quilkin

Unusual building for Lego?

Here is my model of one of the 'engine houses' near to me in Cornwall, UK. It maybe the first engine house to be built in Lego, tell me if not! eh1.jpg

These engine houses were built a couple of centuries ago ; each building housed a steam engine which would be used to power lifts to take men up and down into the mines, or to power pumps to keep the mines clear of water. My model is based on the engine house at East Pool Mine (more info here). I'm not happy with the railings around the top platform; there is a Lego part that matches the original shape exactly but the scale's all wrong.

Many more photos on my brickshelf page.

The model is animated; the flywheel turns and the inside cylinder beams activate. I'll link to a video shortly.

Very, very nice! I really like all the textures. Instantly recognizable structure.

Andy D

Nice! You don't see this every day. Very interesting building and well build in LEGO.

Not only the exterior looks nice, but the inside as well.

Many thanks for all the positive comments. Gives me confidence to write to the National Trust (who own the original building) to see if they might want to display it as part of their visitor experience....

Absolutely brilliant! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Both exterior and interior are awesome, with all these details.

And the flywheel design is very clever!

This is fantastic! It's a very accurate realisation of the original - the National Trust would be mad not to take you up on your offer.

I've just bricklinked parts for a MOC of a 19th century pump house and your work here is giving me loads of inspiration with the chimney. I've pinned a picture linking back to your Brickshelf page - hope this is okay!?

Sorry for the late reply; I've been out of the country for a month (doing my other hobby - cycling).

Yes, it is motorised - I have now made a video:

Eanair - I saw your blog about the pump room. It looked promising but as you say no pint in continuing if you don't want to. I almost gave up on the engine house several times! I didn't see your link to my Brickshelf though.