MassEditor

Nocturnus Minichallenge I: Foreign Aid

Ok everyone, it's time to get building in Nocturnus! And for the chance to win some sweet PRIZES!!!

Just so everyone knows, these are not part of the next chapter of Guilds of Historica, but just some fun minichallenges to get new and old builders back into the Darklands!

Minichallenge 1: Foreign Aid

The need for experienced soldiers in the ongoing Nocturnus Civil War is prompting both sides to seek help from outside the Darklands. Whatever their motivation - be it gold, glory or sympathy for one or the other sides - fighters from across Historica are pouring into Nocturnus. However, one does not simply walk into the Darklands. Those entering Nocturnus must face the challenges of the Kelra Labyrinth or bypass this obstacle by scaling the Rakath Mountains or entering from the jagged, dangerous coastline.

Minichallenge requirements: You should show foreign forces entering Nocturnus for either the Black Spire or Nocturnian Resistance. However, they must be depicted passing through the Kelra Labyrinth, traversing the Rakath Mountains or entering Nocturnus from the sea. You can show off one fighter or as many as you can fit within the size limit. Show off your best Avalonian, Mitgardian and Kaliphlin warriors as they intercede on behalf of the Nocturnus Struggle!

Size limit: 32x32 with limited overhang

Deadline for entries: 11:59 p.m. anywhere in the world on October 1st

Prizes will be awarded to the top builder for the Black Spire and the Nocturnian Resistance. This challenge is open to all GoH members, not just Nocturnus. The side you pick to build for has no bearing on future challenges/contests so feel free to pick whichever side you like! If you're sigfig is a member of the Nocturnian Resistance but you want to play devil's advocate and build for Raavage, then do so!

Judging will be based on the MOC's story, details, composition and how well it follows the requirements. You must post your entry in a separate thread and provide the link on this thread. Please prefix your entry thread with the title "Nocturnus Minichallenge I:" and then enter the name of your entry. Also, please note at the top of the thread if you are building for the Resistance or the Black Spire.

Feel free to discuss the minichallenge in this thread!

Here's some recent Nocturnus history for those who need it (this is from the first page of the Nocturnus Discussion thread, if you want to read more):

Following the defeat of the Black Mage at Cedrica, the guild of Nocturnus was invaded by the Black Spire, a group consisting of Hand of Corruption soldiers, Varlyrian shock troopers and Drow rebels. Nocturnus is now in chaos. The Black Spire quickly conquered nearly all of Nocturnus before Lord Sslither's forces rallied from Cedrica and a band of brave Historicans from the other three guilds made a brave stand at Abyssian castle, Nocturnus's capital. During the battle at Abyssian, disgraced Avalonian General, Trian Buress was killed by Black Spire forces.

The push back from the Nocturnians weaken the Black Spire's grip, but did not break it. Today, the Black Spire has conquered over half of Nocturnus and constructed a fortress, the Obsidian Spike, to serve as a command center for their forces. The Spire now controls all of the eastern and southern portions of Nocturnus while those still loyal to Sslither hold the northern and most of the western lands.

And, in case you'd like an example of the Kelra Labyrinth, here's one by the Nocturnian Master himself, IScreamClone:

6465164261_debd0d9784_b.jpg

Alright everyone, the moment you've been waiting for: the winners of this challenge!

Jacob Nion is the winner in the Black Spire category!

Henjin_Quilones is the winner in the Nocturnian Resistance category!

Congrats to these two, and a big thanks to all who have participated! Nocturnus has never looked so awesome!

Sounds like a good time! I'll see what I can do.

As a side-note, what are the banner colors of each side of the civil war?

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

That's the spirit!

Black Spire colors are black and white. Resistance colors are gold and red.

brilliant! I don't think I'll be able to participate, but this is gonna be perfect for me to see how challenges work and everything! ^^

So I guess if most people still want to support the redistance (which is a good thing) building for the spire increases the chances to win (which is an excellent thing).

Excellent minichallenge, MassEditor, I'll see if I can't get something in before the deadline!

By the way, you don't seem to currently have a rule by which all entries would need to be posted in this thread (which would probably simplify the judging process - unless you meant to leave it out on purpose), and also - when you said the deadline was 11:59 PM on October 1st, did you mean in the entrant's timezone? Not that I already plan on entering at the very last minute anyways ( :grin::laugh:), but it would be good to specify about that ahead of time (both of those are also the same in the second minichallenge).

So I guess if most people still want to support the resistance (which is a good thing) building for the spire increases the chances to win (which is an excellent thing).

I was actually thinking exactly the same thing when I read it :laugh:

Thanks for the correction Garm! I had mentioned posting your entries here, but perhaps had it worded not so well. Clarified! Also, as long as it's 11:59 somewhere on the planet, you can post your entry. I believe that is tradition?

Awesome challenge, I hope I can find time this month.. im 36 hours in college and 20 at work during a week...

So, the build has to fit within the borders of a 32x32 quadrant, no alternative footprints that take up the same space (like 16x64), correct?

Anyway, I hope I can make an entry. :classic:

Only one scene can be uploaded? Or can be two or three? Like on the same terrain, the army advancing, in three pictures/phases?

So, the build has to fit within the borders of a 32x32 quadrant, no alternative footprints that take up the same space (like 16x64), correct?

As long as your entry does not exceed 1,024 studs, you are fine. So yes, 16x64 is totally acceptable.

Only one scene can be uploaded? Or can be two or three? Like on the same terrain, the army advancing, in three pictures/phases?

Post as many scenes as you can cram into the size limit. You are limited to one build (no more than 1,024 studs) but you can post as many pictures as you like to illustrate whatever story you are creating.

Hey,

I'm new to Nocturnus and I feel this is a great chance to put my building skills to the test.

I'm getting some more pieces soon, so I'm definitely in!

Glad to hear that, you have a great taste in guilds!

Now, these challenges are only open to members of GoH. If you haven't already, make sure to officially join Nocturnus by introducing your sigfig(s) in the Nocturnus discussion thread ASAP! :classic:

Sorry folks, real life distractions have kept me from what's really important - these minichallenges!

Of course, the deadline is up, so thank you to all who participated! We'll be announcing the winners very soon!

And if you haven't done it already, make sure you post a link to your entry in this thread!

Edited by MassEditor

Alright, here are the entries for Minichallenge I: Foreign Aid. If you're build is not included here, it's because you didn't follow the instructions and link it here! Let me know if it's not, and I'll get it added before we finish our judging.

Entires for the Nocturnian Resistance:

Henjin_Quilones - Crossing the Sayn Gwinos River

29691600351_70a131afbc_z.jpg

kahir88 - Howling in the Mountains

29753299691_dfa6611d90_n.jpg

narbilu - Nar Bilu and the Giants of Rock

29705283280_24131c2372_c.jpg

Blufiji - Foreign Aid

28975234373_5b90507d1b_b.jpg

Entires for the Black Spire:

Arcturus24 - The Lion's Pride

29378035004_f795587d91_z.jpg