Sign in to follow this  
Lego Otaku

Alternative to hinges in LDD?

I am trying to make something and I needed something that is somewhat small, like these:

QEtthHm.png

The click hings requires too much pressure to change position. The freestyle hinge is generally loose and would be floppy. Is there something in the range of 1x5 bricks or 2x5 even that isn't overly tight like click hinge and not floppy loose?

Trying to make a minifig scale plane with wings that folds in and out depending on flight modes.

You could use the plate version of the freestyle hinge. And use it on different heights in your structure. It is more stiff than de brick version. And you can use as much as you want depending the available height...

Alternatively, the mixels ball joints might be useful as long as the rest of your design helps constrain the sideways movement.

You could use the plate version of the freestyle hinge. And use it on different heights in your structure. It is more stiff than de brick version. And you can use as much as you want depending the available height...

That could work. 1x4 hinge plate is rather common and a couple stacked could add enough friction to keep the wings from flopping around.

What about the classic clip+stick bricks?

You mean the 1x1 brick with vertical bar? 1x1 has weaker clutch than 2x1 and may simply fall off unless I pile on a few bricks to hold that one in place. I'd have to look into this if other option doesn't work.

Alternatively, the mixels ball joints might be useful as long as the rest of your design helps constrain the sideways movement.

That's another one. Ball joint plates, 2 stacked with a plain 1x2 plate in between would force only horizontal movement. Is there a current mixel out that has lots of ball hinges I can get to experiment?

Edit:

E7T4Ogp.png?1

LDD shows it can move 40' to -40'. A bit less than half of the regular 1x4 hinge plate or brick (0 to 180') but may be fine.

Edited by Lego Otaku