Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17 Rumors and Discussion

About the looks of the Highwayman, I quote myself from last month:

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:59 PM, gedren_y said:

I think the Highwayman, if that's what he's supposed to be, is something akin to this:

32600127220_da2c51192d_o.jpg

This is where I found the pic. I cropped the second image to fit the site guidelines.

Is "the Highwayman" in that form really a thing outside of a reasonably obscure French movie from 15+ years ago?

1 minute ago, SirBlake said:

Reasonably obscure French movie from 15+ years ago?

Hahaha, that what I keep thinking of, too, whenever I see that picture.I just want to get on and have it slow-mo beat up a bunch of ruffians in the rain/mud.

I wonder if they might release the set with the ? figure as it is now. Maybe they"ll have a few variations of it? It would certainly change things up.

If you followed the link below the image you would find that the coat is an actual purchasable item, and that the image is not from a movie. The guy wearing it models a few items on the site. The website is called Museum Replicas, and though they do have some licensed items, most of the costume apparel is designed from real historical clothing. It was just what I thought the fig might resemble.

10 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

If you followed the link below the image you would find that the coat is an actual purchasable item, and that the image is not from a movie. The guy wearing it models a few items on the site. The website is called Museum Replicas, and though they do have some licensed items, most of the costume apparel is designed from real historical clothing. It was just what I thought the fig might resemble.

Yeah, but that piece from museum replicas is a non-licensed copy replicating Brotherhood of the Wolf, for cosplay, not an actual historical piece. 

I've been buying from MR since the 90's, and I remember when that was added after the movie. 

Edit: I'm not saying that coat isn't historically accurate, just that representation, especially with a bo staff is extremely referential to the film imagery. 

Edited by SirBlake

At this point Whitefang probably already got a box for the review

So, he knows how the Highwayman looks like :look:

Oh, well okay. I've never seen the movie, but the coat does seem proper for the period. The costumer did a good job then.

Whitefang is good about keeping what he knows to himself, so as to ensure his status as a reviewer. I expect him to post nothing until the Lego approved date.

Edited by gedren_y

12 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

At this point Whitefang probably already got a box for the review

So, he knows how the Highwayman looks like :look:

Or does he? Highwayman might be a gimmick, a limited fig like Mr Gold. (I hope not).

I just don't understand the idea. If he really is a Highwayman...why? That seems a little too obscure for even the Minifigures line, especially if he's some sort of mystery gimmick. In fact, nobody wearing a tricorne and a cape seems suitable for the honor. 

I'm sure someone would have the info on the figure by now. I think it will stay a mystery figure for the release. They probably feel it's time to change things up a little which is fine with me. It would make the "hunt" more interesting. Maybe it's an animal suit figure and not a highwayman. 

12 hours ago, kaiju said:

It's not like Highwaymen aren't renowned historical figures or inspired music videos or anything.  Heck, the last run of Doctor Who featured one, so they clearly have enough presence in the popular consciousness for Lego to deem it worth including one.

Including one, sure. But why make the Highwayman the special figure? It made sense with Mr. Gold, but take a Highwayman of all things and make it the rare minifig to search for or whatever? To me, it feels like something just doesn't add up. But I guess we'll see in time.

27 minutes ago, Brick Dangerous said:

Including one, sure. But why make the Highwayman the special figure? It made sense with Mr. Gold, but take a Highwayman of all things and make it the rare minifig to search for or whatever? To me, it feels like something just doesn't add up. But I guess we'll see in time.

That I basically put down to someone going "we want to tease one of these minifigs instead of revealing it to generate excitiement" and someone else going "Well, this Highwayman is visually interesting and a subject we haven't really touched on before" and making the choice based on that.  Most of this series is are similar in either theme or design to previous minifigures and the Highwayman has a more recognisable outline as a minifig than the rocket outfit,

I hate hate hate exclusives like this if the Highwayman is a Mr. Gold. That may encourage sales by either the obsessed with cash to burn or resellers but this sort've practice is awful for your normal buyer. 

I really think this silhouette thing means nothing

The Highwayman won't be a Mr. Gold 2.0 because he isn't highlighted in the box art.

------

Also, I read this series won't be available in Belgium and Holland

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

:distressed: WAIT WHAT? ... Would you please be so kind to provide the source of this? 

2 hours ago, Loki221978 said:

is it for sure a highway-individual?  if not how do we know it isnt a historical figure that wore a tricorner hat?

The funny thing is that even calling him a highway-individual might be incorrect, because if the theory about different versions/designs is correct, there are many different highwaypeo... I mean, highwayorganisms, in the series.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I did a search and could not find a thread for the following:

Can a nice person please direct me to a template/list of bricks for a bandstand type display for minifigures? I'm looking to build one that has different levels in witch to display the various waves of mi ifigures. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I dearly hope not! I need Mr. Cornman and a lot of retrospace people :-(

Mr. Gold got a lot of bad publicity. I doubt they're going that route. It just seems like they're trying something new in the way they are promoting the series. Maybe since putting it on the pamphlet, they just decided to run with it and keep it a mystery.

Also, 2222nd post. :grin: