IcarusBuilds

[MOC][WIP][LDD] Minifig Scale Rebels Ghost Build

hmmm... I'll have the bluerays end of the month, I'll keep an eye out for that section particularly. Maybe they'll do a cross section some day.

I'd do the leg struts differently myself... they're way too thin in the show to work

I'd do the leg struts differently myself... they're way too thin in the show to work

Yeah, the ones on my model are mostly just for show, for the actual build I would probably need to build a support stand or something to support all that weight.

Yeah, the ones on my model are mostly just for show, for the actual build I would probably need to build a support stand or something to support all that weight.

You will probably have to make some landing gear, like 10179. Tie them into the frame some how with pins and axles.

Any new progress?

Jamie

On 8/30/2016 at 3:00 AM, jamie75 said:

You will probably have to make some landing gear, like 10179. Tie them into the frame some how with pins and axles.

Any new progress?

Jamie

Why yes, I was actually just preparing for an update last night. I will be leaving on vacation, so I thought I should show the work that I've gotten done.

I've essentially finished the interior build, save some parts that will have to be designed while this is nested in the rest of the model.

Alright, first we have an overview of the interior build.

43541270755_3b5d1803ac_n.jpg 29512405037_7a1f898ff3_n.jpg 43541270165_4e34c7bf89_n.jpg 29512404367_1e13f52f0c_n.jpg

I was able to frame the body so that the interior could be fit in.

Now for some detail shots, first I made a few adjustments to Zeb & Ezra's room to make it a bit more recognizable. (Mostly making it messy)

43541276905_a8db31a159_n.jpg

I also tweaked the cockpit a bit.

43541284965_da92a6d88c_n.jpg

Next the center point of it all the main junction.

43732888634_2362f178d0_n.jpg

And the Docking tubes coming off each side.

43732891674_a179f9d230_n.jpg

After that, we make our way into the Lounge, where most of the action happens on the Ghost. That curved couch/bench, took a lot of rebuilds, it's as close as I could get .

43732900064_3c080e7a1b_n.jpg 43732899524_220400227f_n.jpg

And finally the Canteen, for everyone's dining needs.

43732902604_6fc4492b1d_n.jpg

Hope you enjoy, and thank you for following my progress.

**EDIT: Fixed broken links.**

Edited by IcarusBuilds
Fixed Photos

Alrighty, I know it's been a while, but since the forum was down when I got back from my trip, I thought I would give it some time so they could get everything up and working again.

So it's time for an update. The biggest news is that my LDD MOC is finally done! I'm sure there will be some touch ups here are there, but for now I will say it's done.

First things first, I am going to start with my part counts, my Phantom is 563 bricks, the Ghost(no interior ver.) is 10814 bricks, giving a total of 11377 bricks. The Phantom & Ghost w/ interior has a grand total of a whopping 15844 bricks, all I can say, is that this is going to be an expensive and time consuming build.

OK, now that that's out of the way, time for some pictures.

44401333202_824efd5167_n.jpg 44450428371_0a897f26b1_n.jpg 44401332872_abf7d2f0f7_n.jpg 44450427891_e374c9066a_n.jpg 44401332422_f2e7ff68f4_n.jpg 44450427501_67390eae7c_n.jpg 44401331932_18ea7768a5_n.jpg

Now for a comparison to the original image that started it all.

44401334302_cb83d84bcd_n.jpg

Next some detail shots of the docked Phantom, it can dock either way, however since I don't know how to make the front guns retract, it does unfortunately involve removing them.

43733045074_60bb53f4d4_n.jpg

In the show, when the Phantom is docked back in, guns out, the ship sits in farther allowing a seal between the two ships, I was able to recreate that and it actually seals up quite nicely.

29512575607_06bed0afdb_n.jpg

And then adversely when docked guns in, back out, the back of the Phantom sits flush with the back of the Ghost.

43733044274_41daeaafa6_n.jpg

Once again, thank you to everyone following my progress, I would appreciate any comments of criticisms you have, let me know if there is anything you think I could fix. And hopefully I will be able to start posting progress photos of the actualised brick build in the near future.

Edited by IcarusBuilds
Fixed Photos

Absolutely fabulous!

Such a great rendering of this ship - almost every angle is perfect - and the fact that it has an almost full interior makes i even more impressive.

Number one on my wanted list.

Edited by Legopappan
typo

My only critizism is that I will never be able to have such a build as a set.  :sceptic:
No seriously: I still think the colour's are problematic, since the "real thing's" white, sand green & blue look very dirty. However, there's nothing to do about that other than imitating dirt & the bigger the model gets the less this is a problem I guess. I'd probably change the tan colour on both the airlocks.

So are you really gonna bricklink the necessary pieces?! Would be epic!
As a huge fan of Rebels & the Ghost in particular; my thanks that we can enjoy this project due to your labours!! :thumbup:

Wow. This is super impressive. You've captured the hulking look of the ghost really well, it just looks enormous and monolithic. Looking at the comparison image is what really amazed me - you've absolutely nailed the crucial proportions and angles. Well done.

the only things that really stuck out to me were the conventional studs up construction of the docking ring protrusions and the phantom docking area. By themselves they're very good and certainly not obviously lacking, but in contrast to the superb work around the rest of the ship they seem to stick out a bit to me but that's just nit picking. I think the docking area especially would benefit from some revisions in real bricks to clean some little bits up some more. But like I said it's not a big issue and doesn't detract from the whole thing at all. I really like this.

youre a bit mad for attempting to make this in real bricks! It will be a huge task but I'm sure it will be all worthwhile once it starts coming together. Good luck !

