Itaria No Shintaku

Is anyone else fearing that Nexo Knights is meaning NO new castle them

Will TLG produce historic castle themes in your opinion while Nexo Knights is in production?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Will TLG produce historic castle themes in your opinion while Nexo Knights is in production?

Sales are not always a good indicator of demand.

ASDA reduced all of the Hobbit wave 3 sets about two weeks after they were released. Obviously, that was not LEGO doing it, but that was a great time to be a castle builder. £50 for the Lonely Mountain, and Smaug was an easy sell for £40 back then. One of my ASDA deliveries set me back about £1200! The delivery man was impressed by the number of boxes he had to unload. Before that they also did the larger Dol Guldur battle set for £25, I bought 12 of them that time.

6 hours ago, MAB said:

ASDA reduced all of the Hobbit wave 3 sets about two weeks after they were released. Obviously, that was not LEGO doing it, but that was a great time to be a castle builder. £50 for the Lonely Mountain, and Smaug was an easy sell for £40 back then. One of my ASDA deliveries set me back about £1200! The delivery man was impressed by the number of boxes he had to unload. Before that they also did the larger Dol Guldur battle set for £25, I bought 12 of them that time.

That does sound impressive. Do you have a flickr or any pics of your collections up?

15 hours ago, MAB said:

ASDA reduced all of the Hobbit wave 3 sets about two weeks after they were released.

True, but in your case there is a very likely explanation for the sale: the movie wasn't well received, and they wanted to get rid of the stock quickly.

On 25/04/2017 at 2:01 PM, MAB said:

Sure. But a third of the range - all discounted at the same time + triple VIP points? 

21 hours ago, Artanis I said:

True, but in your case there is a very likely explanation for the sale: the movie wasn't well received, and they wanted to get rid of the stock quickly.

The movie did really well so I don't get your explanation.  I think retailers have sales to drive the market.  Like the Walmart where I live has discounted lego all the time including ninjago, nexo knights, city, DC, and Marvel.  So I don't think you can tell just by them going on sale.  A lot of stores around me have sales on different themes. 

40% is a massive sale. 5-20% happens every other day. There is a difference.

6 hours ago, Artanis I said:

40% is a massive sale. 5-20% happens every other day. There is a difference.

I have a few buy-now trigger points:

20% off if it is an exclusive (the 20% may be through promos, extra sets I can sell on rather than direct discount).

33% off to buy one or two for me, for regular retail sets.

And 50% for buy multiples for me as parts packs, or for resale. Although even then it depends on what is in the set.

On 26/04/2017 at 5:42 AM, Artanis I said:

I thought the movies were not badly received here. I think the major retailers here didn't have good sales for Hobbit wave 2 sets, so wave 3 sets went on almost instant discount as soon as they came out. The crazy thing was that some of them only lasted a few days, showing there was massive demand for them at 50% off - there would probably have been high (but not as high) demand at 20% off. The Lonely Mountain for £50 was a no-brainer - selling Smaug and the minifigs it was easy to recoup that (and more) plus keep all the parts for free. 

16 hours ago, MAB said:

I have a few buy-now trigger points:

20% off if it is an exclusive (the 20% may be through promos, extra sets I can sell on rather than direct discount).

33% off to buy one or two for me, for regular retail sets.

And 50% for buy multiples for me as parts packs, or for resale. Although even then it depends on what is in the set.

I thought the movies were not badly received here. I think the major retailers here didn't have good sales for Hobbit wave 2 sets, so wave 3 sets went on almost instant discount as soon as they came out. The crazy thing was that some of them only lasted a few days, showing there was massive demand for them at 50% off - there would probably have been high (but not as high) demand at 20% off. The Lonely Mountain for £50 was a no-brainer - selling Smaug and the minifigs it was easy to recoup that (and more) plus keep all the parts for free. 

I can't speak for everywhere, but the wave 2 sets sold badly here too. Rather than have big discounts for wave 3, we had very limited stock, at the retailer's request. I didn't even see any of it, it sold out that fast. (I had to order from S@H at full price) Perhaps it wasn't a poorly received film that caused your ASDA discounts, but rather your suggestion.

(off topic, but we were talking about it) From what I recall, though, the 3rd movie wasn't considered nearly as favourably as the other 2. The extended edition was much better, but obviously way too late to save the Lego sets, and general public perception. For me personally, I thought the cinema version looked amazing but was over-the-top in action and the cut wasn't executed that well, it was like they rushed to meet the deadline and handed in a substandard unfinished effort. (Anyone who wants to use the argument "it must be good/well-received because a lot of people went to see it" just needs to remember The Phantom Menace)

But regarding %-offs, there's "let's give them an incentive to come in and buy stuff" sales and "let's get rid of these liabilities clogging up shelf space" sales. It's usually pretty obvious when it's the latter! (even though not always warranted - especially with Hobbit 3 sets, I didn't think they were that bad)