Inthert

[MOC] Incom T-65 X-wing

I’m still playing with this design, but lately I’ve had trouble deciding between 3x3 or 4x4 engines… Depending from what direction you look at the xwing, either 3x3 or 4x4 can look better. I think the reason is because the body is too large compared to its length.

So right now I’m trying to tweak the scale of the design (tweak mind you, nothing critical). I intend to:

- lengthen the part in front of the canopy by 4 studs. Incidentally, this will decrease the slope in front of the canopy so that the angles won’t be the same anymore, even with Inthert’s. I was afraid this was going to be difficult because the slope is given by 47397. However I think I've found a solution (+2 to +5 studs).

- push the wings back by one or two studs

- lengthen the rear part (behind the wings) as well. It seems to me that the rear of the body should protrude from the wings (when the craft is seen from above)

If and when I manage to do all that in a satisfactory way, I’ll probably have to increase the sizes of the wings as well, but this should be relatively straightforward. It will also give more surface to play with the color pattern.

And finally I’ll have to finish what I started with the 4x4 engines (hopefully they will look just right when the scale is changed). Right now I have a solution that looks ok (even if it is not finished), but the inner half cylinders are too crowded so that they won't accomodate internal greebling. Which would be a pity (especially since the ½ cylinders can easily rotate to reveal what’s inside). Hopefully I’ll find a better way.

And I’d like to tweak the canopy some more. And bring back the gray hinges on the sides of the cockpit. I also think that R2D2 sits too high, but I don't think it can be lowered easily.

So many little things I’d like to do :-/

In the meantime, I’ve found other mistakes in my LDD file:

- 4x 87087 must be replaced by 4x 4070 (below R2D2). This is a fairly important mistake because it prevents the inside of the body to fit properly (by a fraction of a stud, but still)

- 2x 3023 + 2x 3024 must be replaced by 2x 2420 (in front of R2D2)

- 2x 3023 must be removed (same place)

I'm currently correcting the file, but until I'm done I have removed it from my previous message. Again, sorry for the mistakes.

I’m still playing with this design, but lately I’ve had trouble deciding between 3x3 or 4x4 engines… Depending from what direction you look at the xwing, either 3x3 or 4x4 can look better. I think the reason is because the body is too large compared to its length.

So right now I’m trying to tweak the scale of the design (tweak mind you, nothing critical). I intend to:

- lengthen the part in front of the canopy by 4 studs. Incidentally, this will decrease the slope in front of the canopy so that the angles won’t be the same anymore, even with Inthert’s. I was afraid this was going to be difficult because the slope is given by 47397. However I think I've found a solution (+2 to +5 studs).

- push the wings back by one or two studs

- lengthen the rear part (behind the wings) as well. It seems to me that the rear of the body should protrude from the wings (when the craft is seen from above)

If and when I manage to do all that in a satisfactory way, I’ll probably have to increase the sizes of the wings as well, but this should be relatively straightforward. It will also give more surface to play with the color pattern.

I'm experiencing the same trouble deciding between 4x4 or 3x3, I have to say I'm leaning on the side of 4x4 though, the attraction of internal greebling is to great :P.

Sounds like some pretty critical changes to me ;) I'm intrigued as to what your plan for the nose is. I'm fully aware the scale is off in many areas, when I built it I mostly went with what looked right, not necessarily what was right if you see what I mean, very interested in what the result of your changes will be though!

Stating the scale was off was not meant as a criticism, I'm sure you realize that.

And the changes I work on are really not critical. It's just a lengthening of some parts, that's all. For the nose, it pretty straightforward, I've just stacked the slopes. I'll share a LDD with you if you're interested (temporarily because of the 100 ko limit).

Ultimately I intend to share a LDD of my customized Inthert's T-65 xwing though... providing I'm satisfied with it, which is not a given.

Well I finally had a chance to sit down and build Inthert's X-wing. I finished pretty late last night so no making fun of the very quick cell phone pics ;-)

Overall I am very, very impressed. The model went together very well and looks great! I had to scramble a bit with what few pieces I had on hand for the wings as when I constructed them in LDD (deviating from Inthert's a bit) I found them to be very very weak. I'm going to look into redesigning them along with beefing up the hinge mechanism to improve the "swooshability." As it stands now they are still quite delicate.

