Kit Bricksto

Hogwarts Castle (Lego Architecture)

Hi everyone!

There's a contest going on over at the German forum Imperium der Steine challenging us to build our own Architecture style models.

There are three categories, the first two being Skylines and Actual Buildings but for the third one we are to build fictional skylines or buildings!

As I am a big Harry Potter fan Hogwarts was the first thing I could think of.

29592022271_3ec2601dc6_b.jpg

Lego Architecture: Hogwarts Castle by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

29644767116_6beb4349ab_b.jpg

29055673103_dab938cb8f_b.jpg

I am really happy with how it turned out but I'd love to hear your opinions and I am of course open to criticism too!

Edited by Kit Bricksto

This is absolutely beautiful. After I did the WB tour in Watford and walked round the Hogwarts model there I really wanted to have something Lego based that could get across the whole of the Hogwarts site.

I don't have the time or space to create something system scale that could do justice to the sprawling mix of buildings and towers but you've managed to do it in a 22x22 stud base.

I love it. And now I want to build one of my own! Fantastic!

This is absolutely beautiful. After I did the WB tour in Watford and walked round the Hogwarts model there I really wanted to have something Lego based that could get across the whole of the Hogwarts site.

I don't have the time or space to create something system scale that could do justice to the sprawling mix of buildings and towers but you've managed to do it in a 22x22 stud base.

I love it. And now I want to build one of my own! Fantastic!

Thank you very much! I still haven't seen the Harry Potter exhibition but that's definitely on my to-do-list!

There are a few slightly larger and even more detailed Hogwarts models out there that I really like but I didn't think a larger scale would fit with the Architecture style very well.

If you want to please feel free to take inspiration from my model wherever you like! :)

That is amazing. It melds perfectly with the Architecture-type builds, but still retains all of Hogwarts' character. This would be a Day 1 buy for me.

Glad to see Harry Potter has not left the souls of Lego builders.

Thanks guys! Really glad you fellas like it so much. :)

Perfect! I love how you used the Window Piece for the Courtyard.

It just looked like too much of a perfect fit to not use it. ;)

Uhm, let me just answer you here instead of over at IDS. It's much easier this way ;)

Well I'm used to building with as little studs as possible even in minifig scale and in microscale they stand out even more. Yea TLG always somehow maneges it to make it look ok. You mentinoed Falling Water - there's a strict line between studded terrain and tiled water / building. So no slopes are used in rockwork which is what maybe bothers me the most on your model. I really can't tell weather using the plates instaed of slopes or tiling the whole terrain would look better or which version ... It's just how I see things. The studs on the big tower are allright, since it'd be harder to build it differently and it gives the plain walls some texture.

But as said, the model is great nevertheless! Btw very nice usage of the window piece.

@MstrOfPppts I see what you mean and I guess I would change the area between the main castle and the owlery if I'd build this again (and maybe I will modify it) but I used every last one of my available grey slopes so I didn't really have any other option here. 

Thanks everyone for your kind words, they are very much appreciated! :) 

Wow! I don't know how I missed this...

This is great. You really captured the feel & look of the castle brilliantly. I too am not a buyer of this theme, but I wouldnt hesitate on this.