Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

Displaying at events: How to get started?

Hello all,

Recently, my display cabinet became filled with MOCs, for the first time. Then, I realized something: I now have plenty of stuff to display at a convention! So, I tried to find out how to get into displaying MOCs at LEGO events, but I didn't find the info I was looking for.

I know events come in all shapes and sizes. First of all, I think Dutch and Belgian events would be the most realistic to look at. Do you have to be a member of a LUG or other type of club, like "De Bouwsteen", for example? Do events select certain MOCs you can display? How about the costs?

If you could help me out with this, that'd be great! :classic:

As someone who does model train shows, as well as someone who displays Lego at model train shows, at least in my area the cost of exhibiting is absolutely free. The people who pay to be at the show are vendors selling their wares and the public who want to see the model trains. Usually the only thing a show coordinator needs of it's exhibitors is for them to be there so they can answer questions from the public and potentially operate their display. Although most of the groups in these model train shows are clubs, we've had private individuals come to our shows to display their show layouts. Usually for a model train show, the show coordinator asks the dimensions of your layout, and they work to find you space on the show room floor.

I'm not sure if this is any different from a Lego-centric convention, since I've never been to one (le gasp!), but I'd recommend doing it at least once. If anything, it's a good learning experience and you get to meet people who share the same love for your hobby. :classic:

I have done two solo events and am prepping for number three. Prior to that I did Brickworld 2014 with all the great EB crew.

Now, I ended up displaying last year for the first time solo as my sister volunteered me. Our friend owns a Comic Book shop and he and some of his friends were putting on a Comic Con in a local event centre. They needed "attractions" and my sister is one of my biggest fans so she said I would bring LEGO models to show.

After not keeling over from stress (I can be a little high strung) and having a lot of fun meeting fans and impressing the kids I agreed to return this year. This year was a lot easier for me and while I was there, an acquaintance introduced me to someone who runs a slightly bigger con as this guy wanted me to display at his event!

The bonus for this, is I can dig out some of my stuff I showed last year as it will be a new audience!

So, on to the advice part:

It was helpful to me that I had experienced a public display as part of a team (members of which had displayed many times before) as it gave me an idea of what happens without all the stress of going solo. I was warned about grabby kids and adults who do not respect the request not to touch. I learned about putting the more rare figures and parts in the middle of the table (or back, if you have a wall).

For the first solo display, my first day was hectic. The kids wanted to play and my MOCs were for display. On the second day I asked for a spare table and brought my "Monkey Box" this is actually a big mix of childhood clone brands, more recent purchases (for figure accessories) and anything I fish out of mixed lots from charity/garage sale buys. The bricks were still decent enough quality and variety that the kids could play happily, without the problem of losing the display.

This year, I went right away with the box and a small street scene the kids could put together a superhero battle on. This was supervised to avoid losing any figures!

So my main advice is: If it is not a wholly LEGO event, expect a lot of kids to think they can play with the bricks and bring something sacrificial for their amusement. Signs help, (No touching please / Display not Play etc and Play Well! for the things they can play with).

Getting into an event while not part of a LUG is another thing entirely... I know a lot of LUGs are fortunate to have contacts and members who are involved with the right circles. Museums, Toy Shops/Comic Shops, Model Train conventions and such are places people mostly display. So, if you are not in a LUG and they are not local enough for you to join in, then try and check out local hobbyist places. Tabletop gaming, trains, comics; they all have gatherings somewhere a little larger than the store and you might get to meet someone who organises an event. Find something that is suited to your MOCs that is close enough to travel to. They will have a facebook page or website you can probably apply to be an exhibitor through.77

As kintobor said, they usually let people exhibit for free, as this attracts people in to go buy

Give it a go, hope that works out!

Thanks, both of you, for sharing your advice and experiences! :classic:

I don't think that I'm going to display solo or in a non-LEGO themed setting anytime soon, though. I'd like to have company from fellow builders. :wink:

The local or area shows are the easiest to begin with because you travel a short distance and can stay at home overnight. And it is easier to move your displays locally than a long distance to a show. It also gives you a chance to meet more locals, who may become your AFOL friends over time. Once you see how a smaller show works, you will feel more confident displaying at a larger one.

The main costs for the large LEGO conventions seem to be travel related; in the States there often is a long drive and maybe a flight or two required to make a national show. And the hotel nights and meals away can add up before you know it. Most registration fees are under $75. if you exhibit at a multiday event. You can start with small builds at a large convention, which is a great idea for novices and those who don't want to haul around a huge, fragile build that might collapse on our dreadful Interstate highways.