I'm with Gary_Mouser on a few items:

1) Something that I noticed from the beginning is that R2 sticks up a bit too much. Unfortunately this is going to be a tough tweak as a bulk of the structure that holds the whole model together is right below. I should be able to figure out a solution that would drop him a plate or two.

2) From a scale perspective I'd like to also lengthen the fuselage. I'd be very interested to see how Gary manages. I think that I will also employ plates stacked sideways for the flat length that extends from the front of the canopy to the tip of the nose so that I can include some of the yellow/tan that is prominent on the studio model.

3) Also mented this may mean going to a 4x4 engine section and a couple other tweaks.

Has anyone actually done the math to know how many studs long a scale x-wing should be at minifig size? This shouldn't be too hard and would be a good gut check.

BTW here is one of the best references I've been able to find on Red 5:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=3295

Again a huge thanks to Inthert for the beautiful model!

29099935705_3f0b68c5a2.jpgX-Wing1 by Brian Bills, on Flickr

29023011701_ebcff53d93.jpgW-Wing2 by Brian Bills, on Flickr

To answer my own question:

An X-wing is 41 feet long. The average pilot height is 5'10" or 5.83 feet tall. A minifig is 5 studs tall.

(41x5) / 5.83 = 35.16 studs long.

Inthert's X-wing fuselage is already 38 studs long...

Stating the scale was off was not meant as a criticism, I'm sure you realize that.

And the changes I work on are really not critical. It's just a lengthening of some parts, that's all. For the nose, it pretty straightforward, I've just stacked the slopes. I'll share a LDD with you if you're interested (temporarily because of the 100 ko limit).

Ultimately I intend to share a LDD of my customized Inthert's T-65 xwing though... providing I'm satisfied with it, which is not a given.

I said myself the scale is off so it's not a criticism :D

I think I know what you mean for the nose, sounds like a good idea to achieve a different angle. Any LDD file would be welcome, but if you want to wait until its finished and just post pictures that's absolutely fine too.

Well I finally had a chance to sit down and build Inthert's X-wing. I finished pretty late last night so no making fun of the very quick cell phone pics ;-)

Overall I am very, very impressed. The model went together very well and looks great! I had to scramble a bit with what few pieces I had on hand for the wings as when I constructed them in LDD (deviating from Inthert's a bit) I found them to be very very weak. I'm going to look into redesigning them along with beefing up the hinge mechanism to improve the "swooshability." As it stands now they are still quite delicate.

I'm with Gary_Mouser on a few items:

1) Something that I noticed from the beginning is that R2 sticks up a bit too much. Unfortunately this is going to be a tough tweak as a bulk of the structure that holds the whole model together is right below. I should be able to figure out a solution that would drop him a plate or two.

2) From a scale perspective I'd like to also lengthen the fuselage. I'd be very interested to see how Gary manages. I think that I will also employ plates stacked sideways for the flat length that extends from the front of the canopy to the tip of the nose so that I can include some of the yellow/tan that is prominent on the studio model.

3) Also mented this may mean going to a 4x4 engine section and a couple other tweaks.

BTW here is one of the best references I've been able to find on Red 5:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=3295

Again a huge thanks to Inthert for the beautiful model!

Thank you for building it, and for calling it beautiful!

The main problem I have with the wings are the lower ones, I've found they can sometimes work lose over time. I found some 2x2 plates with finger hinge on top grip better than others, so that might be something to consider. Also I try to open the wings by only putting pressure on the top two engines. Modifying the mechanism to be sturdier will obviously be the best way of reducing its delicateness, I just thought you might find that information helpful :)

Thanks for those reference pics, I've tried to find a good selection of pictures but never found a site.

And once again, thank you for building it! it makes all the trouble I had with making the instructions worth it :D

To answer my own question:

An X-wing is 41 feet long. The average pilot height is 5'10" or 5.83 feet tall. A minifig is 5 studs tall.

(41x5) / 5.83 = 35.16 studs long.

Inthert's X-wing fuselage is already 38 studs long...

So the nose is too long? ;) As I say I just went with want looked right so I'm not at all surprised its out. However, I too thought it would be too short rather than too long...

Thanks for the references blbills. I'll check and see if they are very different from the ones I used. It's likely I'll reach another conclusion regarding the length though. It's just a matter of choosing a reference... Inthert's design is not minifig scale, that much is obvious. I don't say it cannot be done, but it would require huge modifications.

