modsquare

Millennium Falcon

I have a question about about the Millennium Falcon lego set number 10179. I found a collection of 22 Lego sets at an estate sale. Most of them were unopened and still in their original boxes. I bought the lot for my 10 year old son. He assembled most of the smaller sets and was just about the assemble the Millennium Falcon when a friend of mine pointed out the value of the piece. Unfortunately he had already opened the box but hadn't yet opened all of the individual bags. I was wondering since he has already opened the box would it devalue the piece any more if I was to let him put it together? He has opened half of the bags already.

Edited by modsquare

A quick look on Ebay: opened 3000 to 4000, unopened 6000 to 7000.

If half of the bags are already opened, most potential buyers would not buy the set unless it was considerably reduced compared to a MISB set. That having been said, if nothing has been assembled yet (or used in any way), you might get away with selling it as a (heavily) discounted new set, but if you assemble it you can only sell it as a used set.

Since it's already opened, killing most of its value for collectors, I would say let him put it together. I recently Bricklinked one and the build is great fun, while the size of the finished model can only really be appreciated in person.

Complete used sets with box and instructions still go for quite hefty sums on Ebay, so you can still make some money if you decide to sell it.

Since, it is already half opened. I would say build it and sell it afterwards. You already lost the NEW value, might as well let him enjoy it and reap the rewards later.

You could also, sell just the rare pieces and recoup the cost of the lot, the rigging pieces on back sell for $100s and the radar dish is another piece going for $100s. Not sure what you paid for the lot, but, if you get $600 for those 3 pieces, might be worth keeping them all?!

Jamie

I would let your son keep it and let him know that it's a very rare set. I'm sure it would make him extra happy to know that, on top of it being a huge set and the best Falcon TLG have put out to date. :) Maybe later on if/when he grows out of Lego he could sell it, or maybe you could immediately after building it. Since you bought it for your son though, I would let him choose what he wants. Maybe say he could buy the smaller (but still good) TFA Falcon from last year and many other sets too.

At this point, I would let him build it. It's opened and that takes away the ridiculously high value for a NEW set. Enjoy building something with your son that few will ever get to experience.

A set with some bags sealed and never built will still be worth more than one that has been built. It seems cruel though to not let your son build it!

Hi modsquare, and welcome to Eurobricks!

As you've discovered 10179 is one of the most coveted of all LEGO SW sets, as reflected by the current aftermarket price. Personally, I'd suggest that you allow your son to build it (carefully!) but it may be worth using a free .pdf copy of the instructions from the LEGO website, and to also not apply the stickers etc to ensure that it retains as much value as possible. it's a mammoth build so you might want to oversee it (I can't build one in less than 20 hours, and I've tried to on several occasions!).

For future reference there's a general Q & A thread pinned to the top of the forum. I'll merge this with it in a bit :classic:

No way a set with the bags just opened would have the same value as used. Besides, it's very common to find sets sold as "new, without minifigures", which obviously requires opening the bags.

It's of course never gonna sell like a graded box, but still. It's just a minor defect like a scratch on the box.

There are people (like me) who open boxes & would prefer to buy "like new", at reduced price, because they know they won't get all the possible crap found in used sets.

Just ask your kid if he prefers to assemble what has no more value to him than any other set, or a lot of sets that you could buy with the money.