Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

Brickfair Virginia, 2016

I'm guessing there will be some other EB folks at BFVA this year. My brother (LittleJohn) and I will be there, mainly in the castle section.

So is anyone else coming? We'd love to meet some EB members in person :classic:

I'll be there in space, Space, SPACE! theme. :sweet:

wont be joining this year, but I'm hoping to find some time to get there next year. be sure to say hi to Mariann at Model building secrets (if she makes it there this year) wonderfully nice former Lego Master builder.

Yup, I'm going, but not displaying. I'll be workin at a table!

First Brickfair so lookin' forward to it!

Great to hear a bunch of you guys and gals will be there :excited:

This is our first year as well.

Last year was my first year there and loved it so making the 14 hour drive again. Will have quite a large Quidditch scene with us for one of our Mocs

Last year was my first year there and loved it so making the 14 hour drive again. Will have quite a large Quidditch scene with us for one of our Mocs

Brilliant, I'm bring a ton of Harry Potter stuff, make sure you put yours next to mine so we can have a coherent 'Harry Potter' corner! ;D

Brilliant, I'm bring a ton of Harry Potter stuff, make sure you put yours next to mine so we can have a coherent 'Harry Potter' corner! ;D

Sweet, HP has been lacking these last few years at events I have been. The Map was updated today and the Hary potter and Fairytale world sections are both mine. I'll probably switch them around so the quidditch scene is on the corner of the table as it will give better viewing. My son will be pleased, he's a huge HP fan

We are tied up with a family reunion/memorial service in Austin and can't make it this year. Be prepared to bake as it has been hot this month on the East Coast...in the 90's with high humidity and lots of thunderbusters. Take an ice chest full of cold drinks because the hall can get hot, too.

As a reminder, take your unwanted spares to trade or sell at the swap meets. It is a great way to depart with LEGO you no longer need and to pick up some items on your want list often at much lower prices than you will see on BL. Don't be surprised if big dealers with tables at BF buy a ton of your spares, especially minifig parts.

Finally going this year and will bring these along...

AC

28397404575_eb73be5e72_c.jpg

28293290672_f570097127_c.jpg

Space locked in!

27827045973_15c32a75af_c.jpg

I'll be there, as I have been for the past five years! I'll probably be spending a lot of time with the BZPower crowd at the Bionicle tables, but I'll also be around to check out all the other MOCs and hopefully some of the games and seminars.

Most of my MOCs I'll be displaying will be Bionicle MOCs, and unfortunately I only have one so far that I haven't previously displayed at BrickFair Virginia. :( This has unfortunately not been a very creative year for me. But I'm still looking forward to spending time with friends and meeting new people! It's great that so many other Eurobrickers will be in attendance!

Another tip to anybody who hasn't been to BrickFair Virginia before: wear comfortable shoes. The event space is bigger than ever this year, and the floors are very hard without any sort of carpeting or cushioning.

EDIT 7/28: Finished my new design for my brick badge a couple days ago, this time with an Elvendale theme! That's probably the best way to identify me if you want to flag me down and introduce yourself! I'll be changing the colors of a few of the engraved bricks once I get there, but you should still be able to recognize it. :)

28556352026_dd5f77a32e.jpg

Edited by Aanchir

Question. Is there a specific technic section ?

Based on this year's map, there does not seem to be a dedicated Technic section this year. Chances are you will still find plenty of Technic builds in the Mixed section, though (in addition to the Mindstorms, Bionicle, and Great Ball Contraption areas, and maybe even some of the LUG tables).

Question. Is there a specific technic section ?

Based on this year's map, there does not seem to be a dedicated Technic section this year. Chances are you will still find plenty of Technic builds in the Mixed section, though (in addition to the Mindstorms, Bionicle, and Great Ball Contraption areas, and maybe even some of the LUG tables).

I asked Todd directly and he said Technic is now located in the Mindstorms area. Just click the map link that Lyichir provided and you will see it next to the Competition Ring.

Weather looks to be in the high 80s to low 90s with possible scattered thunderstorms on Thursday and Saturday.

Also the convention center has been renovated and expanded and has said no 'wheels' of any kind (except wheelchairs) through the front entrance. It would be best to check in first and ask at the check in desk or your theme leader (lavender polo shirts) where to unload and bring MOCs in at if you are planning on using any kind of carts or wagons.

And for those who are new to BrickFair VA, parking on public days (Sat and Sun) will be difficult if you don't arrive early as the public uses the same parking lot as exhibitors. The public line usually starts forming very early so make sure you have your badge on to get in.

I'll be co-theme lead for Space Theme again this year so stop by to say 'Hi' or if you need help with anything don't hesitate to ask. :sweet:

I plan to attend. But I can't really take much time off of work so I plan to arrive sort of late Friday afternoon with a big Star Destroyer on a dolley/hand truck. I've never been to any kind of Lego convention -- am I going to run into trouble by trying to set up at the last second? Also, any tips for preventing damage to MOCs to the extent possible?

I plan to attend. But I can't really take much time off of work so I plan to arrive sort of late Friday afternoon with a big Star Destroyer on a dolley/hand truck. I've never been to any kind of Lego convention -- am I going to run into trouble by trying to set up at the last second? Also, any tips for preventing damage to MOCs to the extent possible?

Preregistration for your MOCs is the best way to make sure there is space available for what you are bringing. Have you registered the Star Destroyer? If you haven't registered it yet, then on the set up instructions you could indicate the need for saved space due to late arrive/check-in time. Bringing it through the loading dock should not be a problem. As far as preventing damage, I would say just take your time getting through the hall to your theme area (Pop Culture). If you need assistance with set up, one of your theme leaders should be able to help you.

Edited by Lady K

Some thoughts on this year's Brickfair:

Overall, I liked it. What I didn't like was their new system that allowed pretty much everyone who paid beforehand to enter before those who didn't. I was right at the front of the latter line and I felt like I wasted my time by showing up extra early.

The MOCs were impressive as usual, the GBC seems to get twice as big each time I go.

The vendors were a little disappointing because for some reason they weren't selling any spare NK figs (Although I managed to pick up a poly that I didn't have) and were all filled to the brim with super heroes stuff. One vendor in particular was attempting to sell the Black Knight's Castle for a thousand bucks, which I'm sure no one purchased. :wacko:

I was also happy that they were able to use the smaller convention center next to the main one, something that wasn't an option until now. Good thing, too, as it seemed there were more people than ever.

Preregistration for your MOCs is the best way to make sure there is space available for what you are bringing. Have you registered the Star Destroyer? If you haven't registered it yet, then on the set up instructions you could indicate the need for saved space due to late arrive/check-in time. Bringing it through the loading dock should not be a problem. As far as preventing damage, I would say just take your time getting through the hall to your theme area (Pop Culture). If you need assistance with set up, one of your theme leaders should be able to help you.

Yeah, just want to say that my theme leader, John, did a great job of making space for me even though I arrived really late. So I had no problems (that weren't of my own making, heh).