jameseilers

[MOC] [LDD] Naboo N-1 Starfighter

Here is N-1 I have been working on. It is based originally on Mike Psiaki's and then scott34567's model he did also based on Mike's. I removed the laser canons on the front since they are hidden on the N-1 except for the small exit hole. I also fleshed out the bottom of the hull based on pictures from the set pieces from the movie. I also did a lot of internal work to strengthen optimize and strengthen the model. Any feedback or suggestions would be great. I'm working on building in bricks right now. I just snagged the newest Lego version (75092) off of craigslist for $15 so I'm just getting my Bricklink order together for the extra pieces I need.

35060562620_642fadf621_k.jpgNaboo N1 Fighter by James Eilers, on Flickr

35060557710_206506be89_k.jpgNaboo N1 Fighter by James Eilers, on Flickr

34637821923_ce1fc2a16e_k.jpgN1 Pilot by James Eilers, on Flickr

Edited by jameseilers

Looks beautiful. I've been putting off trying to do this one for a while.this has a really good silhouette, I think it will look even better in real bricks.

Looks good - I agree the 1x10 slopes are nicer looking if you are able to adjust the side slopes as well.

Very nice, looks better than TLG's version. I'm waiting to see it built with real bricks! As regards the nose, I prefer the original version.

As a possible improvement, I'll only work a little on the back, especially by finding a smoother alternative to those 4 x 2 yellow angled plates on the sides (or by covering them with some sleek pieces).

I love it! The N1 Starfigher is one of my favorite Star Wars ship designs, and it's unfortunately one that's rather tough to get looking nice and sleek in LEGO. I think you've adapted Psiaki's design well, and my only 'criticism' is one that applies to Psiaki's original as well: the main engine cylinders just feel way too short. If you look at this massive picture here, the main engine cylinder stretches nearly all the way to the front of the nose before the cone comes into play, and the back of the engines nearly reach the front of the cockpit as well.

But, again, I really love this rendition of it and would love the LXF... but the dropbox link doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I guess I'll have to practice what the Skywalker boys never seem to have quite gotten down - patience!!

I love it! The N1 Starfigher is one of my favorite Star Wars ship designs, and it's unfortunately one that's rather tough to get looking nice and sleek in LEGO. I think you've adapted Psiaki's design well, and my only 'criticism' is one that applies to Psiaki's original as well: the main engine cylinders just feel way too short. If you look at this massive picture here, the main engine cylinder stretches nearly all the way to the front of the nose before the cone comes into play, and the back of the engines nearly reach the front of the cockpit as well.

But, again, I really love this rendition of it and would love the LXF... but the dropbox link doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I guess I'll have to practice what the Skywalker boys never seem to have quite gotten down - patience!!

Link is fixed! Thanks for pointing that out.

I completely agree with you about the engines. Originally I had them larger but I have had trouble with the internals and keeping them sturdy and connected well enough.

my only 'criticism' is one that applies to Psiaki's original as well: the main engine cylinders just feel way too short. If you look at this massive picture here, the main engine cylinder stretches nearly all the way to the front of the nose before the cone comes into play, and the back of the engines nearly reach the front of the cockpit as well.

The lego engine's diameter is a little big and shorter/steeper nose cones would be nice, but these proportions are a little better. LXF above is updated.

28231046365_f64a1b3486_k.jpgN1-engines by James Eilers, on Flickr

Very nice, looks better than TLG's version. I'm waiting to see it built with real bricks! As regards the nose, I prefer the original version. As a possible improvement, I'll only work a little on the back, especially by finding a smoother alternative to those 4 x 2 yellow angled plates on the sides (or by covering them with some sleek pieces).

Thoughts?

27615341484_45786cdda8_h.jpgN1-tail by James Eilers, on Flickr

Nice N1! How is this sizewise compared to the UCS version of this ship?

By far my favourite Star Wars vehicle, and yours is an excellent rendition. The 1x10 slopes definitely improve the nose. The only criticism can be the tail, which is not your fault: the square ending is very LEGO but not terribly satisfactory. Is it better or worse than a series of narrowing cylinders though? That is the question...

Excellent work!

Ok, Bricklink orders came in, there were a few missing pieces (note: seems that when doing LDD -> BrickStock some pieces just randomly get left out...) but here are some quick pictures. Better photos (proper lighting) to come later.

28464107055_76fca3dd49_k.jpgN1-2 by James Eilers, on Flickr

28464107555_cb0ad73c83_k.jpgN1-1 by James Eilers, on Flickr

Ok, Bricklink orders came in, there were a few missing pieces (note: seems that when doing LDD -> BrickStock some pieces just randomly get left out...)

Yeah that unfortunately happens. I wish updates were still being issued; especially for the support of the most recently introduced elements… However, how I resolve the missing bricks on BrickStock, I find it useful to generate a BOM (Bill of Materials) from the LDD file, and check off the parts that present, then make the necessary corrections for the absent ones.

Yeah that unfortunately happens. I wish updates were still being issued; especially for the support of the most recently introduced elements… However, how I resolve the missing bricks on BrickStock, I find it useful to generate a BOM (Bill of Materials) from the LDD file, and check off the parts that present, then make the necessary corrections for the absent ones.

Yes, I will definitely be using the BOM to compare from here on out.

Hey guys I tried dropping the ldd into the bricklink and it wines at me saying that theres a brick not found? Any ideas which brick is talking about so I can just remove it from the file and upload?

Or does someone have a BOM that I could drop in instead?

Simply amazing build BTW!

Looks great! The proportions seem spot on. Have you considered Chrome bricks for the front? I think there is a Chromebricks shop on bricklink that does custom orders.

Edited by mortesv

Hey guys I tried dropping the ldd into the bricklink and it wines at me saying that theres a brick not found? Any ideas which brick is talking about so I can just remove it from the file and upload?

Or does someone have a BOM that I could drop in instead?

Simply amazing build BTW!

Bueller?

Bueller?

I am going to try and get up a final parts list this weekend. You can open the LDD file and create your own BOM within LDD but dropping the file directly into Bricklink doesn't work because of errors with LDD labeling parts.

Looks great! The proportions seem spot on. Have you considered Chrome bricks for the front? I think there is a Chromebricks shop on bricklink that does custom orders.

Not super interested in the chrome parts. Chrome parts just don't have that Lego look to me.

Great design, but I think that it would look better if you move the whole tail part under the 2x4 wedge 1 stud back so that it is situated right underneath it. Otherwise it's awesome! :sweet: