Sign in to follow this  
Isundir

Finally Arrived

Edelwald, Chapter 1... or something like that.

28663368843_4e184a5bb6_c.jpg

"Men, look there, we've finally arrived in Edelwald. Lorenzo, were we followed?"

"No Mysir, it appears not, although we can't be sure. They may have sent a familiar after us."

The ragged group of men approached Edelwald's borders, from the outpost a guard rushed to great them.

"Greetings Mysires, what's yer business here, don't mind me saying so but yer do not look like merchants, pilgrims or peasants?"

The guard gave the men a distrustful glance. The man who appeared in charge spoke up.

"My name is Aurelio Du'Benessia, you are familiar with this name are you not. I have come to visit my brother-in-law, Lord Sternvale. Here's my traveling papers, do make sure all's in order."

After hearing that the guards face turned pale, he quickly looked over the travelling papers.

"Milord forgive me, all appears in order, welcome to Edelwald."

28661561394_f4d70276a7_c.jpg

The 'Fallen', a former order of Kaliphlin Knights from an old linage of nobles, their house was brought to ruin and their crest all but faded from Historica.

However the most recent heir in the Du'Benessia line, Aurelio, turned the knights order into a relatively infamous and sucessful group of wandering sellswords.

On his travels he met, fell in love with and married, Ariadne Sternvale, sister to Reinhard Sternvale, Lord of Edelwald.

29284177605_95061ed1b8_c.jpg

The Stables

28661561894_d6250bf224_c.jpg

The main keep, these military outposts can be found all along Edelwald's borders.

28661561924_db06c86740_c.jpg

The interior, aside from the main watchtower the keep also contains a cell to hold unwanted visitors and sleeping quarters for the guards to rest at.

Originally I was going to build a large base with a road and a wooden wall all around the border outpost but I found myself lacking the parts to do this.

edit* I forgot to mention but the building style has a bit of Mitgardia in it, which was on purpose due to Edelwald lying next to Mitgardia, hence Edelwalds architecture is a bit of a mix of Avalonia and Mitgardia.

As far as the story goes, I'm not a native English speaker and writing stories is already hard in Dutch let alone in English, but I hope you'll enjoy the tales of my sigfig Reinhard Sternvale and his companions anyway. :classic:

Feedback on the MOC(s) is appreciated, I can't currently improve the picture quality though.

Edited by Isundir

Great tower, I love the fact IT swings open and features a full interior! :thumbup: good job!

Really neat build! I like how you have two bases, one for each building, and then used the Army man baseplates for the figs :thumbup: The stable is excellent, the roof works better there than on the house, I think due to the smaller overhang and thinner tan sections.

Great that you included an interior, especially via hinging walls :wub: The little jail cell is a nice touch :thumbup:

man you even have an interior! I think you should stick with big MOCs rather than going back to vignettes :wink:

Very nice! This works very well. As SK said, it is great that it is on several plates, as that allows you to make it seem larger than your part supply can actually support. The foliage around the keep is well done, even though I personally do not really like the flower stems being used as grass (others favor them, but my own preference trends against them).

When I first saw the build, I thought to myself that it looked rather Mitgardian with those roof gables, and lo and behold! it was deliberate. Well done! The stonework on the tower looks very nice, especially the sand green sections, and I like that you have some 1x2 tiles scattered in there too. I like the battlements at the top, in particular the little statues in the corners; it is an attractive little detail. And the interiors are great, too. The only thing I think could be a bit better is the terrain, as your land is rather flat, and there should be, at very least, a path going up to the door of the tower and coming away from the stables, either of brown dirt from where the grass has been worn away, or stone from a paved path (or a combo of the two). The land looks appropriately lush, however, and I really had to think hard to come up with something for improvement at all.

Great work, especially for a first posted MOC!

Great work!! The two buildings on two plates are a really Nice touch!

I also like the match between mitgardia and Avalonian arcitechture!

Very nice woodwork on the tower and the stables. The buildings fit very nicely to their surrounding landscape and I like a lot that the backside has hinges. That increases playability a lot :classic: :thumbup:

This is an amazing first build from you. I love (along woth everyone else it seems) the mix of avalonian and mitgardian. Great design on both buildings and I think thats all I have to say here.

Thanks everybody :classic:

I like the battlements at the top, in particular the little statues in the corners; it is an attractive little detail. And the interiors are great, too. The only thing I think could be a bit better is the terrain, as your land is rather flat, and there should be, at very least, a path going up to the door of the tower and coming away from the stables, either of brown dirt from where the grass has been worn away, or stone from a paved path (or a combo of the two).

Yeah I tried to think about how the construction would work if it was 'real', I thought to myself what if it starts to rain and the water can't escape but I didn't want to add a wooden roof or anything like that on the top of the tower, that's why I added the little statues, they're essentially like gargoyles so the water comes out of their mouths or what have you.

I agree, the green currently consists of 2 layers (hard to see because I covered it all up with grass) and then I was out of green :tongue: I tried to incorperate a road but couldn't find something I like with the parts I had available... I do feel that I should've added some stones or such at the tower entrance.

Edited by Isundir

Very nice first build here, Isundir, the tower and the stables are great, and the hinging back wall and interior are excellent additions - I particularly like the jail, torches, and that you included stairs leading up to the second and third stories! :thumbup: The one thing I would add here would be some kind of transition between the wood and stonework on the tower - maybe a layer with intervals of headlight bricks with brown rounds sticking out like beams (can't find an example right now, but I hope that explains it pretty well! :grin:)

Overall, excellent job, looking forward to more of Aurelio's adventures!

Very nice first build here, Isundir, the tower and the stables are great, and the hinging back wall and interior are excellent additions - I particularly like the jail, torches, and that you included stairs leading up to the second and third stories! :thumbup: The one thing I would add here would be some kind of transition between the wood and stonework on the tower - maybe a layer with intervals of headlight bricks with brown rounds sticking out like beams (can't find an example right now, but I hope that explains it pretty well! :grin:)

Overall, excellent job, looking forward to more of Aurelio's adventures!

Thanks :classic: Do you mean on the outside or inside? I agree the transition of the stone to wooden part isn't great.

And my sigfig is Reinhard Sternvale not Aurelio Du'Benessia but I guess that may be kind of confusing if you haven't seen my Task, eh I think it was 1, post. :wink:

Edited by Isundir

On the outside - kind of like this, but with the round bricks instead of studs and cheese slopes (after a long search I somehow didn't manage to find any example of precisely what I'm talking about, but I hope that's close enough! :grin:)

About your sig-fig, sorry! I almost certainly had read that, but I just forgot when I was writing that - looking forward to his adventures too then! :laugh:

On the outside - kind of like this, but with the round bricks instead of studs and cheese slopes (after a long search I somehow didn't manage to find any example of precisely what I'm talking about, but I hope that's close enough! :grin:)

About your sig-fig, sorry! I almost certainly had read that, but I just forgot when I was writing that - looking forward to his adventures too then! :laugh:

Ah, like this perhaps: Coxwell Cottage

The blending of sand green and light grey makes for a really good color combo, one that I'm totally going to need to try out! The little stable off to the side is really nice as well and gives this a playset feel, as does the opening wall! :thumbup:

Superb mixing of the sand green and bley, I like that you put a few 1x2 tiles in to break up the masonry bricks :thumbup: The tan roofs are great, and I'm always a fan of hinging walls and interiors :wub: