The sheer number of parts is what makes me want this set. I tend to build sets once and then use them for parts, and the sheer number of them (more than 50 "O" frames and tons of beams) will be a huge help for my MOCs. Those new gear parts could also be interesting to use in a mono- or bi-wheel device.

Setzilla rules - but a shame it doesn't do its primary function of excavating, without stalling.

Can you lower the bucket wheel below grade? And then dig into a "brick pit"? Would need a lot more bricks, but may be worth it

Can you lower the bucket wheel below grade? And then dig into a "brick pit"? Would need a lot more bricks, but may be worth it

No, you can't. A small mod changing how actuators connect to the boom would fix that, though.

Do you find using this set as a GBC module possible or not?

After you remove these damn clutch gears, yeah, probably.

always interesting to see people say it's always 'child safety', as the main reason for lacklustre motorised functions..

This set *IS* for 12-16yr olds.. hardly toddlers/infants, and with the price tag so high.. pretty certain TLG know that a large portion of sales will be adults anyway (majority, maybe?)

Sometimes I wish they'd just do a 18+ technic set... with no safety limits!

I wonder, if, after replacing the clutch gears with regular ones... how much stronger it is.. and how 'dangerous' it is...

can you really get a finger jammed in somewhere, or will the motor just stall anyway, due to excessive gear train...

Usually when a BWE digs below grade the wheel rotates in reverse and the buckets are installed the other way around.

Great review! Thanks to you (and TLG for providing this set to you). I am now more sure I will get this set!

Do you think it can be modded into some kind of hamster treadmill?

I really like your number 4 item of people who will not like this set. But does anyone ever have all their parts organized?

Looking forward to the B model review.

Andy D

I think the white clutch gears are also there to protect the model as much as small fingers. Imagine all that gearing down from an XL motor without any protect and it's easy to see gears breaking. Maybe a better option is first trying adding more clutch gears.

always interesting to see people say it's always 'child safety', as the main reason for lacklustre motorised functions..

This set *IS* for 12-16yr olds.. hardly toddlers/infants, and with the price tag so high.. pretty certain TLG know that a large portion of sales will be adults anyway (majority, maybe?)

Sometimes I wish they'd just do a 18+ technic set... with no safety limits!

I wonder, if, after replacing the clutch gears with regular ones... how much stronger it is.. and how 'dangerous' it is...

can you really get a finger jammed in somewhere, or will the motor just stall anyway, due to excessive gear train...

Most RC helicopters tend to be 14+ (saying "Not a Toy"), so 18+ wouldn't be needed. The limit is probably the strength of gears - wouldn't want to try using an brushless motor :P.

I think the white clutch gears are also there to protect the model as much as small fingers. Imagine all that gearing down from an XL motor without any protect and it's easy to see gears breaking. Maybe a better option is first trying adding more clutch gears.

I think it's mostly to protect the motor from stalling. But in official sets, usually the clutch gear slips WELL before the motor stalls - maybe when the motor gets slowed to 2/3 speed. Not optimal or necessary - I've put motors through plenty of abuse and they're still fine.

I redid 42042 (blue crawler crane) with out the clutches and lifted around 800 grams no problem. Lego motors are tougher, IMO, than many give them credit for.

I like how you think and I agree with you Nerds :devil:

many thanks for the review.

btw, do you know what sariels hamsters do between making videos?

Edited by efferman

Thanks Sariel.

This is a modder's dream. You can add motors and functions without worrying you'll ruin the looks. It will just look better and better, the more stuff you add!

btw, do you know what sariels hamsters do between making videos?

Yes, that explains their body shape ;)

I would buy it purely for parts. i'd build the set to see how it works etc, I think the set offers a lot of potential. Good review, very informative and nice to see it working.

H

Edited by Horace T

Great review on an interesting set.

I am quite surprised to see that it scoops up parts better than I thought it would.

The stationary lower conveyor vs. the upper rotation is a neat trick.

At some point the size of these sets reduces the swooshabilty too much.

Steve

I don't get why some people complain about the speed (or lack thereof). I'm pretty sure the guys at TLG thought things through well enough to decide they'd struck a balance between realism and playability. In any case, even a novice could mod the gearbox with the existing parts and squeeze out around twice as much speed, should this really be an issue.

Sariel, is this the first thing that doesn't fits on your background?

Great review.

I'm still waiting for proper review that includes digging some hamsters (after removing clutches of course) and feeding them to a cat waiting down there in place of a small truck.

I'm still waiting for proper review that includes digging some hamsters (after removing clutches of course) and feeding them to a cat waiting down there in place of a small truck.

Hamsters have ruined your evil plan long ago by getting too fat to go down the conveyor belt.

Hamsters have ruined your evil plan long ago by getting too fat to go down the conveyor belt.

Hence the need for a hamster treadmill ;);)

Andy D

Great review Sariel. I think I'm going to pass on this. Aside from size it doesn't really appeal

My wallet is are ally hurting this year after the summer Lego buying spree I'm goin on. Sariel, thank you for the review. Too bad we couldn't see the hamsters have more fun with it even though TLG said it wasn't hamster approved.......

Nasty, wicked creatures, curse them.

Can somebody tell which of currently available Technic models are more or less in scale to BWE?

Can somebody tell which of currently available Technic models are more or less in scale to BWE?

I think set 42035 :tongue:

Edited by Erik Leppen