Hey everyone, I know it's been a while, but I wanted to throw in an update.

I had a bit of time to gather some pieces and test a couple parts of my build, I started with the Phantom and right away the wings were not going to work.

So I went back and rebuilt the Phantom, it is now significantly more structurally sound, and generally looks nicer. So I thought I would share.

44401458602_49c0a1132f_n.jpg 44450562271_fe634d85e0_n.jpg

I've also added some additional details to the build, I added so more accurate railings to the inside and a functional floor hatch. I am also much happier with the wings, which also sit nicer when folded up.

However since the Phantom widened after the rebuild, it meant that it no longer fit the dock at the back of the ghost. Whilst I was fixing that I noticed that some of the proportions at the back of the ship were off, so adjusted those while I was at it.

44450580011_05942c24af_n.jpg 44450579751_89735b1fba_n.jpg 44450579171_41e6ddf80c_n.jpg

The one issue I have with the dock at the moment is it is a bit cheaty, the grey tiles lining the top are currently not attached, they look nice and create a nice snug fit for the Phantom, but I haven't figured out a legitimate way to attach them. 

Also, in regards to sharing the files, I will be uploading the file for my Phantom soon, I'm just collecting the pieces to finish building mine first. As far as the Ghost goes, I want to check a few more things before I upload it. 

Currently due to it's size, it has become a bit unstable in LDD, I can no longer dock the Phantom in the model without it crashing. But yes, I will be uploading it eventually and hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Thank you for your patience.

Edited by IcarusBuilds
Fixed Photos

Looking really good, the phantom especially. However I think you can do a couple of things that shouldn't be too much trouble that will greatly improve the look of your phantom: slightly bigger engines (I've seen tires used which work well ), and a brick built cockpit. Inthert on flickr has a pretty nice general look for his phantom which looks similarly good to yours

Edited by atlas

The updates look really good. This would be such an exciting project to build. I haven't watched the show past the second season, but evidently there is another Phantom. I don't know, maybe the first one got wrecked but, I was wondering if you're going to build that one up to scale too?

Hey everyone,

So I was finally able to get all the bricks needed to complete my Phantom, so I'm posting some pics of the finished build.

43541776875_edf5581162_n.jpg 29512868827_ded4c58e21_n.jpg 43541770835_f8b564d000_n.jpg 29512864807_d0ea1bd1f9_n.jpg 44450729081_e54bc9f548_n.jpg 44450726891_4289b5490a_n.jpg 29512857987_dd285ae601_n.jpg 43541755605_917240671f_n.jpg 44401622452_c822a76ed6_n.jpg

And as promised I'm adding the .lxf file for it.

44450717661_b8437f09d7_o.gif

rendered using bublible's SunFlow MOD v20160627 as rendering engine for BR

You can (download temporarily removed)

Hope you enjoy, the Ghost will hopefully be coming before the end of December.

Edited by IcarusBuilds
Fixed photos

This is looking awesome so far! Maybe, if one day you can make it work, you can also add the phantom 2 to this. That would be great to see. Overall though, outstanding job and can't wait to see it all finished up!

Very nice project and most impressive results. I will think of building your Phantom. Thank you so much for the instructions.

Hey everyone, 

It's that time, the Ghost has finally arrived.

Okay, so just to get a few details out of the way;

• Part count totals; 10963 bricks for the Hollow Ghost, 11601 bricks if you include the Phantom, grand total 16068 bricks with the interior.
  • As a NOTE this is the hollow Ghost only, I am currently not planning to add the file for the interior, we will see if that changes in the future.
  • AS A DISCLAIMER due to the high brick count, this file is quite unstable, so don't be surprised if LDD crashes while using the file, so if you are making any changes I recommend saving often and saving backups. (Over the course of my build, I had up to 16 backups due to some files not opening again after saving and losing hours of work.)

On a side note I have been trying to build a Phantom II in scale with my Ghost, but it has a lot more curves to it and is not coming along as well as my first Phantom.

Also, to anyone who builds either my Phantom or attempts the Ghost, I would love to hear about your progress and hear about any changes you might make or issues you might find.

And finally thank you for the support and keeping up with this project, I look forward to posting more MOCs in the future.

Alright, enough stalling...

44450968861_9d6bb78903_o.gif

You may notice from the gif that the engines have been entirely redesigned, and I also did minor touch-ups here and there.

And you can (download temporarily removed)

I hope you all enjoy, and have a happy holiday season.

Edited by IcarusBuilds
Fixed Photos

That looks utterly fabulous! Congratulations on completing this marathon project.

Thank you for the .lxf file as well - very nice! My nine-year-old wants to know if I'm going to build it, and if so, where I'm going to PUT it (the obvious answer is "his room", so I guess that's what he's angling for!)

One tip for anyone else having problems opening this file: switch OFF the "Outline on bricks" option and restart LDD before you try to open the file.

Hello @IcarusBuilds!!!  This MOC is simply incredible and i cant wait to hopefully build it one day myself!  personally a pet peeve of mine is when there is no windscreen where there is supposed to be one.  i know brickbuilt cockpits are generally more accurate for star wars builds but it is just a personal preference therefore i have made a slight MOD to the top cockpit in LDD.  would you mind if i posted it on here or would you rather i keep it to myself?