Bonaparte

Forum Upgrade

My thoughts after a few days of using the update:

Desktop version is almost %100. It feels like Eurobricks should, which is good. A few tweaks to the design to bring back some unique styles to the individual forums and it will be perfect.

The old spoiler tag isn't working last I checked, so prepare for everything to be spoiled!

Mobile version still has some bugs. I can't get to my notifications and the forum menu directly on Mobile. To get to the Forum menu requires going through a topic and backtracking into the main menu.

Thank you all for the hard work.  I'm liking the new filtering features.

The new software provides more granularity on ignoring users.  You can block an individual users'

-Signature
-Mentions

So if someone has a huge bandwidth eating signature, you can block only his signature and still read his posts and messages.  You don't have to block everyone's signature like before.

Wait... are the censors gone for real? :devil: Okay (not ok-ey) then. <insert that tiresome argument>. 

Joking megablocks-ide, I'm curious as to why my post count seems to have gone down, as well, and sifting through the answers in this thread I didn't see anything definitive. I suppose it's not very important, though. Did old posts disappear? That would suck... Although there's no really practical way of finding one's old posts anyways.  

One thing I am curious about though is why the join date of a member no longer shows up on the quick member display to the left of a post? 

Edit: By the way, I've noticed that navigating the forum from an android phone is pretty irritating, as there seems to be no quick link to the forums masterpage, and I have to navigate through a few pages just to get there. Again, this isn't a huge issue.  

Edit: Looks like censors are working. drat. 

Edit 2: I didn't go back enough. Found the Post count comment. Good. That's sensible. And jeez. I guess that means I made over 100 posts in the community threads. :laugh: 

Edit 3: Still not indicating clearly to me that I'm in anonymous mode. That asterisk helped, but now I can't see it. :sceptic: No rush on that, though. I'm sure you're all really busy with actual problems. :blush: Hope I'm not being annoying. 

~Insectoid Aristocrat 

Edited by Dannylonglegs

1 hour ago, Dannylonglegs said:

By the way, I've noticed that navigating the forum from an android phone is pretty irritating, as there seems to be no quick link to the forums masterpage, and I have to navigate through a few pages just to get there.

It's actually not too bad:

1. Click the menu button on the page (the three bars icon on the top right).
2. You'll probably need to scroll wayyyyy over to the right to see the actual menu.
3. Click "Browse >"
4 Click "Forums"

That will take you to the main forums listing.

"<insert that tiresome argument>" I can say it now instead of it being replaced by "That Tiresome Argument...?"

Looks like that still works, kind of...

Edited by xboxtravis7992

3 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

"<insert that tiresome argument>" I can say it now instead of it being replaced by "That Tiresome Argument...?"

Looks like that still works, kind of...

Nope. Still can't say juniorized. :sceptic: so at least the important censors are still working.

@Darkdragon: thanks. That actually helps. Still wish there was an easy button like before, but now at least I don't have to tour through 3 different pages to get back to the overall listing. Thanks! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat.

Edited by Dannylonglegs

23 minutes ago, Dannylonglegs said:

Nope. Still can't say juniorized. :sceptic: so at least the important censors are still working.

@Darkdragon: thanks. That actually helps. Still wish there was an easy button like before, but now at least I don't have to tour through 3 different pages to get back to the overall listing. Thanks! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat.

<insert that tiresome argument>? 

Why is junior and ized together censored 

Edited by pittpenguin123

Is there a way besides BBCode to type in custom colors (i.e. as defined by hex values), or are we just stuck with the predefined color palette unless we use BBCode?  I don't mind using BBCode for custom colors (it's what I'm used to), it's just a little odd to have to use BBCode for that specifically when Invision is very clearly pushing super hard for us to use this rich-text editor, and it's awkward to have to use BBCode for color while trying to use the bold/italic/underline buttons for all the other formatting.

Same question for spoilers, too; I assume it's just a matter of a button for spoilers not yet being added to the editor, but I thought I'd ask here in case I'm just a blind fool. :blush:

Edited by Flipz

I really think the non-stylized rank should be removed and replaced with the join date. It makes a lot of sense to include the join date among basic profile info.

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but... I miss the "jump to the first unread post" button.

Hey guys,

good job with the update board. Still getting use to new layout tho.

I found 2 problems:

1. As Rotundus said - missing "jump to the first unread post" button in the topics. It was very useful feature.

2. My signature - link to YouTube playlist autochange to big embeded video. It was just a text link. In signature panel there is no option for bbcode editing and I have no idea how to change embeded video back to the text link.

18 minutes ago, Kalais said:

Hey guys,

good job with the update board. Still getting use to new layout tho.

I found 2 problems:

1. As Rotundus said - missing "jump to the first unread post" button in the topics. It was very useful feature.

2. My signature - link to YouTube playlist autochange to big embeded video. It was just a text link. In signature panel there is no option for bbcode editing and I have no idea how to change embeded video back to the text link.

