Sign in to follow this  
Sir Gareth

Which Type of Thread Would YOU Prefer for the Licensed Forum?

Which Type of Thread Would YOU Prefer for the Licensed Forum?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Type of Thread Would YOU Prefer for the Licensed Forum?

• "Theme" 20## Official Information & Discussion
    • "Theme" 20## (Official Information,) Rumors & Discussion
    • "Theme" (20## Rumors,) Future Set Speculation & Discussion
  2. 2. Should "Theme" 20## Rumors be Seperated from Official Information?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should "Theme" 20## Rumors be Merged with Future Set Speculation?

• Yes
    • No

Which type of thread would you prefer for the Licensed Forum? Please, answer by voting in the poll above, and commenting your opinion below.

Edited by Sir Gareth

Both the first and last would be downgrades, in my opinion.

A thread for official information would work, either combined or in tandem with a rumor thread, but if the thread can only be used after a significant amount of official information is actually released (which is usually only a month or two before the set is actually released), it would only be relevant or usable for a few months of the year, preceding each wave of releases.

A thread for discussion that isn't specific to a year would be enormous after a single year, never mind the succeeding ones.

With those 2 cents shared, I can't suggest a better alternative to what we already have, a thread where we can discuss the latest rumors and tidbits, however credible, with an easily located post that is updated with official information as we get it.

If the issue is that people can be confused by what is rumor and what is official, and that the current system doesn't handle that clearly enough, then the only alternative is a rumor thread and an official thread working in tandem.

With a rumor thread that grows until tidbits of official information are released, and then discussion of those particular things is moved to the "fact" thread.

One thread that people can pick apart rumors and be excited for it, and another thread that other people can check now and then for official updates and then discuss them there.

Cheers.

It's as if you stole the words right out of my mouth! I completely agree with everything you voiced.

Edited by Sir Gareth

Personally, I think there should be a new forum created for the sole purpose of discussing rumors. Each theme would have its own rumor thread, while the main threads in their respective forums would have only official information.

People who follow leaks often clash with skeptics who don't like rumors cluttering up threads. If there are two separate threads, this problem will disappear. If a rumor has been confirmed discussion can continue in the official thread and everyone will be happy.

Sure, discussion of rumors usually only occurs during half of the year, but the thread for each theme will be a catch-all for every year so there will be no clutter and it will be easy to follow.

This poll might be more useful if there were an option for separate threads.

I want the discussion threads to be like this. News, discussion of the news, and rumors - so the second choice. But not BASELESS rumors. The rumors have to be from a reliable source. We just can't keep having new users make an account and post fake rumors; or people who CONSTANTLY provide false information. :wacko:

I'm tired of seeing these thread polluted with users complaining about the mods for reprimanding them because all of that is off topic, it bumps up the topic, gets me excited for new news, and it's just a user complaining that a moderator is doing their job. And then a bunch of other users jump in responding to that sentiment. None of this is about set news or rumors. :hmpf_bad:

Also, I'm tired of people posting their wishlists or talking about what may come from a movie. Sure, if there's a new trailer or something, I understand it there. But it gets bad when people just start rambling off topic about the quality of the movie or the trailer or their expectations of the film before it even comes out. There's all these threads for that in the Culture and Multimedia section. :look:

I'm legitimately losing my patience with these licensed theme threads. Majority of the time it's off topic content that keeps pushing these threads up that I RARELY even check these threads anymore. And, it really only happens with the licensed theme ones. The City ones are almost always on topic, and even the action ones (which sometimes have episode discussion in them) are much more on target than the Super Heroes or Star Wars ones. :sceptic:

And another type of off topic discussion I always see in these threads - "Is there any news?" "When can we expect news?" "Event in three days... can't wait for [news!]" This furthers the discussion in NO way. The only time I can understand it is if the person has been off the board for a few months and says so, or if they're new... but I usually see the same users saying these phrases over and over again. Does not belong in these news/discussion/rumor threads.

just2cents.

Edited by just2good

Or maybe that's what the parenthesis mean? *huh* I don't know...

I want the discussion threads to be like this. News, discussion of the news, and rumors - so the second choice. But not BASELESS rumors. The rumors have to be from a reliable source. We just can't keep having new users make an account and post fake rumors; or people who CONSTANTLY provide false information. :wacko:

Unfortunately, that's not a setting of the board software...

just2cents.

