41 minutes ago, agrof said:

I already see AFOLS being busy on making suspension on the front too, maybe 4WD as well...

Isn't the whole point of this model a reproduction of the 1980 set, mechanical simplicity and all? :wink: To this end, I'd add only a differential and perhaps a 3rd gear.

2 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Isn't the whole point of this model a reproduction of the 1980 set, mechanical simplicity and all? :wink: To this end, I'd add only a differential and perhaps a 3rd gear.

Who's going to be first? I have the sets,but not the time. Waiting on first competed, and first mod.

Maybe someone should start a new thread for this model and mods?

Maybe call the thread "40 Year Chassis, instructions, builds, hints and mods" and include the link to the instructions in the first post?

What say, Jim?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

first post on eurobrick !

it seems for me that the new set has already 3 gears like the original set, but shame that it lacks differential...

edit : after studying a bit more the pdf it seems there is only 2 gears (plus maybe a neutral position ?)

Edited by jf06

Looking at Blakbirds Technicopidea I see that the original set only really had 2 gears, despite there being three gears in the gearbox you could only select 2 of them depending on if it was motorized or not. So I guess functionally the remake is accurate to only have 2 gears. Would be more mechanically accurate to have 3 however, plus the differential and tilt adjustment for the seat. But considering they had to build it from only the parts that comes with 3 of the first wave sets it's quite impressive, and I love the front cover of the instructions, how they matched it to the original is great!  

1 minute ago, allanp said:

Looking at Blakbirds Technicopidea I see that the original set only really had 2 gears, despite there being three gears in the gearbox you could only select 2 of them depending on if it was motorized or not.

I own the original set ( for approximatively 30 years :classic:  ) and it has 3 gears, but you're right without motorization only 2 were able to spin the fake engine, the 3rd put too much stress.

I was curious, so I built it in LDD. It really feels that there was a strong constraint to use the available parts of the 3 sets only, still it is an interesting build. As a gesture and hommage set from LEGO it is up to the (my) expectations, and good inspiration for smaller supercar builds. :thumbup:

LDD file available here, only one part is missing : 6167281.jpg

800x450.jpg

EDIT: and a quick MOD (LDD file here) with size comparison to 42048. :wink:

1280x625.jpg

Edited by agrof

I found a 4K resolution pic of the Extreme Adventure 42069, and it reveals 3 things:

- It has Ackerman steering! The rack is offset by 1 stud inside, not connected directly to the front wheel.

- The suspensions in the rear wheels use similar pieces as suspensions in front wheel of MB Arocs. 

- The lowered suspension the in rear wheel isn't adjustable suspension. It's just  thatthe piece holding the suspension snapped out.

Pic: http://d1re64py91r9s9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/18213707/img_0072.jpg

4 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

I found a 4K resolution pic of the Extreme Adventure 42069, and it reveals 3 things:

- It has Ackerman steering! The rack is offset by 1 stud inside, not connected directly to the front wheel.

- The suspensions in the rear wheels use similar pieces as suspensions in front wheel of MB Arocs. 

- The lowered suspension the in rear wheel isn't adjustable suspension. It's just  thatthe piece holding the suspension snapped out.

Pic: http://d1re64py91r9s9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/18213707/img_0072.jpg

Note the MR on the side of the passenger door - Milan Reindl? Looks like the sort of thing he'd design. The 'Zulu' logo from 42066 also appears at the back; I laughed when I read the 'Air Philters' one. :laugh: 

The driver side door is up; I like the way that opens! I assume the other door does the same. :sweet: Track links on the roof as well - spares for the drive units? There's so much to point out here, so I'll leave it to others to point out the rest! :wink:

14 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

The yellow piece looks more like a stop than anything. It has come out but it is on the single pin end of a 3l blue pin and is not connected to anything else.

if you conpare the pictures of the rear raised and lowered you can see he real and fake shocks rotate inwards.

4 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

@deehtha The yellow liftarm is connected to a pin that is connected to this piece

4610371.jpg

And that is all it is connected to. My gues is the yellow liftarm is a range limiter to keep people from over extending the suspension. 

Well since ihe yellow liftarm snapped out I don't think you can claim for sure that it connects to nothing besides that piece.

That 42069 set is kind of huge. 

