Sign in to follow this  
CrispyBassist

[MOCs] New Haven Boxcab Electric Locomotives

After some conversation in another thread I realized I haven't posted any of my more recent builds on here, including one of my boxcab electric locomotives. I figured I would put some details about both of my New Haven electric locomotives, since both fit this category. Many of you may have seen these on Flickr or at shows but I presume that many of you haven't seen them yet, though I could be wrong.

First up is the newest one, my New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NYNH&H) EF-1:

23966584432_153a0994ef_c.jpg

The EF-1 class was built in 1912 by Baldwin-Westinghouse and remained in service until 1957 (outlasting their "successors," the EF-2's by 9 years). The were frequently used on the New York Connecting Railroad (a joint venture to connect the New Haven and Pennsylvania Railroads) hauling freight from New England to the Long Island Rail Road's transfer bridges in Brooklyn, NY. Due to the grades on this route they were typically operated in triple, and I've even seen a photo of four of them hauling a long freight over the Hell Gate Bridge.

The model is equipped with two PF train motors which power the four large drivers, and Brickstuff lights in the main headlight and four front marker lights. Contrary to everything I've read on here, I've had no problems using large drivers on a PF train motor (well, none yet). My plan is to build freight cars until this can no longer haul any more, then build a second and repeat until I have three of them.

My second (well, first) boxcab electric is my NYNH&H EP-3:

14989020506_f0b82f6f15_c.jpg

The EP-3 class was built by General Electric in 1931, and featured both pantographs and third rail shoes so they could run into either Grand Central Terminal or Pennsylvania Station in New York. The EP-3s performed so well that the Pennsylvania railroad borrowed three of them for tests that resulted in the design of the world famous GG1.

As with my EF-1 this uses two PF train motors powering eight of the large drivers, and was able to keep considerable speed at Brickworld this past summer with five heavy passenger cars in tow: New Haven Meet at Brickworld Chicago

Also I'm working on a NYNH&H EP-2, which is still very much of a WIP:

28706842895_4238851424_c.jpg

Cheers!

Wow. These are amazing especially the EF-1. Great detailing there. A pity there is a wire sticking out at the front. I know it goes against all electronics conventions but couldn't you make the red wire black? Apart from that it is a masterpiece! :wub:

I am particularly fond of your New Haven boxcab. I had no idea they interchanged at both Grand Central and Penn Station! I got to ride a New Jersey Transit train out of Penn Station last year while on vacation.

Wow. These are amazing especially the EF-1. Great detailing there. A pity there is a wire sticking out at the front. I know it goes against all electronics conventions but couldn't you make the red wire black? Apart from that it is a masterpiece! :wub:

Thanks! The details on the roof and trucks offset the simple cab design when building these. The wires are sold like that by Brickstuff, though I have been thinking of coloring it black or, purists look away, drilling a hole in the hat that I use for the body of the light to hide the wire. That's something I'd have to fix for all three of these actually.

I am particularly fond of your New Haven boxcab. I had no idea they interchanged at both Grand Central and Penn Station! I got to ride a New Jersey Transit train out of Penn Station last year while on vacation.

Nice! I grew up on the New Haven line of Metro-North and thus visited Grand Central every time I went into the city. Still a shame about the original Penn Station, even if its demolition did get GCT saved...

Yes I really hope Penn Station gets the refurb it needs so badly. Such an ugly piece of 1960's/1970's cost cutting minamalism built so an ugly stadium could replace the original architectural wonder that was Penn Station. Besides my father can't stop talking about how awful the restroom was in that station to, yuck!

But Grand Central Terminal, that is an entirely different story. Such a beautiful preservation job! Wonderful eateries and stores. Gorgeous architecture. Plus the fact the street outside us where the climactic battle from The Avengers took place to is a sweet bonus ;)

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Nice! Were the first two the ones you had at NMRA? It's nick btw...

Oh, hey man! Yeah, those were at NMRA. The third is the next one I'm working on. Those bricks you sent go in the low voids on the sides of the body (that pic is a few weeks old).

I'd suggest for hiding the wires to cut a slit down the length of a short piece of hard tubing, then pass the wires into the inside via the slit.

I agree the EF-1 looks totally cool! It's a real masterpiece! :wub:

If the company Lego saw such beautiful train, then it would have to release curves of large radius turn.

Powerful, almost real locomotives, excellent work, beautiful colors.

Thanks all for the positive feedback!

Loved watching this fly through the corners at NMRA. Will it do standard Lego radius curves?

Surprisingly yes, all three will run on standard curves, though with huge overhangs. The passenger cars don't like standard curves as much though!

Matt - I can't overstate how much your detailed, and may I add prototypical, lighting adds to these models. When you get a chance please consider posting a couple night shots as these were really impressive while running at the world of lights at Brickworld.

Update to the WIP EP-2:

29389218184_d30ca4550d_z.jpg

Most of the body is done, save for a few 1x1 tiles and plates that I forgot to order... I need to make a few other orders to finish up the trucks (no, they're not detailed enough for my taste yet), and the roof, plus finish off a couple windows on the body. She runs real happily with the two train motors, just like my other two boxcabs. The articulation of the 1-C-1+1-C-1 bogies allows it to run on standard Lego curves as well.

More progress to come!

I've finished my EP-2:

31020676131_7b0bfc32ec_z.jpg

As with the other two, this model has two PF train motors powering the large drivers on the outer four axles. The 1-C-1 trucks are articulated in two points to accommodate the motors. It does negotiate all standard LEGO curves and switches happily, as shown in the following video which features all three of my boxcabs: Video: Elephant Style (linked, because I still can't remember how to insert these things...)

The lights are by Brickstuff. 

30328026903_9ffc93a8d6_z.jpg

It looks pretty sweet with the whole consist too :wink:

31020952461_50e26a3711_z.jpg

These photos and more can be found on my Flickr as well. Comments and criticisms welcome!

Cheers.

Wow - awesome how you managed to make these go so smoothly through standard corners (and zig-zags), given their size. Nice work!