Sign in to follow this  
RetroInferno

The state of The Brick Show

I went analyzed views of all major Lego reviewers recently ( growth and subscriptions ) and while JangBricks sky-rocketed for the last year, the complete inverse happened to The Brick Show. Their view count diminished to a third of what they used to reach last year ( around TFA ), their reviews comes later and they also seem to have lost access to some of the Lego Ambassador perks ( Getting sets free and earlier ).

I've never been a big fan of their content, but these guys have been around for the last 6 years and at the pace they are going I don't see them producing content after the up-coming 6 months. I think it can be explained by the fact that Jang worked and invested an absurd amount of time working on his channel ( he reviewed everything released by Lego for at least 2 years now ) and people simply shifted to his channel or Brickvault.

Any thoughts on the state of this channel?

I don't particularly care, really. I watched some of their reviews a couple years ago and they were horribly long and obnoxious, the reviewer took up most of the screen rather than the actual set... Jang and Sariel do far superior reviews, and between the two of them they review EVERYTHING. So I have no wish or need to watch the Brick Show, ever.

I think their view counts was soo high because no other medium than them produced so much content back in the days.

It's just curious to see something that lasted that long crumble in a few months.

I used to really like them a lot. I can't say I dislike them now, but the show has lost a little something. Part of my "lost" interest is that Lego isn't producing new sets I really care to watch reviews on, so that's hardly their fault.

IMO things change when youtubers get to big for their britches. It seems like the focus changes from Lego sets to other factors. My favorite Lego reviewers have never shifted away from Lego being the star of the show. That's why, for my reviews, I never appear on screen.

I still like Brickshow, but id be lying if I didn't say I think it's changed. But having said that. I'd take them in a heartbeat over Brickqueen.

I wish them well, they pretty much started the whole review phenomenon.

I like Jang a lot, he's the most objective reviewer out there, although I like subjectivity in a review a lot depending on the source material. I like getting a median opinion of a set compared to my own.

Brickqueen is still alive??? Jeeesus Chriiist.....

JANGBRiCKS is my favorite reviewer, because he reviewed MEGA BLOKS and other too.

I also watch reviews from TheBrickShow, Just2Good, BrickVault.

My problem with Just2Good and BrickVault is that they are a little bit blind and/or egoistic sometimes. They only talk about marked or prices in north america or britain, but they forget that Europe has some other countrys too like Germany, France, Italy and others. Lego makes by far the most sales in Europe, specifically Germany. In my opinion it's not too difficult to talk about €uro prices too, not only dollars and pounds. Sometimes they even say that only Americans and British watch their videos, they forget that people in Germany, France etc. use YouTube too and watch they videos.

Its not a big deal for me, but sometimes it's a strange feeling.

Brickqueen... yes I watch their videos too, but with quiet sound

Edited by Florian_Wayne

I can only speak for myself obviously, but I like channels that a Lego centric, but not just reviews based. Like I enjoy seeing peoples actual collections and MOCS, as well as reviews. But again, I like Lego to be the real star. That is one of my complaints with The Brickshow as of late, they spend to much time in front of the camera. I genuinely like the guys, I do, but I would cut their screen time in half. Another thing I would change, is the amount of videos they release. I feel like they put out to many videos. Sometimes less is more. Instead of having 5 updates a day, maybe only have 1 but cover everything at once.

Jangbricks is the best reviewer out there by a longshot, in my opinion. From his setup to his commentary, everything is perfect.

Brickshow used to be great. All of the random skits they had in there videos were pretty funny, but nowadays they just seem cardboard and everything sounds forced.

It's safe to say they're falling off. Hopefully they get it together.

Jangbricks has to be good since his YouTube revenue funds his LEGO buying. He is not support by LEGO and buys his sets through regular retail so he says.

The Brick Show guys are running around and doing conventions/shows all the time whereas Jang puts his time into his channel, so their YouTube goals might be different. I watch Jang most of the time, but one thing I do like about Brick Show is their coverage of other people's MOCs at shows.

I haven't watched Brick Show in about a year, but I could tell something about them changed. They focused more on themselves rather than what's being showcased. I mean I think they're genuinely good people but their content has gone south.

As for other reviewers, the main two I watch and are subbed to are Jangbrick and Just2Good, both rising phoenixes from the ashes of TBS. J2G covers a lot of news and Jang does brilliant reviews covering all the bases, so really they're the two I go to if I'm on the fence about a set. Both of their presentations are similar though J2G is a bit rougher around the edges than Jang, but they both put Lego center stage and leave no stone unturned. Both are worthy successors IMO

I stopped watching the Brick Show for a couple of reasons. One of the guys talks a bit in excess and gets sidetracked. He uses really redundant sentences that take away from the review content, and result in very long videos.

The minifig review videos I think have been superseded by BrickVault. Those guys provide superior collection videos with 360° views, information of the sets the figures came in, and prices. I guess the guys from the Brick Show even started feeling a little jealous, because on their Iron Man collection video they put a comment saying "Missing the Toy Fair Iron Man".

I like the minifig wall, but given that JangBricks provides better and more detailed reviews, BrickVault provides the absolute best minifig reviews on Youtube, and The Brick Show doesn't really MOC that much, I have not that much of a reason to watch them anymore.