Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] Announcing 10254 Winter Holiday Train

I think there will still be some room left inside the cab, as the PF receiver is going right behind the water tank, replacing the green slopes in front of the cab. Granted, it will eat up some space inside the cab.

It looks like a bunch of wires squished in the cab in this picture.

28831113721_b4fbef9f16_c.jpg

There are probably ways to make it work. You could have the engineer sit on top of a seat on a plate and have the wires run underneath the plate.

I'm sure a UK AFOL at one of the Lego shows I've been to (Steam or Brick) had a very similar design of a micro train going around on the main train carriage. I wonder if they stole his idea?

also nice to see another source for small red driver wheels with technic axle hole.

After seeing the preliminary images I thought it was OK, but after seeing the hi-res ones and the video, I think it's really good. The price point is very reasonable as well.

Yeah it looks good

I was expecting a magical train with Santa and such... but this one looks nice anyway

I just realized that the coal cart is only 8 studs long? The 10173 one was 12 right? So we have to extend it, if we want to place the old 9v motor in it.

The 9v with the black wheels would look bad with the big red wheel, any other ideas?

Glad to see that it is compatible with power functions. I wonder if they will offer a bundled purchase online. Overall, it looks nice, although I think it would have looked a little better in darker green.

I will most likely use just with motor and rechargeable battery. There will be much less wires and that ugly big gray receiver will not be there. It's easier for children anyway: just dial the speed and click the button to start.

The rotating tree in the back is a nice touch. I would have liked another figure for the price but I already have way too many WV figs already. :grin:

I like the set quite a bit, a huge improvement over last years winter village but I wish they would of at least added a passenger car, but the set looks good.

I wonder if they will offer a bundled purchase online.

Good question. I believe the previous holiday train in 2006 had two offerings: a simplified econo-line version and then one with track, speed regulator and 9v motor. Any rumors on this?

That's one young grandmother :laugh:

Or maybe she dyes her hair :) I am constantly amazed how many of the older moms I know dye their hair.

BTW, grandma seems to have a double-sided head (Two faces)

Edited by Sarah

It looks good, and I love the rotating christmas tree. I'm planning on converting it to 9V, but wouldnt have enough track to encircle the Village properly. How do we think this would look around the merry go round, make it like an amusement park train ride. I really like the jacket the "grandmother" has, nice change to the usual jacket and scarf every WV seems to come with.

Set looks much better in the video than I originally thought it would. I was pretty excited for the set but after seeing the addition of the spinning tree this is a must buy now! Can't wait to add a little chugga chugga to our winter village!

OK, I have a question. Check out the photos in the first post and then look at the video of the train

Am I the only one seeing two different green colors on the train when comparing the photos to the video? The photos look lime green to me while the video appears to be a significantly (and the one I am hoping for) darker green? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me?

Edit: Just saw post 17. Yes, we are talking about a major difference here.

Edited by AFOLguy1970

Ok. It's finally announced and it looks cute, but including NONE of the straight tracks... that's poor. I just don't get TLG and their politics with those straights.

OK, I have a question. Check out the photos in the first post and then look at the video of the train

Am I the only one seeing two different green colors on the train when comparing the photos to the video? The photos look lime green to me while the video appears to be a significantly (and the one I am hoping for) darker green? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me?

Edit: Just saw post 17. Yes, we are talking about a major difference here.

I wondered the same thing. Best guess is somewhere in between. The video to me looks a bit muted based on other WV sets. The color on the pictures appears to be really blown out and loud which I seriously doubt will be the actual color.

So now we need the Lego community to come up with additional ideas for train cars to add to this train. Personally, I think it needs some passenger cars for the Minifigs.

Yes I agree that it needs a passenger car. Otherwise it's lovely and we will really enjoy adding this to our winter village setup.

So now we need the Lego community to come up with additional ideas for train cars to add to this train. Personally, I think it needs some passenger cars for the Minifigs.

Agreed.

That caboose with the really low cupola looks pretty much like one of those small old passenger cars with roof windows for sunlight. I don't think it would be hard to ditch the cupola on the caboose and turn it into a passenger car or change its roof line to look like the LGB passenger car.

LGB_72301_Passenger-Steam-Starter-Set_Smoke_Lights+SL-22-LEDs_BluePassCar-3011_rt-side_800.jpg

That caboose with the really low cupola looks pretty much like one of those small old passenger cars with roof windows for sunlight. I don't think it would be hard to ditch the cupola on the caboose and turn it into a passenger car or change its roof line to look like the LGB passenger car.

LGB_72301_Passenger-Steam-Starter-Set_Smoke_Lights+SL-22-LEDs_BluePassCar-3011_rt-side_800.jpg

While it does look like a caboose the designer actually calls it a passenger car in the video.. Buy 2 of the sets and expand them is probably what I will do