Bonaparte

Forum Upgrade

My apologies I was not aware that the system is still being upgraded. I was directed here from the front page and it doesn't say anything, and I thought I'd let you know the problems I'm having. Thanks again for all your work over the past 2 days, much appreciated! 

1 minute ago, Paperballpark said:

Great job guys! It does look different, but the mobile version of the site is much better - logging in on the old mobile version was such a pain in the a**!

It will take a little time to get used to 'return' creating a space after the previous line though.

One question, is it possible for me to alter the max-width of the forums? I'd love it with a bit of a border each side, rather than stretching the whole way across my 1920 wide monitor.

Thanks! :)

Valid question. I have a 2560 pixel wide screen and it's....well....wide.

Let me check if we can max out the width or someting.

Thanks admin team!

3 minutes ago, Robianco said:

There a eems to be an issue with Safari as the new site is not displaying on my Mac but is OK with other browsers. Hopefully these are just teething troubles and the next 48hrs or so will see things settle down.

There is nothing wrong on my Mac on Safari... I'm still on version 9.1.3... tried it just now.

To add a comment on design - compared to the old one, the new design has less contrast...?

I don't know if it is a feature that is turned off or a setting somewhere, but on the mobile version on the old system, when I clicked on a topic it would take me to the last first unread entry. Currently it takes me to the first post. It would be great if that could be extended to the desktop version.

Good job on the upgrade, I'm sure it will look nice once it is complete. (Being a system admin myself I know how hard web software upgrades can be, and the heartbreak of losing years of content)

Okay, my first thought after seeing this was a bit negative, but after going through a few topics it doesn't seem much different from the old software, at least on the surface - I'm sure it'll be as usable as the old one. Even after playing with it for just a few minutes I am already feeling way better about it.

A few suggestions (if those haven't been considered already/these are just my personal opinion): 

I for one would be glad about getting the quote button back on the right side, as it is a bit more out of the way that way (Right now it jumps into my face each post, especially on shorter posts)

As well as that, is it possible to get the "insert Image" back next to the hyperlink? Going through "insert other media" seems inconvenient for those who use it.

Interesting. I'm digging the clean new style, and I look forward to seeing what it looks like once the bugs are fixed. Kudos, guys!

I'm sure you guys will adapt to this new design, which to be honest is really praiseworthy itself, but I guess we'll have to wait until the upgrade is done fully :classic:

First off, I like the update. Looks much sharper, more modern. 

But I do miss the "content" bit, where you could see all the topics you created/commented on, and if there was anything new. Would be great to have that function back (or if it is included here, could someone point me there?). It is a huge time-saver, especially for viewing if the current quest I'm in has an update (Heroica Hall). 

That is my only nit-pick at the moment, overall I really like it!

Thanks to everyone who took part in spending their time upgrading the site! 

I love the new look, and I've not found any real issues as of yet but as you've said it's all updating still.

One little thing I do really like is the notifications I'm getting :) I'm sure they were available before but I never got them so it's all new to me!

Thanks for bringing the forums back online sooner than later.  Software upgrades can be a real test of Murphy's Law and admin's stamina.

I am finding the bright white and light grey hard to read too.  There is not enough contrast between the two for the older than dirt users.  A darker grey may work better.  :classic:

Is a list of things still being worked on?

Thanks for the answer(s) , I just wanted to say that it looks bad , and shown all my remarks . 

Sorry if I have offended somebody with this , I understand it is a lot of work , but the fact is that it looks horrible , I hope it willl be like the original, if it is going to be more similar to how it is now I'm really dissapointed. When writing the original post I understood that the site will have minor corrections. I really hope to be able to enjoy it as before .

Sorry.

New remark: The notifications for quoted posts aren't separated, but it is shown like: Name, Name and Name have quoted your post.

Edited by LXF

I don't like the new skin. While I'm sure the most obvious issues (like dark grey font agains dark blue background in some places) will eventually get fixed, I'm not too keen on all the white... Maybe darker grey between the posts in a topic would be better?

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Valid question. I have a 2560 pixel wide screen and it's....well....wide.

Let me check if we can max out the width or someting.

Actually, I just downloaded an add-on for Firefox called Custom Style Script, and added the following CSS, which does the job nicely :)

#ipsLayout_contentWrapper {

max-width: 1200px;

margin-left: auto;

margin-right: auto;

}

A more permanent solution would be great, but I don't know how many other members it would upset...!

Edited by Paperballpark

Everyone needs to chill out.  Let these guys work on the site, and not have to come back here all day addressing complaints.

Admins/Mods, can you guys post a special topic when you are done and use it to solicit feedback in one convenient location?

Mobile user, here.

Everything looks good so far, I like that the mobile version has incorporated some of the functionality of the desktop site while still keeping the look clean and easy to navigate on a small screen.

Thanks admins for all you do. I didn't know I was so dependent on EB until yesterday when I had serious withdrawls...

3 minutes ago, kibosh said:

Everyone needs to chill out.  Let these guys work on the site, and not have to come back here all day addressing complaints.

Admins/Mods, can you guys post a special topic when you are done and use it to solicit feedback in one convenient location?

You're looking at it :laugh:

Thanks for understanding. I don't think there will actually be a "done" moment. There will be continuous progress and hopefully things will get back to normal in days/weeks....

Just now, Jim said:

You're looking at it :laugh:

Thanks for understanding. I don't think there will actually be a "done" moment. There will be continuous progress and hopefully things will get back to normal in days/weeks....

So you do want us to offer feedback in this thread?  I thought you guys were still working on things.  Would it make more sense for people to offer feedback after your own internal punch list is completed?

3 minutes ago, rodiziorobs said:

Mobile user, here.

Everything looks good so far, I like that the mobile version has incorporated some of the functionality of the desktop site while still keeping the look clean and easy to navigate on a small screen.

Thanks admins for all you do. I didn't know I was so dependent on EB until yesterday when I had serious withdrawls...

Is the an app to view the website, or are you mobile users just looking at it in your browsers?

I use mobile and so far it looks nice. My profile picture is now gone so I'm not to sure on how to put it back with the new update.  Thank you to everyone who have been spending time to update the website.

2 hours ago, makoy said:

The BB codes are still disabled... would be great to have a list of what changed?

For example, the "Activity" tab is new -- I suppose it replaces "View New Content" ?

Once the Admins are finished with the basic tweaks to get things working as normal (and the scripts are finished running), I will update the Visual User Guide thread with all the new stuff/instructions.

6 minutes ago, DaRealGoomba said:

This is absolute garbage on mobile. More than usual.

Seriously.  How is this helpful?  Go find a different website.  Or better yet, start your own, and you can make it look the way you want.

Running a forum is a tiring, difficult, thankless, exhausting job.  Give these guys a break, and lay of the negativity.

Thanks to the admins and mods! The forum looks good and clean, not quire used to it yet (first day) but I think it will be very nice.

Thanks for getting it back , I was having some minor withdrawals yesterday.

Andy D

ps. What is the "Insert other media" button at the bottom of the reply area?

Edited by Andy D