I, on the other hand, try to tweak the scale so that it looks like the real thing, even though the pilot will look too big. I'm not saying it's better to do it that way either, it's just what I do. The reference I chose is the width of the body, because I think that would be the hardest to modify.

About R2, an easy fix would be to replace its body by 17485 and its legs by 17486. Not very satisfactory, unless you don't take him out of the xwing.

I have questions about the design (to both Inthert and blbills):

- how difficult is it to attach the 4 gray slopes at the rear of the body? I managed to attach all the hinges in the body and to get the angles right (I'm proud about that actually), but these slopes still won't fit... I think it's a close thing though.

- Same question with the black hinges in the nose (6134). For these, there is no way I can make it work in LDD. Far from it. Did I make another mistake, or is it just a shortcoming of LDD?

About the things I want to do:

- lengthen nose: done

- push wings back: done (2 studs, but 1 might be better). So I have an empty column of 2x2 studs behind R2 (or possibly 1x2). Any idea for greebling?

- canopy tweak: I've taken another look at my canopies, and I don't like them after all. They look off from the sides. I think Inthert captured the right angle, so maybe it will look better with the new nose.

- lengthen rear part of the body: still to be done

- 4x4 engines: work in progress

- lower R2: mini R2 is acceptable enough for me. The little bugger sits on a critical part of the design. I will not mess with it.

- wings: I'll have to wait until the modifications above are done. Inthert, if they are too flimsy right now, how about bringing back the double hinges just like in Psiaki's design? Would it help? With the lengthened body, I think I will have plenty of room for that.

- inverted slope under the body: I noticed this is too close to the pilot. I will push that back as well. I don't expect it to be difficult.

I have to say I'm not concerned with swooshability though, I'm far too old for that. :-) So if I have to choose between sturdiness and good looks, I'll go with the later (to an extent... I still want to be able to touch it without the whole thing crumbling down).

I'll upload a LDD for my tweaks later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the references blbills. I'll check and see if they are very different from the ones I used. It's likely I'll reach another conclusion regarding the length though. It's just a matter of choosing a reference... Inthert's design is not minifig scale, that much is obvious. I don't say it cannot be done, but it would require huge modifications.

No worries.

About R2, an easy fix would be to replace its body by 17485 and its legs by 17486. Not very satisfactory, unless you don't take him out of the xwing.

I've thought about this. The reality is R2 is already a bit difficult to remove as the slides are angled in a bit. This requires you to flex the sides apart to get him in and out.

- how difficult is it to attach the 4 gray slopes at the rear of the body? I managed to attach all the hinges in the body and to get the angles right (I'm proud about that actually), but these slopes still won't fit... I think it's a close thing though.

- Same question with the black hinges in the nose (6134). For these, there is no way I can make it work in LDD. Far from it. Did I make another mistake, or is it just a shortcoming of LDD?

I didn't even have the slightest problem with either of these areas on the real thing. BTW without those 6134's the whole model would crumble.

I have to say I'm not concerned with swooshability though, I'm far too old for that. :-) So if I have to choose between sturdiness and good looks, I'll go with the later (to an extent... I still want to be able to touch it without the whole thing crumbling down).

I'm excited to see it.

I didn't even have the slightest problem with either of these areas on the real thing. BTW without those 6134's the whole model would crumble.

Good to know, thanks.

FYI, here is what I'm going for (the pictures were scaled so that the widths of the bodies are more or less the same):

29075690206_3996478367_c.jpgscale by Gary Mozer, sur Flickr

So it seems the wings are not misplaced after all. And for what I try to do, the nose is definitely too short (3 studs should do the trick).

blbills has already answered your questions but your right, it is really down to the shortcomings of LDD. I look forward to seeing your modifications :)

From that picture you posted, I'm surprised my model it as close as it is, thanks for sharing :)

I've thought about this. The reality is R2 is already a bit difficult to remove as the slides are angled in a bit. This requires you to flex the sides apart to get him in and out.

I had designed it so that flexing the sides aren't necessary, you see the two curved slopes ether side of R2 are only joined by one stud. This means you need only remove these slopes ether side of him to take him out of the X-wing. Hope that helps prevent any un-welcome damage to the ship ;)

Played around today with the wing mechanism. My goal was strengthen it without starting over. I actually got quite lucky on this one and the mod is quite simple.

Gary_Mouser, I would strongly recommend updating your LDD with the below mod. After building this model in actual lego I've found this to be a must.

