Itaria No Shintaku

Is anyone else fearing that Nexo Knights is meaning NO new castle them

Will TLG produce historic castle themes in your opinion while Nexo Knights is in production?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Will TLG produce historic castle themes in your opinion while Nexo Knights is in production?

I really hope Nexo Knights is the new Ninjago in terms of staying power. Knights + sci-if pushes all the right buttons for me. :classic:

I really don't care how long it lasts, as long as they keep traditional Castle going as well. If it is indeed a replacement for Castle, I hope it dies.

At this point, I hope NK dies. Soon. I find its aesthetic insulting, and its existence precludes me from getting something that's actually good. I realize much of this is subjective, but that's my subjective opinion.

I want to see the 2017 wave before I decide how soon I want NK to end. I enjoyed this year's villains but if we truly get some dark forest and water monsters as seen in the book, that could be really incredible. And that sort of fantasy creature has never been seen in a "Castle" theme so its a good chance to get something truly new.

At this point, I hope NK dies. Soon. I find its aesthetic insulting, and its existence precludes me from getting something that's actually good. I realize much of this is subjective, but that's my subjective opinion.

Glad to see someone with me :-)

I want to see the 2017 wave before I decide how soon I want NK to end. I enjoyed this year's villains but if we truly get some dark forest and water monsters as seen in the book, that could be really incredible. And that sort of fantasy creature has never been seen in a "Castle" theme so its a good chance to get something truly new.

I agree with this. Without NK the Water and Plant monsters never would have come to fruition. Say what you want about the Knights themselves (I'm not particularly keen on them or their vehicles), but the fantasy creatures that have come from this theme work very well in a regular castle setting.

However, deciding when you think something should end is pointless, as NK likely has a set run time of three years.

You aren't alone, I almost completely share your opinion on NK. I don't really care for NK sets, so I only bought minifigures, minifigures of the evil faction, specifically. Most of them look useable in a medieval fantasy setting (except for globlins and scurriers, they look a bit too wacky for my tastes). They have decent weapons and equipment either, with the nice large shield being my favourite. Good faction, on the other hand, is rather dull. If they release the Book of Knights, I'm planning to buy the Merlok minifigure which is supposed to be released with the book. But besides that, I'll only buy minifigure headpieces of the good faction on BL, as they have a rather nice variety of facial expressions.

Edited by Sorrelon

Out of curiosity, what part of the above, exactly, did you think was not entirely subjective?

It's a freaking Castle and "is not castle"?? *huh*

It's not just a castle, but the most intricate castle we're likely to ever see. Once your bravest knights have driven out the enormous rodents that are inhabiting it and the castle has been purged of all heretical artifacts, your masons can step in and modify it into the envy of every other faction.

If you only look at things for what they are not instead of what they are and what they could be then you will never be satisfied with anything. If you've been holding out for a set that says "Castle" on it then you should have plenty of money saved up and the cost won't be problem. Then later on when new Castle sets do show up you'll be able to populate it with the new figures from the smaller sets.

Out of curiosity, what part of the above, exactly, did you think was not entirely subjective?

The part about it preventing other castle sets. For instance the recent promo set. I do think NK will keep a whole regular castle theme from happening while it exits though.

I'm anticipating the potential woodland and sea creatures we may get from the future Nexo waves too. They look like they will be great for a medieval fantasy setting, right along with the Fantasy Era monsters. My biggest fear is the absurd futuristic vehicles that will assuredly come with those sets, inflating the prices for a bunch of components I don't want.

I'm anticipating the potential woodland and sea creatures we may get from the future Nexo waves too. They look like they will be great for a medieval fantasy setting, right along with the Fantasy Era monsters. My biggest fear is the absurd futuristic vehicles that will assuredly come with those sets, inflating the prices for a bunch of components I don't want.

Oh please, who wouldn't like a treant that throws plasma-resin bombs shaped like a pinecone and is equipped with power armor and jetpack? Or, a cyborg-leviathan which can function as an underwater base?

...not me, apparently.

I completely agree though. Woodland and sea creatures have a great potential for medieval fantasy setting. But, like they've done with the lava monsters, I expect them to make lots of wacky and weird vehicles and flood the shelves with them.