1. You can still go to the first unread post of a topic simply by clicking the brick icon in front of it in the forum view or the star icon in front of it in the activity view.

2. Go to your account settings and then to signature. Delete the video you have there now. Paste the link of the video back in. It will display as a video, but at the bottom of the editor a popup message will appear saying "Your link has been automatically embedded. Display as link instead" Just click the underlined part, and there you have it as a link. Then you press the chain icon in your editor with the link selected, and then you can chose the display text of the link. The result is the link below:

testing youtube links

14 minutes ago, BEAVeR said:

1. You can still go to the first unread post of a topic simply by clicking the brick icon in front of it in the forum view or the star icon in front of it in the activity view.

Cool!  Thanks... I never knew that was what that was for.  I guess that's what I get for not clicking on stuff.

It's going to take a little time to get used to all the changes... But maybe this upgrade isn't so bad after all. :classic: Good job!

Edited by Rotundus

Again about the Rich Text Editor:

1. It seems that SHIFT + Enter is not a way to add a single new line instead than two, but a way to add a completely different type of character, a " Line break without paragraph change". The abuse of this character (many users will use it to avoid double spacing) will generate a mess, because the meaning of that character is different from its real use (it don't interrupt paragraphs!).
    Besides I noticed that it don't works very fine, and I've to add and remove it more than one time.
  2. I can't find an important feature in the new editor: the chance to add plain text. Pasting text from other sources is often a pain, and mess up all the formatting of the paragraph, so I've to open a text editor, paste the text and then copy it again in order to remove the formatting.
    Usually the plain text is pasted using SHIFT+paste. 

and please... add back the number of the posts inside a topic! It is a very comfortable reference and I often use it to manage my indexes in the LDD Official Sets topic.
What about adding LEGO digital files (and maybe zip files) to the allowed files as attachment?

@Kalais @BEAVeR
In my experience, in order to add a video as a text link, it is enough to insert the URL using the "Link" button instead then simply paste the URL of the video in the topic.

Edited by Calabar

When I right click on the word Quote to open it in a new tab, it just re-opens the page.  Is there no separate page for creating posts anymore?

1 hour ago, BEAVeR said:

2. Go to your account settings and then to signature. Delete the video you have there now. Paste the link of the video back in. It will display as a video, but at the bottom of the editor a popup message will appear saying "Your link has been automatically embedded. Display as link instead" Just click the underlined part, and there you have it as a link. Then you press the chain icon in your editor with the link selected, and then you can chose the display text of the link. The result is the link below:

testing youtube links

1. Yes, but when you load topic from bookmarks, or just simply get direct link to the topic there is no option to go " jump to the first unread post " . I think it is not user-friendly and anti-usablity ;)

2. Thanks! It works!

One more question, how to make 1 link from image and text in sig? I have 4 links limit and trying to make YouTube icon clickable counts it as 5th link...

31 minutes ago, Calabar said:

@Kalais @BEAVeR

In my experience, in order to add a video as a text link, it is enough to insert the URL using the "Link" button instead then simply paste the URL of the video in the topic.

Works perfect :) Thanks :)

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

When I right click on the word Quote to open it in a new tab, it just re-opens the page.  Is there no separate page for creating posts anymore?

Why do you want a new tab just to post a reply? Is it because you want to keep reading the thread before submitting a post? If so, you should use the multiquote function (for some reason it's now a + sign), then post your comments once you've finished reading every page. Saves you changing your post as you go, while the thread journeys along. If not I don't know what you're after.

5 hours ago, Calabar said:

I can't find an important feature in the new editor: the chance to add plain text.

1. Click the Code button ( < > )
2. Select "No Syntax Highlighting" from the dropdown in the popup window
3. Paste your text

5 hours ago, Kalais said:

Yes, but when you load topic from bookmarks, or just simply get direct link to the topic

That is how it's always worked, the link has to have some sort of code to tell the server where to start (like the last unread post or whatever).

5 hours ago, x105Black said:

4 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Why do you want a new tab just to post a reply? Is it because you want to keep reading the thread before submitting a post? If so, you should use the multiquote function (for some reason it's now a + sign), then post your comments once you've finished reading every page. Saves you changing your post as you go, while the thread journeys along. If not I don't know what you're after.

I have this issue too. I use the function a lot when I'm judging contest entries so it's pretty important for me. The "open in new tab" option works for other ares of the forum like for thread topics, just not within a thread for pages or individual replies.

The lack of an Undo button is really painful for clumsy people like myself. :cry_sad:

No idea if we had an undo button before, but Ctrl-Z does the job just fine.

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

No idea if we had an undo button before, but Ctrl-Z does the job just fine.

I suppose it does. :blush:

I'm sure we had one before, but it was possibly only on the full editor (rather than a quick reply box at the bottom of the topic's page).

Hello could a admin mind looking into my "member privileges" ,as I am a "editor" I am supposed to have "powers"  to edit/lock/unlock topic's on the technic forum in order to maintain the HOF but I seemed to have lost them.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan