I am not surprised that the train will probably be like the Toy Story and Lone Ranger trains; but I was hoping to see a bit more "beefy" US steam power dressed for the holiday. A nice 4-6-2 like a SOU engine would be a great Christmas engine with enough prototype accuracy for Train Fans.

The inclusion of track leads me to believe though it will skew to the "toy look" and less to the fidelity of the three Creator Expert Trains. Still, I'm excited to see it.

Including tracks means it is easy to throw the set under the Christmas tree for any family who doesn't already have LEGO train tracks. And maybe add some Winter Village sets to complete the holiday look.

Including tracks means it is easy to throw the set under the Christmas tree for any family who doesn't already have LEGO train tracks. And maybe add some Winter Village sets to complete the holiday look.

See photo above guys

its exactly like the Toy Story and Lone Ranger train but with more detail and includes a circle of track.... I'm a little disappointed by the design but I will probably still buy it since I'm a huge Lego train fan

4-2-0 just looks weird - I'll buy it still or x2 but to me it should at least be a 4-4-0 and seeing as they already have the design I would have thought that would be easier.

Edited by lostdriveway

I really would like to believe Lego could pull off a surprise fall train set, but I doubt that will happen. I mean, this set looks decent, but it's size and style won't even compare to the older Holiday Train.

However, I'm already thinking of ways to make the engine into a 4-4-0, or just simply add driving rods or something that will give it a spark.

This set's build and aesthetics are totally in accordance with other Winter Village sets, but I think this definitely isn't what afol community, along with myself, was hoping for. I'd wish the set with more pieces and more realistic look. Loco and tender somewhat seem like an improved version of 10173 Holiday Train, with more details and better coloring, however, cars look small and too toyish imho. I love Lego trains and will be probably getting it, but a wish for an serious advanced model remains...

Quite expensive for what we get, but at least we continue to get more train parts. Hope they have some new parts/colors in it :) It seems a bit a devaluation of "expert" sets though.

Remember, given the way the large train wheels are packaged, I think you'll actually get four flanged drivers and two blind drivers in the box. Plenty of scope to modify it.

Remember, given the way the large train wheels are packaged, I think you'll actually get four flanged drivers and two blind drivers in the box. Plenty of scope to modify it.

What makes you say that?

Also, I suspected it'll be a pass for me, and yes, it is a total pass for me.

This would have to be one of the most woefully designed sets ever, it is to LEGO steam locomotives what 4561 was to LEGO passenger trains, I am so glad that I gave up on offical sets so many years ago as a way of filling my fleet, the only way you are really going to get any decent trains is by building them yourself.

What makes you say that?

I think he's right. It seems like Lego's mold for the large train wheels includes 3 wheels - two flanged and one blind driver. Although I don't have an explanation for that and it seems weird, there's much evidence that this is the case.

For example Lego included a red blind driver in the toy story train although the engine didn't need them. The instructions of the Emerald Night showed one set of those wheels (flanged - blind - flanged) disguised as one part (with one part number) as can be seen here:

trainswheels.png

It seems as if Lego themselves doesn't know how to put it. Funnily enough the instructions of the Toy Story Train had just the flanged wheel shown as piece 4584104 (and it didn't include the blind driver in the instructions, although it was physically included) and the Constitution Train had the same pic shown in the instructions as the Emerald Night also with the same part number.

I myself am happy to see a new train but I won't buy it. Although I don't like the design very much and the price/piece ratio isn't very good I'm sure it has a lot of playability and kids will love it. A good thing about the train is that it seems to be possible to add Power Functions - the normal train motor as the front bogie, the receiver in the cab and the battery box in the tender.

I'm sure I read that the only way they could justify the cost for a new mould for the new large wheels was for the complete set to be in one, so it produces four flanged and two blind each time, even if the model doesn't require all six. Or something like that...

Maybe Pioneer steam engine inspired? It's 4-2-0.

*snip*

Yeah I know 4-2-0 engines exsist, I'm just not a particular fan of the way the look.

Besides I am more of an 8-driving axle guy, 2-8-0, 2-8-2, 4-8-4, 4-8-8-4... Sadly I doubt Lego will ever make an official train like that since the mold casts three wheels at once.

Also I know it's a Creator Expert model; but sadly it doesn't measure up to the last three D2C trains in my opinion. Who am I kidding though, I am probably still getting it.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

sadly it doesn't measure up to the last three D2C trains in my opinion.

It's a Winter Village train. Did you really expect it to? That'd be like expecting the WV buildings to measure up to the modulars.

Yeah I know 4-2-0 engines exsist, I'm just not a particular fan of the way the look.

Besides I am more of an 8-driving axle guy, 2-8-0, 2-8-2, 4-8-4, 4-8-8-4... Sadly I doubt Lego will ever make an official train like that since the mold casts three wheels at once.

Also I know it's a Creator Expert model; but sadly it doesn't measure up to the last three D2C trains in my opinion. Who am I kidding though, I am probably still getting it.

With 3 wheels at once cast, something like a 4-6-6-4 Challenger could be an efficient use of the mold. One can only dream or MOC? :classic:

I think this is Creator Expert along the lines of how Winter Village is labeled Creator Expert.

That'd be like expecting the WV buildings to measure up to the modulars.

Maybe I'm to much of a foamer... When I see the WV buildings I think "quaint, cute, etc." When I see the WV train I think, "unauthentic, toy like, horrible power to weight ratio with one driving axle, why don't the cars ride on proper trucks?, can someone even get into the cupola of the caboose, why does an American style train still use the same old Lego buffers??" I might be a bit picky but that is the side affect of sitting line-side and watching the real thing all to often. Of course I try and remind myself it is just a toy, but the more I see the real things in action the more often I feel an urge to push for "realism" either through MOCs that meet my standards, or traditional rail modeling in HO scale.

So maybe the set is just fine, I'm just the screwed up one! :D

So when you see the WV building sets, you don't think "but it's open to the elements on one side! Everyone will get cold! And where's the bathroom in these buildings?" :wink:

The whole WV range is stylised, it's not really meant to be too realistic. I think that as train buffs, we should just relax a bit, be glad that TLG actually made a train (remember when we thought there wouldn't be one at all this year?), and that it will keep the Steam train wheels in production (and therefore keep the mould current) for at least another year or two.

Chill, dudes :classic:

Looks like you only need 2 drivers an no blind. Could be you only get one or the sets of three and don't use the blind driver at all?

I wonder if you could make this train into a 4-2-4T like the C.P. Huntington (or as a 4-2-2T as it's sister engine the T.D. Judah, named after the real father of the trans-continental railroad as seen below) of Central Pacific fame.

Judah.jpg

I may have worked out a solution to the no-working-pistons problem, but I wont' know for awhile as it's an idea only in head and I have no idea if the set works the way I think it does, so I can't recreate it. :hmpf_bad:

I wonder if you could make this train into a 4-2-4T like the C.P. Huntington (or as a 4-2-2T as it's sister engine the T.D. Judah, named after the real father of the trans-continental railroad as seen below) of Central Pacific fame.

I may have worked out a solution to the no-working-pistons problem, but I wont' know for awhile as it's an idea only in head and I have no idea if the set works the way I think it does, so I can't recreate it. :hmpf_bad:

The colors of the set are a bit garish even for a CP engine, but to be honest the C.P. Huntington is the only engine I have seen in real life with two driving wheels. If I get the set I might just mod the locomotive to be like that then.