Bonaparte

Forum Upgrade

Just now, Robert8 said:

@Sir Gareth @BrickJagger but the ranks are irrelevant anyway

After the Knight rank, everything is pretty much the same

I guess that's true but I was just trying to figure out where my posts went.

You quoting me actually just made a noise on my computer. *huh*

Also, according to my profile I'm still a fetus. Surprising.

Yes. Quotes algo send notifications now

I told you, this like the NASA now :laugh:

Edited by Robert8

Speaking of NASA, the user listing on the bottom of the main forum page used to show an asterik * at the end of your username if you signed in anonymously. 
 It doesn't seem to do that any more.

Something new - linking a topic results in a topic preview like the above, which looks way better than just a plain text link.

8 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Speaking of NASA, the user listing on the bottom of the main forum page used to show an asterik * at the end of your username if you signed in anonymously. 

It doesn't seem to do that any more.

Yeah what's up with the whole wonky anonymity thing. My profile actually has a last seen date on it now. People know I've BEEN HERE.

7 minutes ago, Gnac said:

Yeah what's up with the whole wonky anonymity thing. My profile actually has a last seen date on it now. People know I've BEEN HERE.

I'll third this, then. I don't think anonymity is working, since I've been on Anon since 3 weeks ago, but no longer am. I'm visible again! aah!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Great find @BrickJagger 

It seems that this "hot" feature only appears when viewing the sub-forum topic list... As I spent most of my time in the Activity list (what used to be "View New Content") I didn't notice it earlier.

I remember back in the good old days that this "hot" feature is a popular forum / discussion board mod ... It appears when a topic received a lot of replies for a certain period of time.

Edited by makoy

...oh dear, it looks like many links to individual posts are broken entirely.  That's going to mess up a LOT of stuff in Heroica... :look:

(Example: see the link to Zanna's stats, as opposed to the link to Arthur's stats in my signature. Also, join/re-join Heroica while you're at it. :grin:)

Just now, BrickJagger said:

Any way to disable getting an email for a new reply to any topic you posted in but are not following?

Click the bell icon at the top and choose "Notification Settings", I'm still unclear myself on what corresponds to what, but I'm slowly figuring out the wording. :blush:

1 minute ago, Flipz said:

Click the bell icon at the top and choose "Notification Settings", I'm still unclear myself on what corresponds to what, but I'm slowly figuring out the wording. :blush:

Ah, thanks. Looks like you have to choose an option for the middle setting though. 

@BrickJagger

If you already disabled notifications for "New content for things I follow" and "Someone comments on something I follow" then the notification you are getting could be due to "Someone quotes a comment or post I made" (you made) or in this case, as I mention you in this post "Someone mentions me in a post"

If you don't want email entirely, just disable all the email options there.

Edited by makoy

Loving the new layout, very crisp and clean. Glad to see many old issues being resolved, and some welcome new functionality being introduced. Big thanks to everyone who's been working on this behind the scenes. :thumbup:

If I can report something, the icon in the browser tab is two red parallel lines instead of the classic EB blue 2x2. :blush:

3 minutes ago, mediumsnowman said:

If I can report something, the icon in the browser tab is two red parallel lines instead of the classic EB blue 2x2

I think that might be an issue on your end. I haven't seen anything like that all day, including now.

13 minutes ago, mediumsnowman said:

If I can report something, the icon in the browser tab is two red parallel lines instead of the classic EB blue 2x2.

I don't think Jim will be too pleased about the return of THE DREADED PLESK FAVICON

56 minutes ago, Darkdragon said:

I think that might be an issue on your end. I haven't seen anything like that all day, including now.

48 minutes ago, Gnac said:

I don't think Jim will be too pleased about the return of THE DREADED PLESK FAVICON

Seems to be working fine now. Who knows? :look:

Now I wish I had taken a screenshot.

9 hours ago, KikoTube said:

And another question. Why can u only search for Things after 30 seconds ?. It´s pretty irritating (I know it was on the old Forum aswell but why?)

It is to reduce load on the server. Alternatively, you can always use Google and start a search with "site:eurobricks.com"

7 hours ago, Gnac said:

About 15 years ago I used to run a forum-based website on my own, and I dreaded each major version update of the board software because I had no idea if I'd be able to carry over my themes and code customisations without breaking something or starting from scratch.

All the theming had to be redone entirely from scratch. Hinck worked on that pretty much on his own. I'm sure he'll read through your comments and tweak the theme here and there based on all of your feedback.

4 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Edit: How on Earth did my post count go from 2084 to 1999? :wacko:

Over time we made some changes as to what counts towards your post count and what doesn't. Most notably, posts in Community do not count anymore. Probably the board upgrade caused a recount and some of your old posts in Community are now ignored in your post count.

1 hour ago, mediumsnowman said:

Seems to be working fine now. Who knows? :look:

Now I wish I had taken a screenshot.

It probably was a caching issue then as the Plesk control panel showed up for a short while when Bonaparte was working on the server.

Is there some high contrast theme possible. This is too bright and theres bad separation between posts.

I like the new look. Yes, the update has a few problems at the moment but I guess that's to be expected. I'm sure they'll be sorted out soon.

Thanks to all who gave and are still giving their time the make our website the best it can be.

It will take a bit of getting used to, but I really like the new design! :thumbup:

A couple of things I have noticed however, hopefully they haven't been mentioned in the previous 6 pages :grin::

Text in signatures is very pale, too pale to read easily on some monitors.  It can be adjusted in the edit signature option, though the colour change seems to be a forum wide thing.

Is there a way to set the forum to stop coming up with the "website would like to show desktop notification" option?  Perhaps a setting that could be adjusted in the user notification options would be useful.

And lastly, is harder to see the division between the pinned and normal topics in sub forums like GOH.  The old design was much easier to use in that respect.  A bar of colour between the pinned and standard posts would be really great.

Thanks Mods for all the hard work!

EDIT:

I just noticed that the icon in my bookmark of the site has gone from the 2 x 2 brick with the stars, to just a blank space.  Might just be an issue with Safari though.

Edited by BrickCurve

Just now, Robert8 said:

@WhiteFang how did you change your cover pic? 

And, there is a notification to it as well, while I am working on my work as I leave my EB browser on. 

You can look under top right-hand tab for your profile. After clicking, look around for 'cover photo' and from there you can do magic. 

Wow. I didn't realise I'd made 700 posts in Community. I realised at some point that posts over there weren't being added but it somehow feels cold to have them all taken off at once. ;)