As seen below Inthert's wing mechanism is in the background (at least my best attempt to mimic his design). I've found the lower wings to be quite fragile and they break off with even minor adjustment. You'll see that there are only two studs holding each lower wing to the hinge.

My very quick mod is to replace Inthert's hinge with a 44301 and sandwich it as seen in the wing mechanism in for foreground.

28501269983_f6d0740d98.jpgProposed wing mechanism change by Brian Bills, on Flickr

Thanks for the suggestion. It will be quite easy to implement it in my LDD, because I already use this hinge. :-)

When I tried to mimic Inthert's wings, I really had a hard time and using this hinge was the only way I could do it. Glad to hear it's also sturdier.

Anyway, here is a LDD file of the tweaks I work on. It's still a work in progress though. A few bricks disappeared because they were "not placed correctly", but that's not the point. The bricks in blue are the ones I modified (generally speaking, it's not always the case).

Here is a list of what I tried to do:

- nose lengthened by 3 studs. I worry that the black hinges won't work anymore though. I would have liked to use 43179 instead of 48183 (near the canopy), but I didn't find a way. I would have to increase the nove by 1/2 stud, but I don't know how to deal with the slopes (85984) at the bottom.

- customized canopy (even though I don't really like it anymore)

- mini R2-D2

- 4x4 engines + slopes: obviously there are still a lot of work to be done, but it gives you an idea. The engines should be closer to the rear.

- double hinged wings, and increased span (2 studs, so 1 stud by wing)

- body lengthened by 4 studs, but I think that's too much. 3 (2?) should be better.

- Alternative lower parts (the original ones don't work anymore because of the lengthened body)

- Extra greebling on top of the body (I did what I could, but suggestions are most welcome)

And obviously I had to modify the inside to attach the new wings. For the most part, I duplicated Inthert's "modules" though.

Let me know what you think (what looks good, what looks bad, suggestions, criticisms...).

I would have liked to leave Inthert's vanilla T-65 in the file for comparison, but the file would be too big.

EDIT: LDD removed, updated version in my latter post

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Gary_Mouser,

I think it's looking great! I really respect your idea of taking an excellent model (Inthert's) and going to the next level with it. I like your approach of using the plan views as a gut check. I really think this model has the potential of becoming one of the most accurate minifig scale-ish X-Wings of all time. Lets keep working it.

I'm wondering if we should split the effort off of Inthert's main thread so as to not take away from his original design?

Few thoughts that I had at first glance:

-Love the added greeblings behind R2

-Had no idea that a "mini" R2 could be created. That solves a lot of things.

-It would be interested to see how this model compares to your plan view again. On that note have you had a chance to compare the side profiles? From my memory I believe the bulge underneath just behind the canopy is more prominent. I could be totally wrong though.

-I wonder now that you've killed the landing gear in the rear if it makes sense to kill the one up front? This would give ample room to create additional support structure for the nose. Just a thought as it looks like you are transitioning to more of a display model rather than a play toy with some of your decisions (which I'm totally cool with)

-I'm not a fan of trying to duplicate the red markings on the wings with the 1x2 tiles. Even on the much larger USC it looks like garbage. I think we should either just get close with the red wing pieces or make it all white and do a custom decal set that includes those.

-We need to find a better way to attach the rear engines than the 3794. It just destroys the look. I know that you said the rear is a wip though.

Let me know how I can help! E.g. if there's something you want me to experiment with on the actual model or any LDD work or whatever.

I think it's looking great! I really respect your idea of taking an excellent model (Inthert's) and going to the next level with it. I like your approach of using the plan views as a gut check. I really think this model has the potential of becoming one of the most accurate minifig scale-ish X-Wings of all time. Lets keep working it.

I'm wondering if we should split the effort off of Inthert's main thread so as to not take away from his original design?

Thanks for the compliment. I think you're right, this MOC has the potential to be very close to the real (fake) thing scale wise, but we shall see. I had already asked Inthert if he was ok with ideas polluting his thread, and he seemed to be cool with it. As far as I'm concerned, it's still 100% his design because I didn't really created anything new.

But Inthert, if you want me to open a separate topic, please do tell.

-Love the added greeblings behind R2

Well, the greebling behind R2 is straight from the vanilla T-65. But there is extra space and though I did what I could to fill the void, I really need help on this one.

-Had no idea that a "mini" R2 could be created. That solves a lot of things.

