Inthert

[MOC] Incom T-65 X-wing

Did you try canopy from Poe Dameron's X-Wing ?

I didn't no, but that's completely down to me not owning the set as opposed to not wanting to try it :). However, I doubt it would work without serious modification, seeing as that piece is 4 studs wide and my fuselage design only 3 studs wide at the most ;)

Edited by Inthert

I meticulously recreated it the best I could in LDD but had a dozen or so mates I just couldn't get to work. Looks like Gary_Mouser had more success that I did. Good job! Fortunately I got far enough to order bricks and hope to have a physical representation soon.

Attached is my LDD attempt. I made a few alterations based upon the studio scale Red 5. Still a work in progress.

I didn't really have more success... I cheated where it mattered. In order to get the center part attached and properly aligned, I had to remove some 1x1 round plates (there are 4 stacks of 2 such plates behind the pilot's seat).

Thank you for your file. I see there are some discrepancies with mine. You used 6134 in the front part whereas I used 61409. This was ambiguous from the pictures... I tried the same part as you did, but I couldn't get the right angles because of it, without knowing if it was a flaw in the design, or because of LDD. Now I see that maybe that part is necessary to get a sturdy model.

I'll add this part to my bricklist. I won't add much cost, but it may make a big difference.

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Nice MOC! A lovely representation of a classic X-Wing in white color scheme. I personally think that your version is superior to psiaki's which became some sort of golden standard (correct me if I'm wrong). Looking forward to future updates! :wink:

blbills, I've taken another look at your file, and I think the reason you can't attach the cockpit to the body is because the part behind the pilot should sit one stub lower. There is one 1x1 round tile too many actually. If you compare steps 16 and 20 from Inthert's instructions, you may notice the discrepancy.

And I definitely made the following mistakes:

- in the part in front of the cockpit, 3937 (x2) and 6134 (x2) should be above the black hinge, and not 3023 (x2) and 61409 (x2). Good luck closing the sides of the nose in LDD with these though.

- behind the seat, there should be 2432 & 23969 and not 23969 & 3004 (this brick can help you align the cockpit though, providing you don't forget to replace it by the proper part later). This part of the MOC is a nice touch by the way.

- I forgot to say earlier that 48729 (x2) behind the pilot's seat should be replaced by 2 minifig's hands, but this part doesn't exist in LDD

- the bricks at the center of the wings (which allows them to fold) should be 47905, 6541 and 4733 and not 47905 (well, this one is correct), 4070 and 87087

- for some reasons I had added a 87994 bar inside the bricks I mentioned above... Please get rid of it.

I wish we could have pooled our efforts earlier :-)

Ah, and Inthert, I've seen your tie fighter... I was about to say I still like Jerac's version best, but looking at it again, I'm not so sure. From a casual glance his version looks better but it doesn't have an interior... And I'm very unhappy with the thruster whereas yours seems very good. From my very limited experience, the lure of these lego models are the small details. So I don't know...

You know what? Don't post the instructions for your tie, and I'll be fine :-)

EDIT: F*ck that, please post them if you were planning to do so. I'd love to see how fun it is to build, even in LDD.

At least it will be easier to resist your Falcon, as my girlfriend have already bought the latest set... That's how I got into this mess actually. At first I grumbled a bit because I felt it was just an overpriced dust trap, but I've got to say it looks great sitting in the lower part of our glass coffee table.

Hopefully after I'm done with the x-wing and the tie (be it your version or another, no pressure), and possibly some mods for the Falcon, I'll be able to stop :-/

Edited by Gray_Mouser

There is one 1x1 round tile too many actually. If you compare steps 16 and 20 from Inthert's instructions, you may notice the discrepancy.

Ah, and Inthert, I've seen your tie fighter... I was about to say I still like Jerac's version best, but looking at it again, I'm not so sure. From a casual glance his version looks better but it doesn't have an interior... And I'm very unhappy with the thruster whereas yours seems very good. From my very limited experience, the lure of these lego models are the small details. So I don't know...

Please post them if you were planning to do so. I'd love to see how fun it is to build, even in LDD.

