Using the Bucket wheel from the 42055 set, I have developed at Bucket wheel for a Trenching machine I am currently building.

It is directly driven by an M motor using an Efferman worm drive gearbox at approx 2.5 RPM using a 24T gear but could be increased to approx 7 RPM using an 8T gear.
The BW is designed such that the lower part of the support framing and gears do not extend out side the width of the buckets.

Next step is to construct the arm that will carry the bucket wheel and design a side discharging conveyor.
The conveyor will pass through the grey 5 x 7L frame and will be driven by an M motor & gearbox to discharge either side using a PF change over switch to reverse direction as required.

Side view of Trencher Bucket Wheel
28953751110_06a5350b54_z.jpgIMG_3924 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

End view of TBW
28618698374_754b4bb170_z.jpgIMG_3925 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Overhead view of TBW showing drive motor and gearbox
28618698124_a7e1f5e1f7_z.jpgIMG_3926 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Edited by Doug72

Looks interesting , but the images haven't embedded

Edited by LXF

Looks great, but the images haven't embedded

Thanks for the feedback - now sorted after I managed to create an account with Pinterest.

Edited by Doug72

Close up images showing how the TBW is supported and driven:

Support gears and drive to bucket wheel for top section - support arm yet to be built.
N.B wheel is upside down.
29134724612_763044c461.jpgIMG_3928 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

BW support gears for lower section that enters the trench:
29242762105_b5b1db43b6.jpgIMG_3927 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Edited by Doug72

This is what I am basing a trencher model on - probably a freelance version.
http://crosscountryi...013-Catalog.pdf

The last one shows an unusual trencher that runs on heavy duty tires instead of tracks and has a straight bucket arm rather than a circular bucket wheel.

Edited by Doug72

Awesome! But which one will you be basing it off of mostly. If its a C model I would go for tracks. It also looks better in my opinion. :wink:

Awesome! But which one will you be basing it off of mostly. If its a C model I would go for tracks. It also looks better in my opinion. :wink:

I will be making a tracked version and posting updates at each stage of construction.
I use the design & build as you go method - if it doesn't work try try something else until it does.

The bucket wheel & discharge conveyor are the most complex part of the build hence building it first, once satisfied will then build the rest of the MOC around it.

Once complete the 42055 B model it will release more parts for this MOC.

Edited by Doug72

An interesting machine. Although I can't imagine a practical application of such model. Since it's supposed to dig a narrow channel into the ground...? I know that it's quite similar with BWE actually, still that one can be put in action more easily I think :)

Looking good. Could the gearbox be accomplished with real LEGO parts? :classic:

Yes it's possible but not as compact.
Have devised a gearbox using all Lego parts with the motor relocated to represent the hydraulic motor on the real machine.
Will post an image tomorrow.
Doug

Edited by Doug72

Worm gear box images:-
Will be using the 2nd version shown.
The bucket wheel rotation is very smooth and without any jerking.
Next step is to devise the drive to the discharge conveyor using an M motor and PF switch.

First Lego built worm drive gear box: rejected as being too flimsy.
29185650291_f9b45e9fc7.jpgIMG_3929 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Second Lego built worm drive gear box: will used for MOC
29264350115_644c7f6103.jpgIMG_3930 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Selection of Worm drive gear boxes:
A/. Efferman 3D printed, compatible with studless technic, very compact and usable with 8T & 24T gears.

B/. Lego Gearbox for worm gear 32239 - for use with 24T gear only

C/. Lego 2 x half worm gearbox. for use with 24T & 40T gears.

B & C compatible with studded technic meaning thin spacers required when used with studless technic.
C is rather odd, bulky and can't see any use for the gear teeth at one end. Attachment points are not very good.
28641081894_0bab04f0b7.jpgIMG_3931 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

An interesting machine. Although I can't imagine a practical application of such model. Since it's supposed to dig a narrow channel into the ground...? I know that it's quite similar with BWE actually, still that one can be put in action more easily I think :)

I have a cunning plan to demostrate the MOC once completed and hopefully picking up small Lego parts supplied with the BWE set.

Edited by Doug72

Is this going to be built with only 42055 parts, or will you use parts from other sets? So far, this looks pretty interesting and I'd love to build it, but I don't have many Technic sets so I don't have a large stock of parts. Other than the BWE, of course.

Is this going to be built with only 42055 parts, or will you use parts from other sets? So far, this looks pretty interesting and I'd love to build it, but I don't have many Technic sets so I don't have a large stock of parts. Other than the BWE, of course.

Still building the 42055 B model and using parts that I know won't be used to start the BWT MOC.

Don't think the BWT MOC can be built using 42055 parts alone.

Will have at least five motors for operating :-

Bucket wheel rotation

Discharge conveyor

Raising and lowering BW cutter head.

Two motors for track drives possibly using a substractor system to allow for slow turns.

Its a long term project, bit by bit.

Doug

More progress.
Drive for discharge conveyor:
Reversing will done by PF switch to allow discharge either side.
29206309321_42cc967006.jpgIMG_3933 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Overhead view showing the layout of drive motors.
29206309041_447893057f.jpgIMG_3934 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Both M motors in position shown for testing only - later both will be moved further back on the support arm or onto the main chassis and connected via drive shafts and universal couplings.
Discharge conveyor runs a bit fast and will be slowed down later when motors are repositioned.

Support framing started but needs a lot more work - hopefully two Linear actuators will be able to raise and lower this unit, if not will try the new gear racks.