I think so too. I think its height is also more accurate (I didn't check but I will), but it looks a bit chubby. As I said, as long as it stays in the x-wing, all is well.

-It would be interested to see how this model compares to your plan view again. On that note have you had a chance to compare the side profiles? From my memory I believe the bulge underneath just behind the canopy is more prominent. I could be totally wrong though.

I'll definitely do that, just not today. I'm a bit reluctant to play the the bulge underneath though. If you wish to have a go at it, please do so.

-I wonder now that you've killed the landing gear in the rear if it makes sense to kill the one up front? This would give ample room to create additional support structure for the nose. Just a thought as it looks like you are transitioning to more of a display model rather than a play toy with some of your decisions (which I'm totally cool with)

You know what? I hadn't even realized. :-p

Do you think we could bring it back somehow? If we can't, I guess the front one is useless. I aim at a display model yes, but I'd like it to be fully functionnal. But the landing gears would be an acceptable sacrifice for 4x4 engines I guess.

-I'm not a fan of trying to duplicate the red markings on the wings with the 1x2 tiles. Even on the much larger USC it looks like garbage. I think we should either just get close with the red wing pieces or make it all white and do a custom decal set that includes those.

Duly noted. Do you mind if I keep on trying to make it look better? I tried a red and yellow pattern in the new LDD file below. I'm confident you won't like that one either though.

-We need to find a better way to attach the rear engines than the 3794. It just destroys the look. I know that you said the rear is a wip though.

It was just a quick way to attach the engines, I wouldn't dream of building it that way. :-)

I'm sure something nice can be done. In the meantime I have removed the thrusters.

Let me know how I can help! E.g. if there's something you want me to experiment with on the actual model or any LDD work or whatever.

Let's put it another way. What do you want to do? I think it would be really cool if a joint effort could make this outstanding MOC even better. To be honest, my time playing may come to an end during the next couple of months (there will be a contest in my trade and I intend to do my best to win... I could use the advertisement if I ever decide to look for a new position). So help is definitely most welcome.

As long as there are only the two of us, we don't really need any kind of organisation I think. Maybe you could use your own color to make modifications?

We need someone to keep an "official" latest version though, so we can keep track of the changes. I can do that for now.

Here is my latest file. Is there a way to share something bigger than 100 ko? It's close to the limit as it is...

- I changed the dimensions of the wings (1 extra stud in the direction along the body)

- the size of the engines is now what I had in mind, but I'll check the scale

- I modified the rear hinges of the wings (I ran into problems due to the engines size). I'm not 100% ok with this (you can take the wings apart easily because I grouped them separately). The parts I'm not happy with are the only blue bricks in the wings

- I also worked on the slopes. The roof like aspect at the rear of the wings is intentional. The one near the turbine is not. I could stack the wedges instead but I don't like how it looks. But I have an idea involving hinges. We shall see. I'm relatively happy with the global aspect of the wings though, but again I'll have to check the scale.

EDIT: file deleted. A new topic will be dedicated to a modified Inthert T-65 if there is enough interest.

Still to be done:

- improve wings (better hinges, better slopes, better color pattern) --> GRAY_MOUSER

- tweak cannons (since I modified the sizes of the wings, they don't quite fit anymore)

- check how the moc look from the side --> GRAY_MOUSER

- modify underbelly

- improve canopy

- improve cockpit (pipes?)

- bring back landing gears at the rear OR get rid of the front one to improve the nose

- design proper greebling on top of the body

- design greebling from the engines (it will be seen from below when the wings are opened). This should probably not be done before the wings are closer to their final form. Right now the slopes take too much room in the cylinders

- find a proper way to attach the thrusters to the engines

- others..?

I tagged two items with my name in the list above so that we don't do the same thing (it would be a waste of time, but feel free to do what you want). If you're ok working that way, maybe you could tag items with your name too? And of course you can add tasks.

I don't have time to read over my message, so I apologize in advance for my sloppy English.

Again Inthert, please let us know if you resent us doing this.

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Again Inthert, please let us know if you resent us doing this.

Don't resent you at all :) I'm just flattered you've both chosen my design as a starting point, I'm really looking forward to seeing the final result.