Sure it'd be better if the sets were less vehicle focused, but its LEGO, build what you want with it. Jestro's castle is going the right direction. The demon figures are a great unique faction and honestly they deserve more MOCs, I need to work on that myself.

Sure it'd be better if the sets were less vehicle focused, but its LEGO, build what you want with it.

Considering Lego's are getting more and more expensive these days (on top of being a VERY expensive toy in the first place), I can't use this rationale to justify purchasing sets I don't like. If there are ever individual components I find useful from sets I don't like....its Bricklink for me...that way I don't have to buy at Lego's premium price for a bunch of stuff I don't want and likely won't use.

Considering Lego's are getting more and more expensive these days (on top of being a VERY expensive toy in the first place), I can't use this rationale to justify purchasing sets I don't like.

What if they go on clearance? If they go the way of Chima, they will be discounted.... and they do have some nice parts.... :grin:

What if they go on clearance? If they go the way of Chima, they will be discounted.... and they do have some nice parts.... :grin:

Now thats something to hope for!

If they go on clearance, it always gives reason for more consideration, but I'd rather be using that same argument for sets I like in the first place, rather than justification to buy something I don't like.

Considering Lego's are getting more and more expensive these days (on top of being a VERY expensive toy in the first place), I can't use this rationale to justify purchasing sets I don't like. If there are ever individual components I find useful from sets I don't like....its Bricklink for me...that way I don't have to buy at Lego's premium price for a bunch of stuff I don't want and likely won't use.

This.

Ninjago, Chima, Nexo Knights... all have interesting parts among them. But I'm not buying an expensive set where half of it is a ridiculous vehicle just for a handful of parts that could be useful for Castle. LEGO is too expensive for that. And buying something you know you don't want is always a waste, no matter the price.

Ninjago, Chima, Nexo Knights... all have interesting parts among them. But I'm not buying an expensive set where half of it is a ridiculous vehicle just for a handful of parts that could be useful for Castle. LEGO is too expensive for that. And buying something you know you don't want is always a waste, no matter the price.

I guess, I just think sometimes it's cheaper to go to the store and buy the discounted Item rather than dealing with all the shipping costs involved in bricklink.

Edited by Mesabi

I do think it is the short term replacement. Interestingly, we had castle along with LotR- I do think the two are distinguishable due to the license though. Big Bang Status means if LEGO thinks Nexo is castle, there will be no competition.

Yeah, there was Castle alongside of LotR, but it was a tiny series, having only 5 sets, no impulses, no expansion later on. It all appeared so, well at best halfhearted. You realized, that Lego didn't expect that much of Castle next to LotR, and tried to be a little bit on the careful side.

I guess same goes for Nexo Knights now. As long as those are around I don't think there will be new Castle. Although Lego certainly didin't forgot us, since Nexos have plenty of references to classic knights even in the comics.

I do think it is the short term replacement. Interestingly, we had castle along with LotR- I do think the two are distinguishable due to the license though. Big Bang Status means if LEGO thinks Nexo is castle, there will be no competition.

Well, if we can take the box and booklet of 5004419 Classic Knights Set as a hint, then yes, Lego indeed thinks Nexo Knights as a Castle theme. I have no idea what makes them think NK is a Castle theme, but it is unfortunate for both Castle builders and collectors.

Yeah, there was Castle alongside of LotR, but it was a tiny series, having only 5 sets, no impulses, no expansion later on. It all appeared so, well at best halfhearted. You realized, that Lego didn't expect that much of Castle next to LotR, and tried to be a little bit on the careful side.

I guess same goes for Nexo Knights now. As long as those are around I don't think there will be new Castle. Although Lego certainly didin't forgot us, since Nexos have plenty of references to classic knights even in the comics.

The thing is, while there are plenty of references to Classic Castle factions (such as heraldry of old factions), none of those parts are useable in Castle builds. It looks like folks at Lego really love to mock us.

Well, if we can take the box and booklet of 5004419 Classic Knights Set as a hint, then yes, Lego indeed thinks Nexo Knights as a Castle theme. I have no idea what makes them think NK is a Castle theme, but it is unfortunate for both Castle builders and collectors.

The thing is, while there are plenty of references to Classic Castle factions (such as heraldry of old factions), none of those parts are useable in Castle builds. It looks like folks at Lego really love to mock us.

I know, its ridiculous! just because one of there vehicles has battlements and they "joust" on robotics horses doesn't make it castle.

The references are a nice touch, perhaps the point they were trying to make was that the NK theme is set years later than castle. A bit like how there are references to the middle ages still around today, well actually, add a hundred years, jousting and chivalry and see how similar the future looks to NK!

Well, they certainly consider that set to be a Knights set, if nothing else.

It looks like folks at Lego really love to mock us.

It really does.

Let's hope that while nexo knights is produced, tlg might come out with another exclusive castle set. Mill village raid and the medieval market have both been sets that have stood out amongst the castle sets at the time of their release. Time for another large and fantastic medieval representation!

I have a feeling that, TLG will make a remake of Vintage sets in 2020.....the last vintage remake set was done in 2001 and 2002 which is almost 20 years from 1980's, so 2020 is also almost 20 years from 2001. ;)

Cheers

Unlikely, since the "LEGO Legends" series from the early naughts was decidedly unsuccessful. LEGO isn't making that mistake again. The classic minifigure sets are one thing, but sets that people are expected to buy rather than just get free with a purchase actually have to be able to make money.

It is both strange and equally weird that TLG listed NK amongst Castle themes, when it absolutely is not a Castle theme, but an Action theme instead. It simply has little to nothing to offer for Castle builders, perhaps with the exception of some parts and minifigures from evil faction(s). And the good faction? Oh no, not with those god-awful tron lines on torsos and legs. But, regardless of that, they consider it so and will not produce a new Castle theme while NK sets are still on shelves. A D2C Castle set in the meantime sounds a bit too far-fetched to me, the best (and the only) Castle-related stuff we're going to get are probably CMFs, until TLG decides to end NK and produce a real Castle theme, whether historical or similar to fantasy era. Even a Castle promo seems impossible to me, since we got one just this year.

"Action themes" is a term Eurobricks invented, not an official category. And frankly LEGO doesn't really tend to care HOW AFOLs classify themes — they don't necessarily break things down internally along the same clear-cut lines sites like Brickset or Bricklink do.

The Disney theme may have parts that can be used for castle building. The Elves theme may have parts that can be used for castle building. The Nexo Knights theme may have parts that can be used for castle building.

But none of them are castle. They're no substitute.

Imagine you going to a restaurant:

You: I'd like a large Coke, please.

Waiter: We don't have Coke, but how about a Dr. Pepper? That's brown as well!

...not really what you would be looking for, eh? :tongue:

Since Dr. Pepper is better than Coke, it's actually a pretty apt comparison.

(KIDDING! KIDDING! :tongue: )

Note the name of the set. It's "Classic Knights Set", not "Classic Castle Set". As such, the timeline it comes with can be considered a timeline of KNIGHT minifigures, not Castle minifigures. For comparison's sake, the timelines in the Classic Spaceman Minifigure set include sets such as 1682 (a Town/Flight set), 6339 (a Town/Launch Command set), 6458 (a Town/Space Port set), 7469 (a Discovery Channel set). Even in the minifigure lineup, it includes an astronaut from 10213 (an Advanced Models/Creator Expert set, with figs categorized as Town figs on BrickLink). But even though not all of these sets are considered part of the Space theme, they all count the Classic Spaceman as part of their design heritage. Likewise, whether or not you care for Nexo Knights or consider it a Castle theme, there's no denying that minifigures like Clay Moorington takes cues from the knight minifigures that came before him.

For that matter, the timelines in the instructions of the Classic Pirate Set include 70810 (a LEGO Movie set), 7070 and 7075 (4+/4 Juniors sets). If it had come out this year, then chances are it might've included one of this year's Ninjago sky pirates as well! And yet, I recall no torches and pitchforks when that set came out, no people claiming that a set paying earnest tribute to Pirates fans was mocking them. At worst, some people were disappointed that the build itself wasn't as faithful to the actual classics as the Spaceman set had been.

All it takes is a cursory analysis of this series of retro sets to realize that the inclusion of Nexo Knights in this set's timeline ultimately has no bearing on what theme it falls under — just on what it traces its roots to.

Or maybe they just expect grown-ups not to whine so much about not everything being all about them…