Barduck

MOC BNSF SD-70

+1 for the color scheme and I will add the scale looks as impressive. Looks like the engine traverses 4 straight segments (almost 64 studs long). I would love to see this sometime in person.

How well does it run? I suspect that it will be happier on ME curves than the LEGO curves (or switch points).

Nope nope nope, not possible. I refuse to believe that you were able to make it look that good in only 8 wide, can't be, not true. Seriously though, you did an excellent job with this build, looks great and all of the detail is impressive. Lots of great details, not least of which is how you assembled the nose.

Thx for the comments all. As for her length, she's 66 studs long (magnet to magnet) and actually only 1 stud longer than my SD-60 ( https://www.flickr.c...157641079372804 ) which has no problems with standard LEGO curves or switches so I don't think the SD-70 should have any. Will do a video when I find the time.

Powerwise, with 2 PF train motors under her belly she should be more than strong enough to pull a decent amount of cars

video:

MOC BNSF SD-70

running on standard LEGO tracks, curves, switches and a section of flextrack

Cool powerful locomotive. Motion picture is excellent. Very precisely adjusted proportions, color scheme as the original, great job.

Great model you got there!

I only saw that it had 9V motors when investigating your model, so great work on the covering for that!

Very nice work. Is it a SD70M variant?

Yes the SD70ACe is a later version of the SD70M. EMD has kept the SD70 designation in use for a long time now haven't they?

Yes the SD70ACe is a later version of the SD70M. EMD has kept the SD70 designation in use for a long time now haven't they?

Yes they have been because of how reliable the engine block is and now its the SD70ACe-T4 (The T4 standing for Tier 4).

Yes they have been because of how reliable the engine block is and now its the SD70ACe-T4 (The T4 standing for Tier 4).

I've seen a few GE T4 units, but I haven't seen a SD70ACe-T4 yet. I heard they sound very quiet.

The undercarriage and the nose are the best parts IMO and the entire train looks exactly like the real thing. Even if all the Lego designers teamed up they would get nowhere near this absolute perfection! This is such a beautiful replica and the decals bring it even more to life. I am dying to see this running with some freight cars behind in person!! This is truly a masterpiece. I am looking forward to seeing your works in the future.

Edited by Legoboy22

I've seen a few GE T4 units, but I haven't seen a SD70ACe-T4 yet. I heard they sound very quiet.

They are very quiet, and crews love them.

Amasing creation! You managed to achieve a great outlook which, i believe, is identical to the original!

Despite its length, i see that it can spin without a problem on the typical lego tracks. Can it go faster?

She could go faster (was only at step 4 on the controller at end of video) but i dare not.

Amazing locomotive. My LUG pals now have to quit complaining about my 8 wide, 53 stud long locomotives because this looks fabulous and I have to make mine longer.

Another big diesel machine after the Union Pacific DDA40X!

The DDA is going to get scrapped in favor of building the SD-70 in UP livery too