And the site says it wil be available on july 28Th not june 28th.

The model it self looks better than I thought!

@MattL600

Why do you open a new topic for 42070, when we have a 2017 topic discussion? You have even included the same video we already have in main 2017 forum...

I will merge this.

Just now, Milan said:

@MattL600

Why do you open a new topic for 42070, when we have a 2017 topic discussion? You have even included the same video we already have in main 2017 forum...

I will merge this.

Sorry I was completely oblivious about the 2017 set discussion. Sorry XD

A thought just popped up: 42070 has stickers that say tow 067. TLG stated they are not done with 40y anniversary. Could it be that they will make a competition for the fans to create the vehicle that should be towed? And maybe release that as a set later on?

I know @Jim already mentioned there is no set pending from TLG, but if it were to be a competition, TLG is not creating the set, so technically it still holds true...

Edited by Rudivdk

@MattL600 So you are not aware of the very first (top) topic on the site for months, and you sorry it with XD... are You cynical / arrogant / or not mature enough? Please don't answer to this, just give some thoughts how to proceed in the future.

ON: the coloring theme creates ambivalent feelings to me, on one hand I like some new colors, but obviously we miss the available part diversity. On the other hand for some models like 42066-42070, recoloring is like blurring the picture in TV for visual or verbal profanity ... everybody knows what is happening actually, but sure... if we don't see/say it out loud, it doesn't exist. 

Just now, agrof said:

@MattL600 So you are not aware of the very first (top) topic on the site for months, and you sorry it with XD... are You cynical / arrogant / or not mature enough? Please don't answer to this, just give some thoughts how to proceed in the future.

Please don't make comments like this.

3 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

42070 bends severely under it's own weight. Would bother me a lot. Smells like something that could be improved :wink:.

800x450.jpg

Woah! How did I not notice that?! That's in serious need of reinforcing. The B-model looks wobbly as well; when Jeppe flicks the white switch, a whole section of the structure flexes.

3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Woah! How did I not notice that?! That's in serious need of reinforcing. The B-model looks wobbly as well; when Jeppe flicks the white switch, a whole section of the structure flexes.

That is like a quarter of a stud, and even that might be just the bodywork, not the chassis. And everything in real life bends :wink:

Not sure I see the bending.  If u zoom in the photo with digital line u can see it is not straight either. Super slight deviations, to be sure....but as mentioned by @Zblj the alleged bending is so very slight itself. So not straight line might explain the alleged bending

I see double frame chassis, reinforced by frames, L arms, most of the gearbox is in between the frames of the chassis, so is the motor. I seriously doubt it would bend noticeably. I call perspective and camera distortion.

Plus bending and flexibility is the part of any structure, if it is real life bridge or Lego car. Design question is always, where, how, how much.

Edited by J_C

That small amount of bending could even be barrel distortion of the lens of the camera. In any case, like I have said before, this is an RC model driven by a single XL motor so they will want it to be light, hence the low piece count relative to it's size. This may have lead to compromises being made in terms of the rigidity of the model.

If there is a bend, it shouldn't interfere with the function of the set. The Bucket Wheel Excavator had a bend in the central part of the set where the main drive shafts were and it functioned well, apart from the clutch gear in the wrong place in the main gear box! 

I hope that the turning radius of the 42070 is good, too many sets have had a bad steering system, e.g. Artic Truck and more recent the Porsche. 

The front axle is using portal hubs so it depends if there are uni joints or cv joints, but in either way I'm expecting pivot point too far out of the wheel

To be honest 42069 looks as if it has some nice features to it, I especially like the little system for the door. Oh, the V8 engine as well is also a nice added bonus! 

3 minutes ago, Globemaster8 said:

To be honest 42069 looks as if it has some nice features to it, I especially like the little system for the door. Oh, the V8 engine as well is also a nice added bonus! 

Yeah, recent sets have been a little light on engines. I think some builders are a bit bored of them, but I also think it makes a set more authentic.

Edited by Maaboo35

4 hours ago, allanp said:

That small amount of bending could even be barrel distortion of the lens of the camera. In any case, like I have said before, this is an RC model driven by a single XL motor so they will want it to be light, hence the low piece count relative to it's size. This may have lead to compromises being made in terms of the rigidity of the model.

And in response to @Zero (Zblj)@nerdsforprez and @J_C

And it drives remarkably well. LEGO has to make compromises, no doubt about that. Even if that would lead to a little bending, I wouldn't want to hold it against LEGO, as long as the functions are not affected. It's just my personal preference to see a chassis with no visually noticeable bending under the vehicles own weight, which is something different from bending while the vehicle is working and from (torsional) flex, which I regard as things much more common to these kind of vehicles and certainly to LEGO replicas.

Edited by Didumos69

This is the first time in a number of years I've not desired a second set of the flagship model to build the B model in addition to the A model.

Sad times.

on a more positive, I like the fire truck and the snow off roader

12 hours ago, only_you_090 said:

Nice, 42069 model have rubbers no. 24375 on the track.

Nice model indeed :thumbup: IMHO best set this year

I watched video of 42069 again and this set really needs some kind of minifig. There is a lot of (non-technic) play features like first aid kit, gasoline containers, sleeping section etc., but no figure to play with. Lego is using 3x6x3 curved panel as seat more and more so making a figurine to suit it would be fine. Old technic figures are too large and I think more simple one would be sufficient.

18 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

That is like a quarter of a stud, and even that might be just the bodywork, not the chassis. And everything in real life bends :wink:

17 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Not sure I see the bending.  If u zoom in the photo with digital line u can see it is not straight either. Super slight deviations, to be sure....but as mentioned by @Zblj the alleged bending is so very slight itself. So not straight line might explain the alleged bending

16 hours ago, J_C said:

I see double frame chassis, reinforced by frames, L arms, most of the gearbox is in between the frames of the chassis, so is the motor. I seriously doubt it would bend noticeably. I call perspective and camera distortion.

15 hours ago, allanp said:

Okay guys, you can close your eyes for this, but after looking at some more images end the rest of the same video I'm quite sure the chassis does bend noticeably under it's own weight and the reason is also quite evident. Take a look at the first 5 seconds of this part of the video (timestamp 0:24).

Now let me recall @dokludi's 42070 replica. It shows the same bending.

800x451.jpg

But take a look at the section of the chassis behind the crane turntable. The main structure running over the rear axles boils down to a flat (1 stud high) composition of beams and frames only, which is of course likely to bend. There are some vertical beams and some bent liftarms, but they don't contribute to the main structure.

img_20170222_115213.jpg

img_20170222_121400.jpg

You can see the same flat structure above the rear axles in this still from the video. Also notice the use of several 3x5-L-arms without adding anything to the structure. I guess they only serve as stoppers for the rear axles.

800x450.jpg

I still don't blame LEGO for building it like this, it's cheap and doesn't interfere with other functions, but I truly believe a well-designed vehicle like this, should at least have a 3 stud high main structure running over the rear axles.

EDIT: Concerning the rear section of the chassis, this is what I could deduce so far. It shouldn't be too difficult to integrate the DBG beams better and extend them all the way to the back.

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69