I don't mind you using the topic at all, it is still an X-wing after all. I just wonder if its worth making a clearer distinction between the mod and the moc if you see what I mean. I'm not sure there's an easy way to do that without stopping the conversation here and carrying on in a different thread which seems kinda pointless. So unless you have any ideas regarding a 'clean' way to make a new topic, I'd say just carry on as you are :)

As a side note, I'd like to say I'm more than happy to test out anything in real bricks or answer any questions regarding the original model if you like.

I just wonder if its worth making a clearer distinction between the mod and the moc if you see what I mean. I'm not sure there's an easy way to do that without stopping the conversation here and carrying on in a different thread which seems kinda pointless. So unless you have any ideas regarding a 'clean' way to make a new topic, I'd say just carry on as you are :)

Yeah, I gotcha. I'll wait and see if modding your moc raises enough interest. If yes, then I'll open a dedicated topic. It should be easy enough; I'll explain what the starting point is (with a link to this topic), give credit, what changes have been made to your design already, and what remains to be done.

I won't post any LDD of your modified MOC in this topic (and I removed the previous ones). I finished to update the LDD of your MOC though, and it is back in one of my previous message.

Just a few words about my current efforts before the dedicated topic, if it ever gets created:

- The scale as seen from above is pretty much what I want it to be (maybe the slopes, the wingspan and the cannons are not quite right, but adding one stud should do the trick)

- The side view is what I struggle with these days. I increased the height of the body (notice how R2 is now at the right height in the picture below). However I feel that the "dent" at the bottom of the canopy is too low. I can elevate the whole cockpit easily enough, but it messes up with the angles of the canopy and / or the nose.

29198079126_550c6b1741_o.jpg

29232176155_5095333c2c_b.jpg

Having a way to measure the real angles would help a lot, but I haven't been able to find good references (there are plenty of pictures, but the perspective makes it difficult to evaluate the angles). If you happen to have some good links, it would be appreciated. These are the best I could find:

kr_Xwing_side_left.JPG

The angle of the nose seems to be smaller. But if I do that in LDD, I'll have to increase the length of the nose significantly, which wouldn't look right from above. Without better measurements, I'm stuck.

Edited by Gray_Mouser

The drooping problem I mentioned.

Thanks for posting this.

It looks to me like the 1x1 plate with clip (4085) hasn't got enough clutch power on its stud to keep itself pointing downwards, which is essential for the nose to remain 'droop-less' :P

You might need to try a few different 4085's (or the pieces its connected to) to find a connection with more grip. Also thinking about it, having the white 1x1 tiles on the very end of the 12x3 wedge plates might help provide more friction in that area too.

Hope that all helps :)

Edited by Inthert

Hi inthert I am making the T-70 and it's almost done! i gotta say it's hard not to run around making x wing sounds. It's an awesome model. one problem I have is I built it in light gray.  it was not until later I saw there is no  Wedge 4 x 4 x 2/3 Triple Curved in light gray haha. any suggestion for a replacement? i will post some pics soon!

10 hours ago, olympicknight12 said:

Hi inthert I am making the T-70 and it's almost done! i gotta say it's hard not to run around making x wing sounds. It's an awesome model. one problem I have is I built it in light gray.  it was not until later I saw there is no  Wedge 4 x 4 x 2/3 Triple Curved in light gray haha. any suggestion for a replacement? i will post some pics soon!

Nice! Thanks for the enthusiasm, it's okay I do nothing but make X-wing sounds when holding it :D Yeah, when I made the instructions I didn't know that part wasn't available :/ My only suggestion would be to look at the solutions on this thread:

There someone kindly recreated my model digitally (in light grey) and found probably the best alternative for that part. Hope that helps, looking forward to seeing those pictures!

Well, I've been busy! You may remember I posted a picture sometime ago, indicating I was experimenting with a 4-wide engine solution rather than 3. One thing has led to another and I'm happy to now present my new and improved X-wing design. Almost every area has been changed in someway and I think it's for the best ;)

29763153924_f20aa27909_b.jpgT-65 X-wing: V2 (1) by Inthert, on Flickr

29763154804_63d00412b5_b.jpgT-65 X-wing: V2 (2) by Inthert, on Flickr

Oh yes, there's removable panels too.

29763153984_909d9196ef_b.jpgT-65 X-wing: V2 (cross-section 1) by Inthert, on Flickr

Let me know what you think! As ever more photos are available on Flickr.

Wow.  Just wow!  This is certainly one of the best X-Wings, if not the best that I have seen, not to mention that it is minifig-scale!  I love the windscreen design.