Hi, all,
I was planning to make a pneumatic front shovel excavator after buying 42053. Combining with the pneumatic parts of 42043, I'll have enough big cylinders for the excavator.
It will be a pretty big one and fully RC is a good choice.

Since this contest forbidding using PF other than driving the pumps, I chose to build a smaller one using the V1 pneumatic parts.

Planned functions:
1 x L motor for pump(s)
2 x V1 big cylinders for the boom
1 x V2 thin cylinder for the stick
2 x V1 big cylinders for the bucket tilting

The number of pumps and how to open the bucket are not decided yet.

I aim to build this: Liebherr R9800, but it may end to a smaller type since that will look more proper at a small scale.

liebherr-r-9800-samij-bolshoj-gornij-eks

The current progress:
img_3181.jpg

img_3182.jpg

img_3183.jpg

Advices are always welcome.

Thanks for watching

Edited by falconluan

This really looks like a model in the spirit of the contest. Not too big, lots of Pneumatics. You are indeed off to a good start.

Thanks Jim and other guys for your kind words.

I almost spent the whole weekend on this and now it looks like this: (keep in mind that the body work is there just to define the boundary)
img_3187.jpg

I decided to use a small pneumatic pump to power the bucket, it works pretty well.
img_3190.jpg

With all the tubes plugged on, the arm now seems a little messy.
img_3189.jpg

Unlike the real one, I merged most the tubes of the same functions together, and spilt them just before the cylinders' port. By doing this, there are "only" 8 tubes on the upper side of the boom.
img_3188.jpg

Also, having tested all the pneumatic functions and they all work well.

Please leave your comments and happy building.

Edited by falconluan

Wow, this one looks amazing, I like the bucket . So many tubing *oh2*

Wow, this one looks amazing, I like the bucket . So many tubing *oh2*

Thank you :blush: .
I was inspired by Sheo's great RH400 when designing the bucket. The "teeth", bent beam and panels combination are more or less learnt from him, So, kudos Sheo!

Edited by falconluan

Very good start so far. How is the performance of the half pins attached to the cylinders closest to the bucket? Do you have space for a solid axle in there?

How is the performance of the half pins attached to the cylinders closest to the bucket? Do you have space for a solid axle in there?

They did fine when there isn't any load in the bucket. The tube of the cylinder for the stick lies on the space for the axle. If the half pins fail when the bucket contains something I'll try to put a solid axle there anyway.
Thank you for the advice. :wink:

There are caterpillar, liebherr, hitachi, terex, demag and komatsu shovels...

Ahh, yes. The front part of Terex and liebherr's bucket are not very different, of course, I'm not the expert here. There back part differs pretty much. Luckily, the liebherr one is not very complex. :laugh:

Edited by falconluan

Just quietly, it's Sheo, not Shepo, but yes, I think this is looking like a fantastic smaller pneumatic interpretation of his RH400. I wish you well in finishing it for the competition. :thumbup:

Just quietly, it's Sheo, not Shepo

Thank you for the reminder and it's fixed :grin:

Edited by falconluan

A small update:
The cabin is almost finished and the pumps, L motor and valves are put in the hull. The ladder is now only one stud wide due to the small scale. Should I widen it to two studs for function or just keep it?

img_3257.jpg

Oh, forgot to say that I'll go with R9800 model, since it has the most "simple" hull.

Edited by falconluan

Looks interesting, but the ladder definitely should be 2 studs wide if possible

I think for these machines, the actual proportions are less important than the functions. So I'd also vote for a wider ladder, to make it look like an actual ladder. An axle with equally spaced 1 x 2 x 0.5 liftarms will probably do.

Anyhow, great progress, I really look forward to seeing this develop.

I think for these machines, the actual proportions are less important than the functions. So I'd also vote for a wider ladder, to make it look like an actual ladder. An axle with equally spaced 1 x 2 x 0.5 liftarms will probably do.

Thanks LXF and you for your advices. I'll try to make it 2 studs wide as you suggested. :thumbup:

Edited by falconluan

Continue updating:

I will not make instruction for it so started building the final version before finishing designing the undercarriage.
img_3361.jpg

Final version of the shovel and stick, hope you like it. Of course, a few tubes left to be plugged.
img_3355.jpg

Toke the suggestion about the ladders above, I used some 1x2 half beams to represent the ladders, thanks again, guys.
img_3357.jpg

img_3359.jpg

The side view of the finished hull, any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks for watching.

Edited by falconluan

Looks pretty awesome and much nicer to look at than your "colour vomit" version :wink:

Looks great! Very representative dedpite the small scale. Which tracks will you use? I also admire the color vomit prototyping, as I cannot build this way, so I guess I'm loosing time getting it right for the first time, but have to redo it anyway :-)