Must finish the 42055 B model in order to release parts for this MOC.

Edited by Doug72

Still building the 42055 B model and using parts that I know won't be used to start the BWT MOC.

Don't think the BWT MOC can be built using 42055 parts alone.

Will have at least five motors for operating :-

Bucket wheel rotation

Discharge conveyor

Raising and lowering BW cutter head.

Two motors for track drives possibly using a substractor system to allow for slow turns.

Its a long term project, bit by bit.

Doug

Crud. Ah well, still be cool to look at pictures, plus I'm sure there will be plenty of 42055 C-models developed.

Crud. Ah well, still be cool to look at pictures, plus I'm sure there will be plenty of 42055 C-models developed.

My MOC is quite ambitious with all functions powered by 5 PF motors.

A simpler version might be possible using 42055 parts alone if use the BWE gearbox to power the bucket wheel, discharge conveyor, raising & lowering the wheel unit with caterpillar tracks un-powered.

Edited by Doug72

My MOC is quite ambitious with all functions powered by 5 PF motors.

A simpler version might be possible using 42055 parts alone if use the BWE gearbox to power the bucket wheel, discharge conveyor, raising & lowering the wheel unit with caterpillar tracks un-powered.

That'd be interesting to try. It might take forever for me to figure it out, but it'd be interesting to try.

That'd be interesting to try. It might take forever for me to figure it out, but it'd be interesting to try.

Should be possible to use the existing BWE gearbox as built to run:-

Outputs:-

1/ BW rotating in cutting direction only.

2/ Dischage conveyor in either direction (on BWE rotates turret CW or ACW)

3/. Raise and lower Trencher wheel unit. (on BWE drives the tracks)

On my MOC build the three motors for the Bucket wheel unit will be controlled by 3 interlocked PF switches, mounted in the cabin.

The track drive will use one PF Receiver running two XL motors.

Edited by Doug72

Progress:-
Decided to use M motors for the bucket wheel & conveyor but re-postioned closer to the pivot point.
Bucket wheel and conveyor now completed, apart from the device that profiles the trench bottom.

A test set up was used to find out if two Linear Actuators would be strong enough to raise & lower this unit and was found to be OK.

Drive to the twin L.A,s is via a worm / 8T gearing using a PF-M motor which gives desired slow speed of movement.
Tried 24T but too slow.

Just have to play around with pivot locations to get right working and raised positions.
Will probably use a L motor for the LAs as has more mounting options to help strengthen the frame when attached to the tracked chassis.
Also needs more bracing to support & prevent the L.A frame ( 3 x 5L x 11L frames) from flexing.

Bucket wheel in lowered working position:
29048098480_7cfe1f9bac.jpgIMG_3935 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Bucket Wheel in raised position:
28712428024_84ac570956.jpgIMG_3936 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Overhead view:
28712427874_34e12686d2.jpgIMG_3937 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Edited by Doug72

Having proved that two L.A.s would raise and lower the bucket wheel OK I have modified the support frame for the L.A.’s and incorporated an L motor to drive them.
Due to high loadings a strong worm drive gear box was required and this was built using 5L x 7L frames to prevent the gears jumping out of engagement.
(I could have used the Efferman worm gear box but trying to build and be Lego legal)

Both M motors for bucket wheel and conveyor have been re-loacated to lessen the load the LAs have to lift.
Took a while to devise a drive path from these and required the BW support frame modifying to allow this whist still ensuring the support arm remained rigid without flexing.

About 95% satisfied with the result - now only have to devise something to replicate the skid arm that trails behind the bucket wheel - see drawing.

Next stage is to build the track unit to carry the BW.

N.B. The red beams are temporary support while taking photos.

Drive to discharge conveyor;
28797325574_9b3ab1f20e.jpgIMG_3938 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Drive to bucket wheel:-
28797325734_beecaf1514.jpgIMG_3940 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Overhead view showing the two drive shafts:
29387088116_f5b562673d.jpgIMG_3939 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Drawing showing the “skid" device behind the bucket wheel:
29421561065_9655d9926e.jpgBWT by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Edited by Doug72

Looking very interesting.

In the last picture, which way does the machine drive? and what is that support on the far right?

In the last picture, which way does the machine drive? and what is that support on the far right?

The tracked unit on the drawing would move towards the left with BW trailing behind with BW rotating clockwise as viewed.

The support arm on the far right is what I called the "skid" - I think its purpose is to help support the weight of the BW and at same time smooth the bottom of the trench.

See post #5 for an image of this shown for the 1175XHD BW machine.

Still trying to replicate this arm without being too massive !

When MOC completed it will be almost at large as the 42055 BWE in size.

Have had to modify my display shelves in order to store & show it.

Edited by Doug72

Progress to date:
Tracked under carriage built and frame for L.A.s improved to give max digging depth and allow BW to be raised clear of the ground for travel when not digging.
Each track is individually driven by a XL motor and a 24T/worm gearbox.
Framing has to be well braced to prevent distortion. It took several re-builds until everthing was OK.

Unlike the BWE there is no long arm to counter balance the BW.
At present a lead weight is use to counter balance the Bucket wheel.
Next step build cabin and engine housing, when I am hoping 1 or 2 AA battery box) will suffice as a counterweight instead of the lead weight.

29507048746_e0de0e5e73_z.jpgIMG_3942 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Overhead view.
29251600200_7462f6c833.jpgIMG_3943 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Its becoming quite a beast - at present its 58 Cm long x 22 Cm wide.

Edited by Doug72