It's using the Porsche fenders, in purple, and the step-rail is a 3X11 panel. Those jerricans on the roof are 4.67 bricks tall. 22 studs tall to the top of the luggage rack, and roughly 53 studs and maybe 25 studs wide long by my 'count'. 

Knob behind the passenger door operates the winch. 

Real question is does the shifter in the cabin do anything, or is it just for looks?

Edited by rollermonkey

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before but will 42064 searching ship be available in the US. I can't seem to find it anywhere and isn't on the US lego shop at home site. Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

When looking through some of Sariel and Jangbricks' reviews on YouTube I was surprised by all the negativity towards the 2017 sets. Imo these are great and I like most of them!

Does anyone know a possible reason for the negativity? Were people's expectations too high (since it's 40th anniversary?)

2 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Does anyone know a possible reason for the negativity? Were people's expectations too high (since it's 40th anniversary?)

Without derailing this topic (I hope), I think that 2016 was the pinnacle of Technic in a long time. So 2017 was (is?) kinda meeehhhh.

It's even more meh when you have a set with a price near the Porsche's price and a piece count 2/3 of the Porsche's piece count :hmpf_bad:

Note that the Porsche doesn't have any PF elements, which naturally raise the price-per-part. There's also the eventual licensing fees, though.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Without derailing this topic (I hope), I think that 2016 was the pinnacle of Technic in a long time. So 2017 was (is?) kinda meeehhhh.

Ah I see. I did feel some of them were rather weak though (but like you, I don't want to derail this thread)

As for the 2017 sets:

• Ultralight Helicopter: I think this is "meh", but for the price ($29.99 in NZ), it's tolerable. It's the same price as the Stunt Bike & Truck in the US though, so that's not so great.
  • Stunt Bike: Kind of "meh" too, the exposed gears to power the rear wheel look bad and make the bike too fat. Plus it's $34.99 NZD so, since it's much smaller than the equal-priced Stunt Truck, it really hurts this set. I would buy this only to get the combined model.
  • Stunt Truck: For $34.99 again, this has great value :thumbup: plus the color looks great. What's not to like?
  • Roadwork Crew: $39.99 (same price as Scarecrow Special Delivery) The models themselves aren't anything overly awesome but I think they work. I like this set.
  • Telehandler: I like this set, but the B-model seems lacking and it's $59.99. Ouch.
  • Container Yard: I like this! The reach stacker looks cool and the truck seems nice as well. The stacker seems to grip the containers pretty well. And I like the B-model too!
  • BMW: Eh, looks a little crude in its final form. For $99.99 (same price as Container Yard) I'd skip this in favor of the Container Yard.
  • RC Tracked Racer: This is $149.99. Crazy! I understand that there are Power Functions but the final model looks pretty small. I could buy the U-wing for the same price and be much more satisfied.
  • Ocean Explorer: Seems pretty good value imo ($199.99) but there are a few flaws with the design, as I learnt from @Sariel's review.
  • Air Race Jet: The functions are awesome, but for the price ($269.99) I feel there could be more.

For the summer sets:

• Airport Rescue Vehicle: Looks pretty interesting, have we had a similar vehicle in Technic before? Though I probably won't pick it up
  • Extreme Adventure: Not a fan of how it looks. Purple and black can go well together, but not when mixed with grey and yellow. :sick:
  • Tow Truck: Hey, looks cool! But I wonder how long it is, since it seems a little small for the price (thanks Power Functions?)

1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

RC Tracked Racer: This is $149.99. Crazy!

I don't know about NZ prices, but it's about $80 in USA. For that price you get:

- around $60 worth of PF elements (motors etc.)
- around $8 worth of tracks
- 300 pieces on top of it

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, especially since other sets with remote-control PF stuff sit in the $300+ area.

Edited by Sariel

1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Airport Rescue Vehicle: Looks pretty interesting, have we had a similar vehicle in Technic before?

@Sariel oh you replied! I love your reviews :sweet:

I didn't realize PF were so expensive. Still, I'd rather skip the Power Functions and get a better sized model.

2 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Wow, that actually looks pretty similar!

I got RC Tracked Racer for less then 90€  and I think too that it's a good deal for the price, not to count that it's really funny to play, my kids love it! I'm going to "buwizz" (is that even a verb?) it soon.

And you forgot the hidden best set of 2017, with the three combined sets you can have the new car chassis ;)