This MOC was built after 2 other attempts, 2 years ago and these didn't work. (I can explain a little the reasons if someone is interested)

324876P1050661edited.jpg

154980P1050662edited.jpg

742136P1050663edited.jpg

The design was difficult to do because of the round shapes. But I think the result is so good. You tell me !

172526P1050664edited.jpg

966432P1050665edited.jpg

511778P1050670edited.jpg

540001P1050668edited.jpg

187795P1050680edited.jpg

The functions are :

• Left track
  • Right track
  • Blade
  • Rotation of the turret
  • 1st section of the arm
  • 2nd section of the arm
  • Moving the bucket
  • Rotation of the arm (right/left)
  • Opening/closing the clamp (pneumatic)

All the functions are powered by M motors, except the rotation of the turret.

But there are 9 functions, and it is possible to control just 8 functions with the IR system. How it's possible ?

It's quite simple ! A gearbox allows to choose between "rotation of the arm" or "opening/closing the clamp".

The chassis is very compact. It has 4 motors and 1 IR !

849254P1050678edited.jpg

715758P1050679edited.jpg

The mechanism of the rotation of the turret is not visible (the turret is too compact ! ^^) The rotation is quite fast (not too slow).

Here you can see the motor actioning the 1st section of the arm.

756540P1050673edited.jpg

The motors of the 2nd section of the arm and the bucket are placed inside the arm.

584080P1050672edited.jpg

397895P1050669edited.jpg

213708P1050671edited.jpg

The last motor is placed in the middle of the chassis. It actuates the gearbox and you can choose the function to activate.

466605P1050677edited.jpg

631170P1050674edited.jpg

696977P1050666edited.jpg

205665P1050667edited.jpg

With the clamp, there are a bucket and forks.

Edited by Anto

I usually preffer gearboxes than motors but I know impossible this time, awesome piece of machinery art. I am someone interested, always is good to know why is a MOC done and why is not done.

Is very amazing how many functions you have achieved in a model of this scale, the functions are totally awesome as well as it looks, nice work.

The number of functions in such a tiny package is astonishing, and not only that, but the wrapping looks pretty nice as well!

Thank you for the comments ! :classic:

Any chance you'd have instructions or an LDD file?

I have not instructions yet, but it's possible that I make a LDD file.

Vhere did You put all motors?!

The most were taken on the #8043, and the rest on many sets that I collect since 5~6 years old.

I usually preffer gearboxes than motors but I know impossible this time, awesome piece of machinery art. I am someone interested, always is good to know why is a MOC done and why is not done.

That was the idea on the 2 other prototypes, but not exactly.

The change of function was done if the excavator moved or not.

If the driving motor was active, the other motor activated the steering (there was a subtractor).

If the motor of the driving was not activated, the other motor activated a self-valve.

For the explanations, driving motor is called "motor 1", the other motor (driving/self-valve) is called "motor 2".

Prototype 1 :

By default the self-valve was always activate by the motor 2 (function clamp). The function was changed by activating the motor 2. It activated an opening, and the air was ejected of the curcuit (function steering). On this prototype, the motor 2 could turn in only 1 direction.

Prototype 2 :

By default, the function activated by motor 2 was the self valve (as the prototype 1). If the motor 2 was turning, it disabled the function "self valve" to activate the steering. On this prototype, the motor 2 could turn in the 2 directions.

These prototypes didn't work because of a too much big scale (it weighted around 4kg). But in a more little scale, there was not enough space. :P

Edited by Anto

Wow, amazing MOC!

One question related to the gearbox:

A gearbox allows to choose between "rotation of the arm" or "opening/closing the clamp".

Why did you choose these 2 functions? rotation of the arm and using the clamp are related functions in the whole working process, so they may used one after the other.

Couldn't you for example use the gearbox with another function (for example the blade), in this case you place the blade and then you can work freely with your arm and clamp?

finally, can you please explain:

You say you have 9 motorised functions, and the IR can control 8 functions.

But I understand that one motor controls the gearbox also (to switch between two other functions). Therefore we are back with 8+1 = 9 functions to control??? or am I completely lost? :)

Edited by wissamms

I chose to put these functions on the gearbox because they have a different type of utility. The rotation of the arm is generally used with "precise tools", to do precise works, like the bucket (digging trenches near a wall...) or the forks (to take an object in a restricted space...), whereas the PTO is used with less precise tools like the clamp (it is not necessary to be very precise to catch rocks, dirt...). These functions can be used successively, but it is rarest with these tools.

The change of function can be done when I need to change the tool. Whereas if I chose to put the blade on the gearbox (for example rotation of the arm and blade) I had to change more often the position of the gearbox. That's a possible choice, but I decided other. (and put the blade on the gearbox would have been more difficult)

Finally, there are 7 functions + 1 that you can change in 2 other functions. (and 9 different functions in total)

Saw it on Techlug, welcome here too, great MOC! :thumbup: :thumbup:

what a neat digger! and how did you fit everything in?

would you be able to post some detailed photos of the gearbox

switch over? or an ldd file as this is a neat digger that scale wise

would go great with truck build a the moment...

Thanks !

I'll made building instructions (a LDD modelisation). Not immediately, when I'll have finished my latest creation. Interested people will see all the mechanisms.

Victor Imaginator : Sorry, I'll not buy this set. :(

A very good build! I love the compactness of it. I strive to make all my models compact, but this is beyond me... Great work!

I think this is fit for hall of fame.

-ED-

The modelization is finished ! https://www.dropbox.com/s/snu1se9aykkb6uj/Mini%20Pelle%20RC.lxf?dl=0

You have to add 1 switch, 1 PF extension (20 or 50cm), 1 pair of LED, 1 mini pneumatic pump, tubing, 1 mini pneumatic cylinder, 2 pneumatic connectors (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=159) and 4 flex for the rear headlights.

The MOC has 1218 parts without these missing parts.

I can't get over the fact that you managed to get so many functions in such a small body.

Very well done, quite an engendering marble.

Edited by Dafgek81

Anto - Thanks for the instructions to your newer model (in reply to my request on your newer excavator thread). 

When the instructions to the newer model were posted; however, I had already begun building your older version (in blue). 

Below are some pictures....

20180701_092537ii_small

20180702_144723ii_small

And here is a video of it operating. 

One of the better NMOCs that I have built, and I have built quite a few. Had to change a few things to the exterior to make it in blue.  Made it a little challenging given that in several spots exterior pieces actually either help the interior remain intact or provide pinholes for other exterior pieces. 

As mentioned by others, difficult to imagine there are eight motors in this thing, with nine functions!  But I can confirm this is true!   The LDD file was somewhat difficult to follow, and there were several errors and missed pieces, but all's well that end's well.  Still, I kinda improvised in terms of where the pneumatic switch went and to this day I still never figured out what the pneumatic cylinder bracket in the operator's area is for. 

Overall, very fun to not only build but play with, educational and complex! Very well done.  Thanks Anto and the makers/maintainers of rebrickable!

I'm glad you like my MOC! :classic: It looks nice in blue.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:18 PM, nerdsforprez said:

The LDD file was somewhat difficult to follow, and there were several errors and missed pieces, but all's well that end's well.

I know, but I do LDD files and not real instructions because that take more time, and I prefer spending my time on creating new MOCs. :laugh:

On 7/5/2018 at 11:18 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Still, I kinda improvised in terms of where the pneumatic switch went and to this day I still never figured out what the pneumatic cylinder bracket in the operator's area is for.

I'm not sure to understand about which part you are speaking. ^^