Clever. :laugh:

Unfortunately, that's not a setting of the board software...

I know, that's true. But I know moderators have banned members before for providing false info. That one guy... someting-chir? Not Aanchir of Lynchir, we love 'em. :laugh:

Neckchir, was that it? But even then, I understand it's hard to crack down on so maybe that's just a fantasy of mine.

Clever. :laugh:

:grin:

Or maybe that's what the parenthesis mean? *huh* I don't know...

My apologies, I should have clarified up front :blush:

Option 1 is for a "Theme" 20## Official Information thread, separate from, or in replacement of, the current Rumors & Discussion one.

Option 2 is for a combined "Theme" 20## Official Information/Rumors & Discussion thread, as it is now.

Option 3 is for a combined "Theme" 20## Rumors/Future Set Speculation & Discussion thread, merging the current two.

Option 4 was... actually almost, if not, the same as Option 3. I removed it to eliminate redundancy.

So, parenthesis means combined, no parenthesis means separated.

Edited by Sir Gareth

I don't know if this is an option but could there be a read-only thread with only official information but not for discussion? That way the official information thread only bumps when legitimate news occurs so everyone can look at it. No one gets there hopes up. And only mods or confirmed reliable sources could post. Then all discussion would take place in the rumors and discussion thread for the appropriate year.

I don't know if this is an option but could there be a read-only thread with only official information but not for discussion? That way the official information thread only bumps when legitimate news occurs so everyone can look at it. No one gets there hopes up. And only mods or confirmed reliable sources could post. Then all discussion would take place in the rumors and discussion thread for the appropriate year.

I love you. At least your idea here. The point of the news threads is to keep the first post updated with set news so people who are sick of combing through off–topic discussion can still see the updated news in the first post. But, we get really busy and sometimes don't keep up.

I want a thread where I can (cough) find future information, where I can discuss them with others, get official information, discuss them with other, and have all the information in the first post. :classic: :classic:

The rumors have to be from a reliable source. We just can't keep having new users make an account and post fake rumors; or people who CONSTANTLY provide false information. :wacko:

I agree !!

I like this idea as well.. but wouldn't that be like double the threads?

Edited by CM4Sci

I love you. At least your idea here. The point of the news threads is to keep the first post updated with set news so people who are sick of combing through off–topic discussion can still see the updated news in the first post. But, we get really busy and sometimes don't keep up.

If it was a separate read-only thread no one would have to sort through anything because it would only contain official Lego information, pictures, and descriptions. You would get everything you need to know in one spot with no pointless filler. And all discussion could take place on the rumors\discussion thread for those like myself who don't mind reading through members' comments.

Like I said, I don't even know if it's possible. This is the only forum I read and I do not know a lot about forums in general. It just seems like the simplest solution to accommodate people who want to voice their thoughts and people who just want to know the facts.

(On a side note I really enjoy Eurobricks and I think overall the members are great and the mods do a good job.)

The only real issue for me is how much Discussion is allowed. Can we give opinions of a set once details or images are revealed? If so, can we compare and contrast with other sets? Sometimes, it can be difficult to tell where the line is between on and off topic.

Also, all of the price discussions grind my gears. I don't want to read page upon page of speculation of prices for each set in each market, then read many more pages of complaining about pricing after it has been revealed. That gets old.

So does posting about whether or not we should be allowed to post leaked images. We can't. Yes, it kinda sucks, but that's the way it is for many reasons, so deal with it rather than clogging up a thread asking about it, or complaining about it for several pages.

And when a Moderator posts to reprimand for leaks or something, or asks us to get back on topic, reactionary discussion about that Moderator action should not happen for an additional page in that thread. Have some respect for the team here. Such discussion should be in a PM, or in this forum. Maybe a dedicated forum where people can question Moderator actions would be good, but I see that being a huge pile of complaints and potentially making their job more difficult.

If it was a separate read-only thread no one would have to sort through anything because it would only contain official Lego information, pictures, and descriptions. You would get everything you need to know in one spot with no pointless filler. And all discussion could take place on the rumors\discussion thread for those like myself who don't mind reading through members' comments.

