Hold0511

MOC UCS Y-Wing (10134) Clone Wars Era - WIP

Hi all,

Sharing my WIP MOC of the Clone Wars era Y-Wing UCS scale.

I did a colour swap from yellow to red on the 8037 kit and then thought why not adapt the UCS Y-Wing to the same original Clone Wars style....this is the first pass at that MOC.

Update - I've amended the engines (see later post and pics below) and cleaned up the colours and engine fins a tad.

ucsy-wing.jpg

A few more phone pics at http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=565968 - once I'm fully happy with it I'll do some better ones.

I still need to sort out the engine fin/ribs as they are unattached at the front and hence pull outward, undercarriage needs doing and some general tidying up. I think the biggest issue will be engine droop, so need to have a think about that, plus figuring out a way of changing out the grey 18897's.

Anyway any feedback/improvements/ideas welcome...

Edited by Hold0511
Update = I've a LDD version on the go which I'll post once I've put it on brickshelf as I can't seem to load it here for some reason.

Nice.

My only suggestion is to use the Dark Red R4-P17 head that came with 10215, Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter. I really wish Lego would have given use R2 in this size with 10240.

Then again, that maybe too much red red?!

Jamie

Thanks all - going to see if using the minifig neck bracket might solve the engine fin issue.

Jamie - good shout - never thought about using that, as you say may be too much red but worth a look - I'll have to dig out my 10215 from the loft to give it a bash.

Maybe use some yellow/ gray tiles to line the R2 units area and white for this body and legs will offset the dark red?

Jamie

Very nice. I always loved the Y-Wing, even when they were only cannon fodder in ANH, and I think the CW-rendition of the Y-Wing is the best.

Thanks folks - I'm waiting for the parts to arrive as I'm going to try an alternate engine build - I'll do one of the engines in the revised style see how it looks. Pics next week hopefully (Lego B&P and a bricklink order).

Excellent work this looks spot on! I quite like the maroon color especially when compared to the yellow.

Tweaking still with engines, landing gear next....but its heavier than the stock 10134 so pondering that one...

clone10134ucsmod.jpg

clone10134ucschaps2.jpg

clone10134ucschaps.jpg

Thanks - I need to re-do the pics as its the same size as the stock 10134 but the poor photo angle makes it look a smaller model...

I've got a BL order in to try your refreshed 10134 engine front on the front of this one - I can swap out one engine and see how it looks, I'm hoping it will a) look better, b) make a nicer transition as the hinged dome in is too blocky now that the engines are basically all cylinders and c) enable me to amend the front of the engine fines to do the dome curve section which I could not get to work right.

Updated rear engine pic below:

img_4939.jpg

Need to shape the wedges now the engine is attached and build the second one.

img_4937.jpg

engine.jpg

Edited by Hold0511

Due to engine droop, I tried swapping out the cylinder approach for a pure brick solution kindly based on IcarusBuilds MOC as he kindly let me have the LDD for his engine build.  I did not have enough wedge plates to get the blending right but at least the engines are sure and steady.

img_0109s.jpg

img_0108s.jpg

img_0107s.jpg

Edited by Hold0511