Sign in to follow this  
Bingo Little

Beowulf MoC Part I: Grendel and Heorot

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum

þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon

hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

(For any mods wondering that's the first line of Beowulf in the original old English, translated as 'Listen! We --of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings-- heard of their glory. how those nobles performed courageous deeds.')

Turning to a rather earlier part of the middle ages than most Castle builds, this is the first in a three build series I made last year based on the Anglo Saxon epic poem Beowulf, the longest surviving work in Old English. The story of Beowulf revolves around three fights between Beowulf and different monsters. First up is Grendel, a lumbering giant descended from the biblical Cain, who terrorises the golden hall of Heorot every night to stop the music and feasting there. Beowulf wrestles with the monster and tears off its arm, leaving him to run back to his lair to

CJawgUB.jpg

VCXuPBP.jpg

siC2AsV.jpg

2uoVgtU.jpg

oJakzTbg.jpg

A few more pictures can be found here.

Fun fact: in the lord of the rings books, Meduseld was very much based on Heorot, both Golden halls of saxon-esque kings. Astute fans here might notice that, in this case, the visual influence has definitely flowed in the other direction!

Constructive feedback welcome, but this is long since demolished and so I may be unable to take it on board with immediate effect... :P

Parts two and three to come!

Great use of the Chima bigfig for Grendel! It took me a second to realize what it was. And the ambience of the lodge is nice, too :thumbup:

Edited by rodiziorobs

hey I really like the scene, but even more the idea of MOCcing Beowulf! Do you happen to have watched the series? Your MOC reminds me a lot of the Heorot depicted in the 'cartoonised' version of the film, so maybe you happen to have watched that (too/instead)?

As for the poem, is that actually old English? Wow, I'm impressed to say the least o.o

hey I really like the scene, but even more the idea of MOCcing Beowulf! Do you happen to have watched the series? Your MOC reminds me a lot of the Heorot depicted in the 'cartoonised' version of the film, so maybe you happen to have watched that (too/instead)?

As for the poem, is that actually old English? Wow, I'm impressed to say the least o.o

I haven't actually seen the cartoon! The only adaptation I'm familiar with is the Robert Zemeckis film from the mid 2000s - and the least said about that, the better...

That's what old English looks like! A lot closer to dutch or german than modern English, to put it mildly...

yes exactly - it doesn't have anything to do with modern Eng - I had no idea!

as for the film, I never seen that one [I'll check it out, just for the sake of it], but once I was looking for something on that line and I found this 'film' which was actually kind of cartoonised (more similar to The Elder Scroll games, to give you the idea) - it wasn't that bad.

what about the series? did you watch it? If so, did you like it? I'm told the majority of the audience hated it, so it's not likely to appear again with season two..