Like I said, I don't even know if it's possible. This is the only forum I read and I do not know a lot about forums in general. It just seems like the simplest solution to accommodate people who want to voice their thoughts and people who just want to know the facts.

It is possible. Right now, as I said, we intend the first post of the rumor or news (or combined) thread to be such a post. Check the first post of the Marvel news thread, it should have all the up to date news pics in it. All we would have to do to make a read–only topic would be to take the first post, make it its own topic and lock it, pin it and leave a link to the discussion thread. That is a possibility.

I want a thread where I can post and find leaks

:wall: :wall: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

The only real issue for me is how much Discussion is allowed. Can we give opinions of a set once details or images are revealed? If so, can we compare and contrast with other sets? Sometimes, it can be difficult to tell where the line is between on and off topic.

Also, all of the price discussions grind my gears. I don't want to read page upon page of speculation of prices for each set in each market, then read many more pages of complaining about pricing after it has been revealed. That gets old.

So does posting about whether or not we should be allowed to post leaked images. We can't. Yes, it kinda sucks, but that's the way it is for many reasons, so deal with it rather than clogging up a thread asking about it, or complaining about it for several pages.

And when a Moderator posts to reprimand for leaks or something, or asks us to get back on topic, reactionary discussion about that Moderator action should not happen for an additional page in that thread. Have some respect for the team here. Such discussion should be in a PM, or in this forum. Maybe a dedicated forum where people can question Moderator actions would be good, but I see that being a huge pile of complaints and potentially making their job more difficult.

I am on the same wavelength as you and we get a lot of reports and complaints from members along the same lines which is what I try to explain to people whenever they complain about a moderator trying to keep the discussion on–topic. There's a thread in this forum called "Some Rude Moderators" where people can bitch about us. :thumbup:

I was kind of wondering if putting all the stuff in a sub-fourm is a possibility. Because from the looks of it now if you want to check out any MOC's one would have to scroll down a page or more. (And I know you guys {the staff} want the MOC's to be a higher priority compare to other things.)

The rumors have to be from a reliable source. We just can't keep having new users make an account and post fake rumors; or people who CONSTANTLY provide false information. :wacko:

That wouldn't work at all. If that layout was adopted then there would be no new reliable sources, simply because anyone posting a leak for the first time would be considered a fake. Once everyone here who is considered a reliable source leaves, we would have no one providing info. Granted, that's several years down the line, but still.

That wouldn't work at all. If that layout was adopted then there would be no new reliable sources, simply because anyone posting a leak for the first time would be considered a fake. Once everyone here who is considered a reliable source leaves, we would have no one providing info. Granted, that's several years down the line, but still.

I think as long as they prove they've got a legitimate source (like that Whisperer guy) it'll be ok.

Who's that?

I think his name was The Whisperer? He said some things about upcoming sets that turned out to be true.. he made an account I think the same day.

Also, I'm tired of people posting their wishlists or talking about what may come from a movie. Sure, if there's a new trailer or something, I understand it there. But it gets bad when people just start rambling off topic

And another type of off topic discussion I always see in these threads - "Is there any news?" "When can we expect news?" "Event in three days... can't wait for [news!]" This furthers the discussion in NO way. The only time I can understand it is if the person has been off the board for a few months and says so, or if they're new... but I usually see the same users saying these phrases over and over again. Does not belong in these news/discussion/rumor threads.

just2cents.

Agree with this, I see it too many times. They do it to bring up a discussion, but it honestly doesn't make sense. The members who do it, are active members most of the time. There's no need for that.

I think his name was The Whisperer? He said some things about upcoming sets that turned out to be true.. he made an account I think the same day.

Ah, just found him. I see.

If anything could slow down the posts in a licensed discussion thread I will feel happy. I rarely use them because there are dozens of posts a day. If I don't read them everyday sometimes 10 or more new pages of information can accrue. I get in there and have to sift through lots of stuff before I even get to what I want. Then when I ask a question I soon feel like a fool, with the realization the question had been asked and answered by someone else twenty pages back in the discussion... If read-only threads, or dividing official set discussion from rumor discussion helps alleviate this I'll be happy.

Edited by xboxtravis7992