Capn Frank

Pirates of the Carribean 5 Sets Discussion

No ship has been sent in Germany yet. I have chatted with the support and the told me that the rush was too big and therefore there are delivery difficulties :( 
I hope LEGO and Disney will release more sets. This is a very popular topic, even for women like I've noticed

9 minutes ago, Florian_Wayne said:

No ship has been sent in Germany yet. I have chatted with the support and the told me that the rush was too big and therefore there are delivery difficulties :(

Ordered mine Friday morning, think around 6am. I called up customer support this morning as my payment had not been taken and it was still 'In processing'. They were kind enough to chase things up, one of them even mentioned how they had a Silent Mary in their office on display and we chatted a bit, they seem to like the ship :P If lucky it may arrive this week.

On the bright side, if there is such a large demand then perhaps it will convince Lego that Pirates is a viable theme - or even encourage them to continue the POTC license.

Is anyone selling the sails yet? I want to get a couple more, not a full set. The masts in the movie have three tiers of sails, so I'm going to try to modify the ship to include that. 

1 hour ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Is anyone selling the sails yet? I want to get a couple more, not a full set. The masts in the movie have three tiers of sails, so I'm going to try to modify the ship to include that. 

We most likely will be putting the sails up fairly soon. Brick Link inventory hasn't been updated for this set yet, and I don't want to do it, lol. 

2 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

We most likely will be putting the sails up fairly soon. Brick Link inventory hasn't been updated for this set yet, and I don't want to do it, lol. 

Okay, thanks. I'll check your store in a few days then! 

Bricklink inventories can take some time. There are a number of this year's Ninjago sets that haven't had inventory lists made out. Adding new parts to the listings often requires having the parts photographed individually. I counsel patience.

Those complaining about the scale of the doors:

32711184984_06ceef39f1_c.jpg

This is the Batavia, a 17th century VOC-vessel. Doors are very tiny (people used to be smaller).

@Maxim I there is also the fact that there are stairs right behind these doors leading down. Below deck (at least in that area) is still some headroom left. The same applies to the doors in the stern area. 

In terms of the Lego Silent Mary the ship itself is not in-scale with the figures and its not actually a complete replica, it's missing an entire back segment and several other aspects (including an entire layer of the ship which would have included more guns). I can see both sides of things personally - but in regards to the ship, they are in-scale with the rest of the scaled down design.

5 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Those complaining about the scale of the doors:

32711184984_06ceef39f1_c.jpg

This is the Batavia, a 17th century VOC-vessel. Doors are very tiny (people used to be smaller).

Every door in the Silent Mary version that they built was human sized for actors that were roughly , the only doors not built were the front one's however the real life scale of the rest of the ship coupled with the size/scale of the turrets implies that the front doors would also be human sized. Lego chose to represent doors from the middle and doors from the front using the same scale, which also implies that they would be the same size.
xSHWKDL.jpg

In total the vessel has eight doors, here is a very basic layout;
gJNk4ti.png

List of doors (From left to right)
- Two at the front (Replicated on the Lego ship smaller)
- Two in the middle of the ship built towards the front (Missing from the Lego Ship)
- Two in the middle of the ship built towards the back (Replicated on the Lego ship smaller)
- Two at the back of the ship behind the wheel (Missing from the Lego ship)

16 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

In terms of the Lego Silent Mary the ship itself is not in-scale with the figures and its not actually a complete replica, it's missing an entire back segment and several other aspects (including an entire layer of the ship which would have included more guns). I can see both sides of things personally - but in regards to the ship, they are in-scale with the rest of the scaled down design.

Every door in the Silent Mary version that they built was human sized for actors that were roughly , the only doors not built were the front one's however the real life scale of the rest of the ship coupled with the size/scale of the turrets implies that the front doors would also be human sized. Lego chose to represent doors from the middle and doors from the front using the same scale, which also implies that they would be the same size.
xSHWKDL.jpg

In total the vessel has eight doors, here is a very basic layout;
gJNk4ti.png

List of doors (From left to right)
- Two at the front (Replicated on the Lego ship smaller)
- Two in the middle of the ship built towards the front (Missing from the Lego Ship)
- Two in the middle of the ship built towards the back (Replicated on the Lego ship smaller)
- Two at the back of the ship behind the wheel (Missing from the Lego ship)

Well, good luck building a lego vessel with minifig scale doors, 3 decks (all minifig height, just like in the movie) and all the other stuff...

I fear the result will be kinda disappointing

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Well, good luck building a lego vessel with minifig scale doors, 3 decks (all minifig height, just like in the movie) and all the other stuff...

Was just mentioning in regards to the concerns people have about the scale of the doors - honestly a basic mod to this ship would just be removing some of the out-of-scale aspects such as the wheel and having the additional door pieces added of the same scale currently used. Could probably use micro-figures or statues and the ship would be fairly in-scale with the micro figures (other than the lack of a lower deck and part of the back segment)

It's like the Helicarrier in that respect, it's not really meant to be shown with the figures on the vessel.

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

I fear the result will be kinda disappointing

Expectations rarely can be matched, so the work i and others are doing into their own various modifications to the Silent Mary may not meet them. Personally this is the first Pirate ship build i have attempted and with no other work of mine as a refrence i could understand potential concerns. I have certain criteria i want my version to match and that may not be accurate entirely to the original vessel (such as a lack of certain colours for piece being made by Lego). Though i hope people will like the finished version.

One thing that hit me is, I assume the main mast of the Silent Mary broke in the explosion when the ship was destroyed. Judging by Jack's apparent age in the flashback, it was quite long ago and I suppose the ship and crew were all trapped inside that cave in the Devil's Triangle until some point shortly before the events in the movie.
It's pretty much a heavily damaged ghost ship in its current state, and a ghost ship is probably not at all affected by the weather like "real" ships, but nevertheless I would think removing the broken mast instead of having it hanging down over the railing would be a good idea, unless ghost ships always remain how they were when they were destroyed or something.

I also wonder, has it been said where the Devil's Triangle is supposed to be? I'm wondering if it could be in the Bermuda triangle, or if it's the same thing in the movie.

1 hour ago, Error404 said:

One thing that hit me is, I assume the main mast of the Silent Mary broke in the explosion when the ship was destroyed. Judging by Jack's apparent age in the flashback, it was quite long ago and I suppose the ship and crew were all trapped inside that cave in the Devil's Triangle until some point shortly before the events in the movie.

I believe that the ghosts are the state they were at a specific point during the destruction of the Silent Mary, as we see the magical stuff reach Salazar while he is drowning - so they were probably transporting something cursed. The ship reflects this as do the people. Salazar is in a constant physical state of drowning.

1 hour ago, Error404 said:

I also wonder, has it been said where the Devil's Triangle is supposed to be? I'm wondering if it could be in the Bermuda triangle, or if it's the same thing in the movie.

I believe it would be the Bermuda Triangle, given it has also been called the Devil's Triangle previously.

I didn't know the Bermuda triangle has been called the Devil's Triangle before, but it makes sense when you consider how many ships have vanished in the area.

I've also been thinking that the ghosts seem to be stuck in the state they were in the moment they died, given the way Salazar's hair and details of his jacket move as if he's still under water, and how many of his ghost crew are missing parts of their bodies without appearing to be affected by it.
Like the guy who's missing the top half of his head, but still seem to have all his senses intact, including his vision.

From what we know at this point, Salazar was merely hunting and killing every pirate he came across, it doesn't really sound logical to me that he would have transported something cursed. Maybe there was a curse within the cave or general area where the ship was destroyed and the crew died, something supernatural that reawakened the souls of the ship and its crew and captain and keeps them alive. Or reawakened Salazar's soul and his hatred for Jack and lust for revenge keeps himself as well as the souls of the ship and the crew alive.

It's an interesting subject, and seeing as there will apparently be one more movie, I hope they're doing a two part story like they did with DMC and AWE, introducing the villain and his motives in DMTNT and save the conclusion of the battle for the next one.
That's the main mistake I feel they did with OST, introducing Blackbeard and then killing him off in the same movie.

Edit;
Silent Mary just arrived, will be building her this evening

9 hours ago, Error404 said:

-snip-

I'd enjoy discussing this further with you, but i'm fairly sure that we should probably chat about Lego or at least how it relates to Lego in this topic :P

In regards to the Silent Mary and some of the remarks you've made, i do think it would have been better if Lego had experimented a bit more with the ghosts. The best we got was a leg and a head being transparent. I think they could have varied it a bit more perhaps with a transparent arm or something. I'm still a little disappointed that it'll not be possible to army build these.

Edited by Scarilian

Been waiting for his review! And it is excellent done as always. But I don't mind there's no interior. Will be picking up mine in Kölh, Germany next week (before public release). I'm hoping they have a big enough stock.

Designers video... so author is Marcos...

Designers video - so its Marcos who made it.. :)

Edited by Blazej_Holen

Btw, has anyone noticed that the sails on the main mast are on the back of the spars? Should be an easy fix for those who get it though.

It looks weird when you have the mast up, though. I just switched them around and it looks way better. Does anyone know why they used 2x2 plates with that small socket joint on the masts though?

Well, 2x2 round plates also have one and would make more sense too. Well, the masts on the ship are ugly anyways...