After most large events, someone will post tons of photos, which can teach you a lot about the show before you attend. This will help you see what types of builds folks take to a particular show. And many of the large conventions have a different special theme each year, which can affect what folks build. Good luck putting your feet in the water....it can be a long slide into a wonderful hobby with many outstanding events.

It helps to be part of a LUG. You don't have but it easier as sometimes people will contact a LUG to display at their events. The other thing is make sure your MOCs are appropriate for the audience at the event. No easier way to get not invited back next year than showing inappropriate material.

There are different type of displays--interactive and non-interactive. Interactive ones, you have to be physically there and may have to answer the same questions over and over again with the public crowds. Non-interactive, you put your MOCs in a display cabinet at the location and leave them for the duration of the agreed period. Those can be less stressful if you don't like crowds.

One big note: Be ready to improvise.

Barely halfway to the city and I had to brake suddenly. It broke what is essentially the centrepiece of my MOC display. I am talking complete ground zero.

But, once I had the box on the table and the base of clear, I got fixing. As my sister called it: "Getting your Wyldstyle on." 

The MOC may not have been what I started with this morning, but it is a build and others setting up their comic stalls (etc) were impressed at the phoenix rising from the ashes. 

Try to go local especially if it's your first time, find out if your public library/bookstores/comic shops have display cases or hold events. Good to get your feet wet so to speak without the costs of travel/lodging/etc. Don't be afraid to ask and have some pics ready to show your works.

AC

Thanks for your advice, AC!

I got invited by a fellow EB member to join BeLUG and be part of Brick Mania Antwerp 2016. :sweet: Could not resist that offer!  

On 6/25/2019 at 6:26 PM, lswmocs said:

has anyone from the UK ever displayed at a convention?

Yes.

Many times now. 8 solo at comic cons and once with Eurobricks. I am displaying again in September. There are also a few specific LEGO cons too, Birmingham and London have one and there is a Brickish Association display in Swindon.

I had forgotten I posted this topic! :blush: I've been at quite a number of events since posting that, maybe I should edit the first post and add some of my experiences. :classic:

9 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Yes.

Many times now. 8 solo at comic cons and once with Eurobricks. I am displaying again in September. There are also a few specific LEGO cons too, Birmingham and London have one and there is a Brickish Association display in Swindon.

How do you find out when these conventions are on?

3 hours ago, lswmocs said:

How do you find out when these conventions are on?

Well, the comic cons are organised by a friend of mine. So I have an agreement that I show MOCs at the event. Other events I found out about on google or through facebook. If you find a local LUG to join, they often have displays and events also.

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Well, the comic cons are organised by a friend of mine. So I have an agreement that I show MOCs at the event. Other events I found out about on google or through facebook. If you find a local LUG to join, they often have displays and events also.

Okay. Thank you for your help. I would like to join a lug but don't know of any local ones

On 6/27/2019 at 6:38 PM, lswmocs said:

Okay. Thank you for your help. I would like to join a lug but don't know of any local ones

Hi :) Maybe I am late with the answer, but I hope it will help others with similar issues: to find LUG (LEGO User Group) in your region, use the LAN (LEGO Ambassador Network) community locator map (link)- just find your region, and you will see all (reckognized) clubs that are close, with contact of ambassadors, and usually a club site

Next step would be to contact ambassador and ask about the info you desire, and you can also broswe trough site

On a personal note, joining community can do amazing things for an AFOL - you meet a ton of adults with similar interest, you get included in project and activities, and you (possibly) get access to bricks (essecially trough reckognized or rogue LUGs - reckognized means TLG (The LEGO COmpany) has reckognized them as LEGO User Group and provides special oportunities to buy bricks (for example lugbulk, where you can choose certain amount of lots for very good prices, but know that prices are sensitive information and secured only for those who participate in program, good example from your country was Sheffild LUG (SLUG) who later merged with Fairy bricks, also reckognized community), and rogue means clubs who used to be reckognized and used to be involved, but lost reckognition, yet kept connections with CSRs managers,(Certified LEGO Store) sellers, re-sellers, dark-sellers, Networks around PaBs (Pick a Brick service in Original LEGO Stores) and other sources of bricks (when we are talking about bricks), and other communities (when we are talking about activity and socializing) (sadly my community is example of it, Beokocka)

In any case, I wholeheartedly recommend joining community, as benefits are huge, and so many of diferent kind, especially when friendship and activities are in question