At least it will be easier to resist your Falcon, as my girlfriend have already bought the latest set.

Hopefully after I'm done with the x-wing and the tie (be it your version or another, no pressure), and possibly some mods for the Falcon, I'll be able to stop :-/

I've added some notes to the appropriate steps on my Flickr instructions, hopefully anyone else making it won't be confused. Thanks for letting me know :)

Parts 3937 and 6134 are indeed essential for the stability of the nose, I wonder if its worth editing your file so those parts just sit out side the model (just as you did with a few other parts that didn't fit for whatever reason) at least then they would be included in a parts list. :)

EDIT: Just realised you said you would do that, ignore the above sentence.

Ah yes, the small storage compartment behind the seat! I was quite pleased with that detail myself ;) I deliberately didn't take any pictures of that area so that anyone recreating my model would have that detail as a surprise :D

Jerac's version is indeed a sight to behold, its just a shame it can't fit a fig, seems perfect otherwise. I think mine looks more Lego-like (if that makes sense) so I guess it depends what look you want :) l wasn't planning on posting full blown instructions for my TIE fighter, but some basic breakdown shots might be possible (in a similar way to how I did the engines on the T-70) if that's okay?

The falcon on the other hand, I seriously doubt I'll do any kind of breakdown shots of that (except from small areas like the cockpit I've already done). So I guess even less temptation there :P

In any case, it sounds like you'll have a nice display by the end of all this!

Nice MOC! A lovely representation of a classic X-Wing in white color scheme. I personally think that your version is superior to psiaki's which became some sort of golden standard (correct me if I'm wrong). Looking forward to future updates! :wink:

Thank you so much! Yes his one was the one to beat, you saying mine is superior really does mean a lot ;D

Edited by Inthert

I've updated the lxf file in my previous post. For those who had dowloaded it already, please delete the old one. Sorry if you made mistakes because of me. I have added my name to the file for reference (because I'm not the only one who uploaded one), but I don't mean to claim any kind of credit.

l wasn't planning on posting full blown instructions for my TIE fighter, but some basic breakdown shots might be possible (in a similar way to how I did the engines on the T-70) if that's okay?

The falcon on the other hand, I seriously doubt I'll do any kind of breakdown shots of that (except from small areas like the cockpit I've already done). So I guess even less temptation there :P

Making these instructions is a lot a work. I was not requesting anything... For the tie fighter I'll be grateful for whatever you were planning to publish (if anything). If I can make a LDD file out of your shots I may choose to offer your tie instead of Jerac's. And if not... not :-)

Instructions for the Falcon are clearly out of the question though... It's much too big. As I said, I already have one at home... So I can easily make a LDD file and try to recreate some of your ideas for it. That's what I had in mind.

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Inthert,

I was aware of the mudguard dilemma on the T-70. I was going to use the flat silver ones that come in the new T-70 Lego kit. They are pretty close and contrast well with the dark grey that will be used for the "inside" of the engine.

I will be sure to keep you updated on my progress with both the T-65 and the T-70. It's really killing me actually. I'm on vacation through the end of the week and I know all my BrickLink orders are piling up in my mailbox while I'm gone! I want to be home building!

Gary_Mouser,

Thanks for combing over my LDD file. I'm not going to admit how many hours I meticulously analyzed Inthert's tear down pictures to put that model together. Good eye on the additional 1x1 round plate and also using a 3004 temporary to align the center section with the rest of the vehicle. I'd be curious on your technique to adding the cheese slices to the front of the nose without being able to use Inthert's hand trick.

I've updated the lxf file in my previous post.

Making these instructions is a lot a work. I was not requesting anything... For the tie fighter I'll be grateful for whatever you were planning to publish (if anything). If I can make a LDD file out of your shots I may choose to offer your tie instead of Jerac's. And if not... not :-)

Instructions for the Falcon are clearly out of the question though... It's much too big. As I said, I already have one at home... So I can easily make a LDD file and try to recreate some of your ideas for it. That's what I had in mind.

