CM4Sci

2017 Friends Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I love the little character spotlight sets. Olivia's new lab is especially fun — looks like she's built an entire family for Zobo! And they each have their own little bed/charging station! Not sure what the baby bottle for the little one is for though. XD I also love that the new set featuring Stephanie is designed to match her new house. They did something similar this year with Emma's Creative Workshop being designed to match her house from last year. It's fantastic continuity and I really appreciate it. Speaking of continuity, I'm also glad to see that Stephanie's family of bunnies is acknowleged in both sets (sorry for not remembering the Friends pet names)!

I'm not nearly so fond of the puppy show sets. The colors are fairly garish IMO, rather than harmonious like most Friends color palettes. And most of the play features are ones we've seen before. It's nice to see more dog breeds, but aside from the parade car (which is adorable and hilarious), this category fails to impress me. But what do I know — I'm not the target audience, and maybe young girls are just as enthusiastic about dog show sets as young boys are about fire engines!

The Pizzeria and Sports Center are both packed with play value. The Sports Center in particular features some really exciting and intense workout equipment, including a rock wall, punching bag, and… that thing… with the rings… you know the one. As you can see these Friends are a lot more athletic than I am. XD

Stephanie's House continues the tradition of giving each major character's house a distinct style of architecture. In this case, I get some wealthy southern suburbanite vibes, what with the bay window, porch swing, balcony, and non-functional shutters.

The pool is much nicer looking than I expected from prelims. I love the pool toys, aquarium, hot tub, shower, and bathroom. The new slide elements should prove useful for making water park layouts! The set definitely avoids feeling like a rehash of Heartlake City Pool.

So, I know the Roof Tile W. Lattice 1x2x2/3 has been colloquially known as the "cheese grater" for some time, but is its appearance in the Pizzeria the first time it's actually been used as one?

Great!  Most of the puppy sets are basically what we've already got in the Palace Pets or current party line, but I do really like the big puppy one, much to my surprise.  And the new slide pieces will be very very useful, because everything we build at home (my kid's nearly 5) has to have lots of slides, and the current slide half circle - even if you combine it with plate sections - is just a pain to work around in multiple.  The front of the house is excellent - that bay window! - and with a bit of de-pinking (pink and orange together is a bit painful) the gym looks pretty good.  I really like the photo printer design as well - I've made a few printers, but never one that looks like the ones in the print shop at work! 

18 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I love the little character spotlight sets. Olivia's new lab is especially fun — looks like she's built an entire family for Zobo! And they each have their own little bed/charging station! Not sure what the baby bottle for the little one is for though. XD I also love that the new set featuring Stephanie is designed to match her new house. They did something similar this year with Emma's Creative Workshop being designed to match her house from last year. It's fantastic continuity and I really appreciate it. Speaking of continuity, I'm also glad to see that Stephanie's family of bunnies is acknowleged in both sets (sorry for not remembering the Friends pet names)!

I'm not nearly so fond of the puppy show sets. The colors are fairly garish IMO, rather than harmonious like most Friends color palettes. And most of the play features are ones we've seen before. It's nice to see more dog breeds, but aside from the parade car (which is adorable and hilarious), this category fails to impress me. But what do I know — I'm not the target audience, and maybe young girls are just as enthusiastic about dog show sets as young boys are about fire engines!

The Pizzeria and Sports Center are both packed with play value. The Sports Center in particular features some really exciting and intense workout equipment, including a rock wall, punching bag, and… that thing… with the rings… you know the one. As you can see these Friends are a lot more athletic than I am. XD

Stephanie's House continues the tradition of giving each major character's house a distinct style of architecture. In this case, I get some wealthy southern suburbanite vibes, what with the bay window, porch swing, balcony, and non-functional shutters.

The pool is much nicer looking than I expected from prelims. I love the pool toys, aquarium, hot tub, shower, and bathroom. The new slide elements should prove useful for making water park layouts! The set definitely avoids feeling like a rehash of Heartlake City Pool.

I like Olivia's original Workshop better -- with the microscope, clamp, chemicals, etc.  (I still have it set up in my office to look at frequently) But I do like the extra robots and robot charging spots on this one.

I LOVE the photography set.  Reminds me of my dad's set up. May need to get two to have two of those lights (or see if I have the pieces to put it together already)

I didn't like a bunny in the bakery set. Animals and food do not mix!

I also like Andrea's stage set better than this new one -- esp. the piano.

