Sign in to follow this  
RememberTheLittleGuy

Do you keep your Lego Boxes?

Do you keep your LEGO boxes when you got a new set?

For example, you buy a new STAR WARS Lego set and threw away the box, because it was taking up a lot of space. When you're about 50-60 years old (or something) you got really bored with Lego *Gasp* and decided to sell all of your sets. You sold a Lego set but a customer tells you you'll make more money if you had the LEGO box still with it too. That's one possible reason why people keep there boxes.

Anyway, I, so far, kept all of my Lego box sets except 2. It's taking up my whole storage room :-/ .

Thanks to AgentRick57 for the idea: Do you also keep your instructions? I do, incase I wanted to rebuild something.

Edited by RememberTheLittleGuy

I either trim out the front/back picture of the box, keep the whole box, or throw out the entire thing depending on how "nice" the advertising is. Yes, people say the value is higher with the box, but my personal investment is in the playtime with my LEGO, I never ever in hell want to sell my LEGOs to anyone *wub* sowry too much in love *wub*

i try, but when buying secound hand, i try not to pay an extra $20 just to have a box.a few months ago i decided.i mush keep the box to Every ucs set.still try to get others, but don't really mind ;-)

i keep boxes. if i have them. it's easy to store though. i like the new boxes because once you cut the tapes you can easily fold them flat and store them that way. for older boxes, if they don't have the tray inserts, i just cut off the glue and fold them flat. it's easy to re-glue them to form boxes again.

alternatively, i also put boxes inside of boxes, inside of boxes, eg EF boxes are kept in the sentai fortress box. :-P the $5 sets are kept inside of the $15 sets, which are in turn kept in the $50 sets and the $50 sets are kept in the sentai fortress set. :-P

I keep all my boxes

I follow the stack one box inside another method which is easy for new sets older sets with plastic trays are just stored in the loft.

I do not consider myself a "collector" as such, despite having virtually every set, aside from the new releases. I buy sets for the sets. The boxes go. I appreciate that this means value is drastically reduced, but the value is in my pleasure.

yes, that's why i was really pissed when the giftwrap around my new 8654 for christmas was taped directly in the front. now it's got rip makrs :(

You sold a Lego set but a customer tells you you'll make more money if you had the LEGO box still with it too.

He should also have tell you you'll make much more money if you had a sealed lego box in perfect condition ... :-D

And I'm not sure that the price it costs to store empty box for several years (the room it takes and the time you waste to deal with that) is worth the extra value you can get.

When buying second hand, that is when a MISB set is not available at a reasonable price, I do care about the used condition only.

My first interest in Lego sets is the playability, and for some set, some of the parts. I only keep the building instructions, and, depending on the design of the box, some parts of the box. I never keep boxes of set that I have already bought once (like Hoth Base, Castle line, Adventurers or HP Knight bus), I'd fill a whole storage room every year.

I rarely keep the boxes, which I use sometimes for storage, but I've started to keep the instructions from most of the sets I get. :-P

I put the instructions in the box, then put the box where all my other boxes go

Strangely enough, I have more room for boxes than models *wacko* :-D

P

I only keep certain boxes, like the UCS Millennium Falcon. All the rest is bye-bye >:-)!

I have enough trouble finding space for the actuall LEGO!

Recycle On

copmike

Only some. But I'll definetly keep the box from my Black Seas barracuda , Complete with trays.

I also have a pile of instructions. For sets bought from early 2006 - 2008.

And a 1998 or 1989 one or two.

Yes, always keep the boxes *y*

About the space it's a pain but I have a method of minimize that by putting smaler boxes inside bigger ones, it's a very chalenging game... my favourite Tetris :-D

im a collector, so of course ;-) also, when buying a set of the shelf, i always look for the best condition one... it probably looks pretty silly to an on-looker :-D

this reminds me of a similar thread where we discussed if you would pay more of a used set with a box (you might find it interesting)...

http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...wtopic=9363&hl=

- BM

I've been keeping the box since I was six years old. I remember my father forbidding me to throw away the boxes to my Dragon Masters sets I got for Christmas; since then, I have kept nearly all my boxes (except those that were badly damaged from shelf wear or shipping). I think that many sets look better when displayed next to their boxes, so I have a "wall" of SW boxes behind my SW sets. They make a fine background.

OF COURSE!!!

THERE'S NO COLLECTOR WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL BOXES!!

I mean, yeah, I don't have the boxes of all my sets, but I think that from the oficial number of sets that I own (Brickset.com informs me that I own 89 sets), I don't have 5 or 6 boxes. And there are about 80 which have the original bags.

So, yeah, I keep boxes :-D

So far, I keep them. One day, they will turn into a new lifeform and kill me, but for now they're nice to have.

Actually, 90% of my recent purchases are still in their boxes because I don't have anywhere to display them. :-(

I've kept all the boxes since coming out of my dark ages, but I threw away all of them before that. It almost brings a tear to my eye. :'-(

As a last ditch effort to save them, when they do get out of hand, I'll flatten all of the smaller ones and stack those in the large ones. I'll fight losing these ...

Yea, I just cut out the front box pic and the rest is recycle (which all of you who dont keep the box should be doing! ;-) )

all of my boxes of lego sets purchased as an adult reside in the loft.

All of the boxes from my youth went to the dustbin, sadly :(

Well I kept the most recent Star Wars boxes but that's about it. I have the instructions for every set I've ever had spilling out of an old brick bucket.

Oooooh, there's going to be a lot of screaming, biting and fighting now, because I don't.

*Everyone gasps*

I don't have any space for boxes which no longer are of use, and they are more handy for firing up a wood-burning stove than gathering dust.

What? Snow or no snow, winters are plenty cold here, and electricity is expensive. Especially so when the house was built in 1824 (eighteen-hundred-and-twenty-four) - insulation back then was crap, and it occasionally happens that I experience a sudden wave of heat streaming at me when I open the fridge.

[/rant]

I don't actually burn the boxes, they're useless for firing up a stove, but I that doesn't mean I keep them. A few of the larger boxes with opening fronts see renewed life as containers for bricks, and one of those I have now is currently a make-shift airport as well. The rest get thrown away because I lack space.