Thanks for updating it. :)

Yeah, its time consuming more than anything else, to get each step photographed correctly and to get a coherent order of steps takes time. But its all worth it when people such as yourself and blbills take the time to recreate it :D So maybe you'll be seeing some TIE fighter ones ;)

Probably the best way to go with the falcon, scratch-building a model of that size and with the part density would get expensive very quickly :/

Inthert,

I was aware of the mudguard dilemma on the T-70. I was going to use the flat silver ones that come in the new T-70 Lego kit. They are pretty close and contrast well with the dark grey that will be used for the "inside" of the engine.

I will be sure to keep you updated on my progress with both the T-65 and the T-70. It's really killing me actually. I'm on vacation through the end of the week and I know all my BrickLink orders are piling up in my mailbox while I'm gone! I want to be home building!

Flat silver is a good call, I forget how similar the two colours can look when integrated together.

Can't wait to see a grey version, its something I'm hoping to do my self one day, that and a reconnaissance T-65 :)

I hope my model will be worth the wait, just enjoy your vacation! :D

Gary_Mouser,

Thanks for combing over my LDD file. I'm not going to admit how many hours I meticulously analyzed Inthert's tear down pictures to put that model together. Good eye on the additional 1x1 round plate and also using a 3004 temporary to align the center section with the rest of the vehicle. I'd be curious on your technique to adding the cheese slices to the front of the nose without being able to use Inthert's hand trick.

Don't mention it, I also did it to correct mine (and there were indeed major mistakes). I can probably guess how many hours you spent. :-) But I liked doing it actually, it was like a puzzle.

The cheese slices in the nose in my file are not connected. They just happen to "float in the air" at the correct location (I did say I cheated in my file, didn't I?).

Man i saw this over at Flickr and it's amazing ! Love how everything it's brick build,altho i think the greeble section behind R2 should be 2 studs wide (mainly cuz mine is lol) but man i love it.

It's also nice to finally see you here on eurobricks !!

Man i saw this over at Flickr and it's amazing ! Love how everything it's brick build,altho i think the greeble section behind R2 should be 2 studs wide (mainly cuz mine is lol) but man i love it.

It's also nice to finally see you here on eurobricks !!

Thanks, I went back and forth with the greeble section, I ended up going with this soloution because it seemed to line up with R2 just a little better IMO ;)

Yep finally on Eurobricks :D

I worked a little on the canopy. I wanted a real flat top part, I wanted the rear part to be fixed, and I wanted it to look stable enough (this is a spacecraft after all).

I'm relatively happy with the following solution. Pity lipsticks are so rare (and so not available in light bluish grey) because the shape was exactly what I needed . But I can use a nozzle or a screwdriver instead.

I had to make minor modifications to bricks around the cockpit, and the grey slope should start closer to the pilot, but this is as good as I can make it. I think I'm gonna go with that one.

post-164095-0-56766400-1471131543_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Maybe I should stop polluting Inthert's thread...

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Maybe I should stop polluting Inthert's thread...

With ingenuic ideas? Have you seen this topic here?

Anyway, I like your design for the cockpit with use of the lunchbox piece—a spectacular way to fashion a brick built cockpit!

I've taken a look at the topic about the T-70. Impressive collaborative work. Pity that the roof tile that was used for its canopy won't work on the T-65. Or so I feel, because the hinge must be above the pilot's head, and the area behind the pilot's head is supposed to be empty.

I've found another solution though. I think it looks marginally better but I doubt the canopy will open easily. But at least the slope roughly starts where I want it to. Moreover it's "transparent", as it should be, thanks to the use of the lunchbox (is that an accepted name for this brick?).

And I've added pipes in the cockpit (I think a flex tube would look better, but LDD won't let me flex it as much as I'm sure it can). Because there should be some:

hoth_space10.jpg

So, here is the new canopy I suggest:

post-164095-0-78196400-1471147245_thumb.jpg

Inthert, you build a very nice looking model!

At a first glance I thought "why on earth should someone just post images of the official Lego Set" :)

I've found another solution though. I think it looks marginally better but I doubt the canopy will open easily. But at least the slope roughly starts where I want it to. Moreover it's "transparent", as it should be, thanks to the use of the lunchbox…

I prefer the previous version, as it appears shallower, since it is flatter, but I believe this one is more accurate, and this cockpit is a plus if it opens easier!

(is that an accepted name for this brick?).

That is what it closely resembles in my opinion (a better name than modified tile with handle) :classic:, and I think Lego used it as such for some of their older City sets.

I prefer the previous version, as it appears shallower, since it is flatter, but I believe this one is more accurate, and this cockpit is a plus if it opens easier!

Thanks for your input. Sometimes, when one gets a "clever" idea, it can be difficult to let it go :-)

After some research and measurements, I now think 3x3 engines are too small. Maybe 4x4 is a tad too big, but I think it's closer.

x-wing-sized.jpg

Sooooooo... I'm now toying with the engines (and its slopes). First, I thought the way to go was to use jet engines (43121). But there was no way to attach them without redesigning pretty much everything. So, no, thank you.

But then I realized that I could use half cylinders and a turbine (41531) or even a round 4x4 plate (11833) at the front. The nice thing about these parts is that neither the wings nor the body need to be heavily modified in order to fit them.

And as an added bonus, roof tiles (60477) fit *just* underneath the half cylinder, so that their flat parts are hidden. As a result, the slope looks smooth, and there is no gap. I think 60477 is just the right size, but 4286 can be used as well. And in both cases, Inthert's trick can be used to make to slope protrude from the wing, and it lines up perfectly. Nice.

There are still problems though:

- the wings need to be lenghtened by 1/2 a stud at the center (otherwise the engines won't fit since they are bigger). I can do it with jumpers (obvisouly), but I worry the stress on these bricks will be too much and the build will not be sturdy enough

- The half cylinder I use is a tad too long (85941). As a result, I didn't find a good way to attach it. For the moment it is only held by the front round plate, which is in turn only held by 2 studs. Not good. Furthermore, a turbine would look so much sleeker than a round plate, but it's even longer. I think I will have to replace the long 1/2 cylinder by 2 shorter ones. This will give me options, but it will screw the beautiful slopes up. Argh.

post-164095-0-17670700-1471232369_thumb.jpg

The blue part (99206) is what holds the front plate. And this is placed correctly thanks to the yellow part (15573). Yeah... I know.

Any ideas?

Inthert, you build a very nice looking model!

At a first glance I thought "why on earth should someone just post images of the official Lego Set" :)

That's a real compliment. Thank you!

After some research and measurements, I now think 3x3 engines are too small. Maybe 4x4 is a tad too big, but I think it's closer.

First, I thought the way to go was to use jet engines (43121). But there was no way to attach them without redesigning pretty much everything. So, no, thank you.

The blue part (99206) is what holds the front plate. And this is placed correctly thanks to the yellow part (15573). Yeah... I know.

Any ideas?

Firstly, great cockpit MOD! The tubes on the interior was something I really wanted to include but could think of a good way of doing it, you seem to have achieved them and the flat top really well on both versions :) I think its just a case of which one you like more.

And secondly: 4 wide engines, what a coincidence! I myself was wondering about using them for a few weeks, guess you beat me to uploading an idea though ;) Here's what I have so far:

28996677615_1555945a85.jpg4 wide engines?! by Inthert, on Flickr

It's little more than an idea at the moment but I'll be interested to know what you (and anyone else!) thinks. EDIT: Be sure to check out the description on Flickr too, I went into more detail there than I did here :)

But back to your WIP solution, it looks good so far, stability will defiantly be a problem as it stands, but you seem to be ready to modify it so that's not a real issue :) I think using the shorter half cylinder part (as I have/will do) would be the better option, if you look at 'real' x wings, the main engine tube doesn't run the whole length of the wing, so a stubbier look is needed IMO. But as for a viable connection to the rest of the wing, I'm not so sure, that's something I need to pin down on my own idea! however, if I think of anything I'll let you know :D As I say, yours looks great so far!