The puppy sets... My 5 year old will love. She doesn't care what the set itself is. The pieces will go in the bin with other Lego pieces. But the Dogs will get added to her animal collection and played with plenty. We can afford $6 for just the animal piece.  The puppy car may well find itself with a whole menagerie inside.

I really like this pool better than the last one. ESP the new slide pieces that will allow for much more variation in slides in the future!  And an aquarium! And the stairs!  And a lifeguard seat!  I do miss the basketball hoop where you played from the pool.

My guess:

This piece with a sticker.

And a possibly new version of this piece (now with studs) where you put "photo" tiles (or is just this old piece?)

I thought that the umbrella piece is black but it looks like dark blue. :(

On 11/9/2016 at 9:06 PM, makoy said:

I thought that the umbrella piece is black but it looks like dark blue. :(

Yeah it does. We are never getting it in black...

Some of the sets has arrived at shops in Denmark. Sorry about the picture quality. I only had my crappy phone at hand. 

31276742620_c0ee1cbdcc_c.jpg

31649297045_dd5dcd1bb6_c.jpg

31649294795_ebc9e3e14e_c.jpg

30807903124_864802cbd0_c.jpg

30807899094_d509bc899b_c.jpg

31276733790_94ff671c83_c.jpg

On 11/9/2016 at 0:36 PM, Sarah said:

I didn't like a bunny in the bakery set. Animals and food do not mix!

Really? Should have told me that before the part of a pig I ate today and part of the cow I ate yesterday. :tongue:

Haha, good one!

I am really unimpressed by new Home. for some reason it has too much white (walls and furniture) and everything blends toghether horribly.

Hi I am new to this forum, hope you all do very well :)
I picked up the new house of Stephanie and the Pizzaria and the gift delivery sets :) And I really like them , so far I made one video review on the house :) 
Hope you enjoy the building review :) And that it gives some good impressions how the set is like :) 
Have a great day :) 
Greetings 

Edited by UnicornFunWithToys

Google-translated names for summer 2017 sets

41315 - Heartlake Surf Shop (€ 21.99)
41316 - Andrea's speedboat transportation (€ 32.99)
41317 - Sunshine catamaran (€ 82.49)
41318 - Heartlake Hospital (€ 109.99)

41321 - Winter sports SUV (€ 19.99)
41322 - Ski rink (€ 32.99)
41323 - Ski chalet (€ 49.49)
41324 - Ski lift (€ 65.99)

Thank you very much for the list, makoy! :classic:

Apart from that I'd have prefered a ski hotel over a ski chalet, a winter sports theme sounds like it could have potential! I only hope that the ski chalet will be big enough and include a decent interior and that the ski lift will be a decent built. Hopefully in one of the sets there will be a pisten bully. :classic:

It's a very bad news that the hospital goes to the Friends theme instead of to the City theme! :thumbdown:

I don't care about the speedboat transporter. :sceptic:

But the surf shop might be nice. Surely very small - in about the size of the gift service shop this January, but more decent since it'll be the same price but without truck. In contrast to the gift service shop I hope the surf shop will have sidewalls. :classic:

The most excited I'm about the catamaran. For the price of common 80 Euros, I bet that it'll be more some kind of yacht. Surely with nice interior and a bar on deck. :thumbup:

Let's hope this hospital has a wheelchair or even  baby!! Anna could make a second appearance as she is a doctor. I can't wait to see what they do for the build at that price. I can't imagine they would do an elevator again so I wonder what will take up the pieces? 

The catamaran will be a welcome addition as we haven't got a big vehicle since the dolphin cruiser. The surf shop sounds great too! 

The winter sub theme has very good mini doll potential and hopefully we'll get Santa in the advent Callander so it has something exclusive. 

Looking forward to the ski/winter sets. Heres hoping they are decent builds and can be integrated into the Winter Village. If the Chalet does have a ski lift, I might have to build a mountain for it to run down.

I agree that the hospital should of gone to city, but it will still be great. I also would hope to see another wheelchair guy and a baby- let's just wait to see!

Also, looking forward to the winter sports theme-esspecially the ski lift.?

Edited by The lego fan

HA! I KNEW IT! I was sure sooner or later we will get Winter theme! New comfy clothes incoming!

The Hospital is also a welcomin addition, but shame its just one huge set. A smaller set with doctor would be really nice!

Hospital eh ?

A baby in the mindoll series ?

Grand parents in the minidoll series ?

Questions which need answering, well for us city folk the instructions will allow us a re-colour to complete it's city-ization. :wink: