can't see it at all in portraitinUsRLg.png

I second that this is remarkably annoying on mobile; you expect the menu to appear over the page you are viewing, but instead the screen just goes dim and you have to scroll over 2 screen widths to see it. Not impossible, just annoying.

(Although one benefit is that I can pinch-zoom out on the page, so I can scroll down easier because everything becomes tiny :wink:)

After a few more days of browsing, I have noticed some things. Like the note above, none of these are disastrous, but they do affect easy navigation of the site. Also, all of this is on Chrome for Android (4.1.2) on mobile.

• The double-line line entry when using enter or return. I have read the posts n this thread about using shift-enter but on mobile there isn't a way to do this. It automatically puts in two lines, then auto-scrolls to below where I am currently typing.

• There is a significant lag moving from one page to the next within a thread, sometimes several seconds. Is this just because tags are visible now (previously on mobile, there was only text visible with no graphics at all except for embeds within the post)?

• When I move to the next page within a thread, the page opens not at the top of the page or first post, but at the second post.

• I do like how the quote and multi-quote keeps from page to page, so I can quote posts on multiple pages. Maybe it did this before, but it's new to me.

• I was used to the default when clicking on a post where it would take me to the first unread post. I finally figured out that the brick icon to the left of the post title did that, but it seems to take up too little real estate compared to the title itself, especially since it is clear against the edge of the screen. My fat fingers have a hard time being that precise sometimes :blush: although I suppose I will get used to it.

• I haven't tried embedding any Flickr images or anything yet, so don't have any feedback there. Rest assured I'll be back if needed :wink:

Edit: well, without the BBC code now that I made a list I can't seem to unmake it! This will take some getting used to...

2nd edit: the previous edit showed up as part of the above list when I edited it, but clearly now isn't, when I was trying to get the previous paragraph to be excluded from the list. :hmpf_bad:

Note to self: don't make anymore lists.

Edited by rodiziorobs

First of all I would like to say I appreciate the effort you moderators and admins put into this site. I'm not unhappy with the new setup and I also like the responsive design.

There is one problem I'm running into though. I'm used to adding links to other posts (looking something like: 'www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133743&st=50#entry2579365') when this is useful. Now it appears that all links to other posts that I have made have automatically been shortened to the topic part of the link (for the example above: 'www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133743'), as part of the upgrade I suppose. To recover these links I have to actually search for the posts I was referring to, because the entry numbers (of the actual posts) have vanished. This will be an awful amount of work. I can hardly imagine that this can be fixed automatically, because the information needed is no longer there. Is that the right conclusion or will this be fixed when all background scripts have been executed?

Edited by Didumos69

10 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

First of all I would like to say I appreciate the effort you moderators and admins put into this site. I'm not unhappy with the new setup and I also like the responsive design.

There is one problem I'm running into though. I'm used to adding links to other posts (looking something like: 'www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133743&st=50#entry2579365') when this is useful. Now it appears that all links to other posts that I have made have automatically been shortened to the topic part of the link (for the example above: 'www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133743'), as part of the upgrade I suppose. To recover these links I have to actually search for the posts I was referring to, because the entry numbers (of the actual posts) have vanished. This will be an awful amount of work. I can hardly imagine that this can be fixed automatically, because the information needed is no longer there. Is that the right conclusion or will this be fixed when all background scripts have been executed?

The syntax has changed.  It think this could work: 

Replace the &st=50#entry with &do=findComment&comment=

www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133743&do=findComment&comment=2579365

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133743&do=findComment&comment=2579365

I have a question and I apologize if its been answered already. Is there a setting for the activity feed so when I click on a thread it takes me to the first unread post instead of page 1? Its not the end of the world but its nice when you have a 100+ page thread to not have to key in the page number to jump to.

Also, thank you to the all the admins and staff for the hard work on the forums. I've read a lot of negative comments in this thread but things seem to be coming together nicely. These things always take time and I am thankful for the work you all put in.

3 hours ago, dr_spock said:

The syntax has changed.  It think this could work: 

Replace the &st=50#entry with &do=findComment&comment=

www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133743&do=findComment&comment=2579365

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133743&do=findComment&comment=2579365

Thanks, but I was aware of that. The problem is that in most of the links the comment part of the link has disappeared, so I don't have the comment numbers anymore. It will be quite a hassle to find back those numbers for all those links :cry_sad:.

Hi guys,

Any idea how to add a link in a picture ?

And note to the EB team : when we click on profile, I think it would be more interesting to have the "about me page" first rather than the "activity page".

I keep getting redirected from Eurobricks to another site that looks like a Charter company knockoff site. (read: very bad!) I don't know if it's me or what, but it only happens at Eurobricks and when three or more tabs are open and it has happened twice over the last two days. No viruses, malware or anything as I just checked twice after killing the program via task manager each time. Any ideas if it's me or not?

1 hour ago, Anio said:

Hi guys,

Any idea how to add a link in a picture ?

And note to the EB team : when we click on profile, I think it would be more interesting to have the "about me page" first rather than the "activity page".

Once you have inserted a picture you can double click it and an option to add link URL, size and alignment will appear.

Sample below:

28850671264_c605616b20_b.jpg

29 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

I keep getting redirected from Eurobricks to another site that looks like a Charter company knockoff site. (read: very bad!) I don't know if it's me or what, but it only happens at Eurobricks and when three or more tabs are open and it has happened twice over the last two days. No viruses, malware or anything as I just checked twice after killing the program via task manager each time. Any ideas if it's me or not?

Probably just you because I browse EB in at least 3 different computers and 4 other devices (when I tested it after upgrade) and this never happens. Just clear you cache including saved logins. Make sure you didn't install any add-ins, extensions or plugins that could  have altered your browser settings.

Edited by makoy

On September 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM, kibosh said:

Seriously.  How is this helpful?  Go find a different website.  Or better yet, start your own, and you can make it look the way you want.

Running a forum is a tiring, difficult, thankless, exhausting job.  Give these guys a break, and lay of the negativity.

I'm sorry. I was kind of in a bad mood because I hadn't had any coffee. I truly am sorry. I honestly regret posting that.

7 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

It could be the Google ad programme serving ads that redirect you away from EB. They're typically quick to remove these kind of ads. If it persists, try to note which kind of ads are redirecting you, so Sinner can try to look into the Google ad settings (although it is typically hard to track down which ads are causing it and -like I said- Google are likely to remove these kind of ads).

8 hours ago, makoy said:

Once you have inserted a picture you can double click it and an option to add link URL, size and alignment will appear.

Thank you for the tip !