Edited by Inthert

Interior greebling, yes! It will be visible when the wings are opened thanks to the half cylinder. And also through the turbine. I wanted to do it too but reckoned I had to solve the stability issues first. And I lack the skill to do it properly anyway.

With the shorter half cylinders, because the 2 of them put together are still shorter than the longer one, you can use a 87081 4x4 round brick to hold them, and then use an axle to hold the brick. That's what I'm gonna try anyway.

I thought I had read on your Flickr gallery that you prefered 3x3 engines... Had I known you would attempt it with 4x4, I wouldn't have bothered. I hope you don't mind my posting of my own ideas in your topic. :-/

I like your latest picture by the way. Nice staging. :-)

I don't like the use of a different shade of gray for the barrels though (but the light gray ones are frigging expensive). But maybe you can make them look good, we'll see.

About the pipes, there is nothing to it. Actually since I had to get rid of the taps in front of R2-D2 in order to fit the modified canopy, I replaced them with lamp holders and attached the pipes to them (and I attached the other ends to the interior of the spacecraft, through the gaps at the rear of the cockpit). Sadly I also had to remove the gray hinges too (because of the modified canopy). Anyway, I'm sure you could do it better.

EDIT: Thank you for the extra shots of your Tie Figher! I had actually begun to replicate it. If I may, I think that the pilot should sit lower so that his eyes are level with the window. Easier said than done I know. Maybe it's not worth it.

I have a question about this one... How did you manage to attach the brick that holds the hatch? When I attempt it, it is either too low or too high, so that the hatch doesn't work properly.

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Interior greebling, yes! It will be visible when the wings are opened thanks to the half cylinder. And also through the turbine. I wanted to do it too but reckoned I had to solve the stability issues first. And I lack the skill to do it properly anyway.

With the shorter half cylinders, because the 2 of them put together are still shorter than the longer one, you can use a 87081 4x4 round brick to hold them, and then use an axle to hold the brick. That's what I'm gonna try anyway.

I thought I had read on your Flickr gallery that you prefered 3x3 engines... Had I known you would attempt it with 4x4, I wouldn't have bothered. I hope you don't mind my posting of my own ideas in your topic. :-/

I like your latest picture by the way. Nice staging. :-)

I don't like the use of a different shade of gray for the barrels though (but the light gray ones are frigging expensive). But maybe you can make them look good, we'll see.

About the pipes, there is nothing to it. Actually since I had to get rid of the taps in front of R2-D2 in order to fit the modified canopy, I replaced them with lamp holders and attached the pipes to them (and I attached the other ends to the interior of the spacecraft, through the gaps at the rear of the cockpit). Sadly I also had to remove the gray hinges too (because of the modified canopy). Anyway, I'm sure you could do it better.

EDIT: Thank you for the extra shots of your Tie Figher! I had actually begun to replicate it. If I may, I think that the pilot should sit lower so that his eyes are level with the window. Easier said than done I know. Maybe it's not worth it.

I have a question about this one... How did you manage to attach the brick that holds the hatch? When I attempt it, it is either too low or too high, so that the hatch doesn't work properly.

Yeah, I'm quite enjoying seeing how much engine detail I can get in under the 2x4x4 cylinder piece :D hopefully it'll look the part, if I decide to modify my physical X-wing. Talking of cylinder pieces, I'm not sure which ones you think I'm talking about? :\ I'm using part 6259, a half cylinder piece. I only ask because two of them certainly aren't shorter than the one your using, I think there might have been a misunderstanding here :)

Yes, I did say I preferred ones. Although I think I also said I might change my mind some day (I didn't expect 'some day' to be two moths later though! :P). I don't mind you posting your ideas at all! :D Its really interesting to see people pick up on areas of my model that could be better and improve it and then be happy to discuss it afterwards. So keep it up ;)

Thanks, I had a lot of fun throwing together some droids and machinery, glad you like it! The rear engine section was hastily made too, I just grabbed the bricks that were nearest. I'm not completely sold on the change in colour ether. Although I do like shape of the barrel and the resemblance it bares to the X-wings thrusters. It's just a shame (as you said) that that part is crazy expensive in light grey :(

