Sign in to follow this  
Macsen Wledig

[MOC] Ard Ri

Ard Ri is a variant of the game Hnefatafl, or simply Tafl, which is one of the oldest games in the world - traced in various versions to the Vikings, Welsh, Saxons, and Irish. It is rare in that it is one of the few games that comprises of two unequal sides. Ard Ri is played on a smaller board and with fewer pieces than standard Hnefatafl and it is one of the most challenging forms of the game. In Ard Ri the defending side comprises eight soldiers and a king, who start the game in the centre of the board. Their objective is for the king to escape by reaching any of the four corner squares. The attackers comprise sixteen soldiers positioned in four groups of four around the perimeter of the board. Their objective is to take the King. All pieces move like the Rook in chess and pieces are taken by "sandwiching" i.e. moving your piece so that an opponent's piece is trapped horizontally or vertically between two of yours. Unlike other versions of Hnefatafl, in Ard Ri the defending side starts first.

27776657514_37ba8eb604_b.jpg

Ard Ri by Dan Harris, on Flickr

Ard Ri is associated with the Scottish Highlands with Ard Ri meaning 'High King' in Irish Gaelic. 'Irish Gaelic' you may ask? Well Scot's Gaelic is part of the same linguistic family and in fact comes from Ireland.

27776662534_39279dd800_b.jpg

There's a really good description of the game and outline of its rules over at:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/346545/how-tafl-and-why-youd-want

Hnefatafl sets often contained intricately carved pieces and beautifully decorated boards and this is what we've tried to create here, taking inspiration from traditional designs and the iconic Uig Chessmen. I say we, because the board was actually created by my girlfriend Dot, who as it turns out has a bit of a talent for cheese-slope mosaics. All I contributed was the structure and pieces.

28288896602_c70e46b5bf_b.jpg

This set forms part of this year's www.bricktothepast.com collection, England, 793. The main piece of the collection is on display over summer 2016 at the Rheded Centre in Penrith.

As always, you can follow Brick to the Past to get regular updates and the occasional funny... well, sort of funny, blog post:

www.bricktothepast.com

www.facebook.com/bricktothepast

twitter.com/bricktothepast

Thanks for viewing!

MW

That is a stunning game board! Great game figures as well :thumbup:

I'm always impressed by Bricks to the Past displays, you guys keep the epic builds coming :grin:

Stunning design on both the board and the figures! I'd love to play a round or two on that board. :wub:

Just as a standalone mosaic the game board it self would be in a class of its own, but wiht a game as well? Amazing! :sweet:

I wonder if Lego ideas would accept a MOC like this, or perhaps the game it portrays is not well known enough on a global scale to be a success as a set.

That is a stunning game board! Great game figures as well :thumbup:

I'm always impressed by Bricks to the Past displays, you guys keep the epic builds coming :grin:

Thanks very much - more epic builds on the way :)

Stunning design on both the board and the figures! I'd love to play a round or two on that board. :wub:

Thanks very much - we're taking it to STEAM in October and probably Brick in November - you're welcome to challange us if you make any of them (although we're not very good...)

Just as a standalone mosaic the game board it self would be in a class of its own, but wiht a game as well? Amazing! :sweet:

I wonder if Lego ideas would accept a MOC like this, or perhaps the game it portrays is not well known enough on a global scale to be a success as a set.

Thanks very much. Hnefatafl would make an awesome Ideas set... it would probably have to be on a more sturdy board than one made of cheese-slopes though!

Thanks very much. Hnefatafl would make an awesome Ideas set... it would probably have to be on a more sturdy board than one made of cheese-slopes though!

True, its a pity though, I would love TLG to use that technique in a set! What a great parts pack it would make... Oh well, its nice to dream.

Love the mosaic, border, and players!

Thanks very much!

Nice! LOVE the floor. :thumbup:

Thanks very much!

Having played this game and based on its origins, this is a very well thought recreation!

Thank you!

I've never heard of the game until this post but it sounds like a good strategy game. I could see your creation making a nice Lego board game though I bet TLG wouldn't produce it as fancy a set as yours.

I've never heard of the game until this post but it sounds like a good strategy game. I could see your creation making a nice Lego board game though I bet TLG wouldn't produce it as fancy a set as yours.

Thanks very much - it's a great game!

Nice build, especially love these boats!

Thanks very much!