Ah I see, well the pipes look good in any case :D. It is a pity the grey outline part had to be taken out though, I don't know about LDD but in the physical model that detail does complete the look of the canopy IMO :)

No problem about the TIE, a number of people were curious about the interior so I was more than happy to take those :)

EDIT: I've now made a TIE fighter topic, so we can discuss it there if you wish :D : http://www.eurobrick...opic=138913&hl=

TIE Cockpit.lxf

Edited by Inthert

Yes, there is a slight misunderstanding:

- I used 85941 (1/2 cylinder) + a round tile to cap it off

- you suggest 20430 (aka 6259) + a turbine (presumably). This combination is a tad longer than the one I used, and I feel it was a bit too long already.

- I'm currently playing with 24593 which is indeed much shorter. I'm trying to use one of these in combination with a turbine (because it looks so good) and 87081 (round brick). This combination is shorter (one stud shorter than the 3x3 engine actually, but round plates can be added to fine tune the length). The nice thing is that the 1/2 cylinder can be attached to the brick. And an axle can run from the brick to the turbine.

I may have found a way to fix the slope with hinges. We'll see.

About the canopy, I agree the gray hinge was a nice outline. But I needed room to attach the hook that holds the vertical "post". But I'm so not done with the canopy. :-)

Yes, there is a slight misunderstanding:

- I used 85941 (1/2 cylinder) + a round tile to cap it off

- you suggest 20430 (aka 6259) + a turbine (presumably). This combination is a tad longer than the one I used, and I feel it was a bit too long already.

- I'm currently playing with 24593 which is indeed much shorter. I'm trying to use one of these in combination with a turbine (because it looks so good) and 87081 (round brick). This combination is shorter (one stud shorter than the 3x3 engine actually, but round plates can be added to fine tune the length). The nice thing is that the 1/2 cylinder can be attached to the brick. And an axle can run from the brick to the turbine.

I may have found a way to fix the slope with hinges. We'll see.

About the canopy, I agree the gray hinge was a nice outline. But I needed room to attach the hook that holds the vertical "post". But I'm so not done with the canopy. :-)

Ah I see, I got confused about which parts you were intending to use. Your solution sounds promising :)

I think my solution will indeed be too long but maybe with the rest of the ship around it will look better?...we'll see I guess.

I didn't even know part 24593 existed, or at least I forgot it existed, it seems (so far) its only available in... purple :D Until its available in white I think I'll steer clear of that solution ;)

I look forward to more updates form you though :D

About the canopy, seems to be a reasonable compromise to get a more accurate flat top.

I didn't even know part 24593 existed, or at least I forgot it existed, it seems (so far) its only available in... purple :D Until its available in white I think I'll steer clear of that solution ;)

G*dd*mm*t! Thanks for pointing it out. Back to square one then: how do I attach 6259? Well, it wouldn't be much fun if it was easy, huh?

About the canopy, seems to be a reasonable compromise to get a more accurate flat top.

I'm not big on compromises, unless it can't be avoided. But we shall see.

EDIT: 20430 + turbine seems to work quite well, providing you don't mind the front of the engine to reach Artoo. It might even be more accurate. Good eye!

Edited by Gray_Mouser

G*dd*mm*t! Thanks for pointing it out. Back to square one then: how do I attach 6259? Well, it wouldn't be much fun if it was easy, huh?

I'm not big on compromises, unless it can't be avoided. But we shall see.

EDIT: 20430 + turbine seems to work quite well, providing you don't mind the front of the engine to reach Artoo. It might even be more accurate. Good eye!

I did wonder if you knew about it only being available in white, its the sort of part that I feel is likely to be made in white eventually though, we'll see :) However, I now wonder what a purple themed X-wing would look like!, I seem to remember seeing one in a comic book somewhere...

Well sometimes I fear it is unavoidable, but with discussions such as the one we're having, compromises can sometimes just be a temporary solution while someone thinks of something better :)

I have to say I think 20430 + turbines is the best option so far (even if I do say so myself) but who knows, there's undoubtedly more than one way to achieve 4x4 engines :)

Edited by Inthert