Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2017 - Set Discussion

Just now, SpiderJazz said:

Hopefully they will have Black Panther sets in the display' 

I'm expecting Mighty Micros again, since we already know rumors of what some of them contain. But Black Panther sets would just be incredible!

5 minutes ago, Aegis2000 said:

I'm expecting Mighty Micros again, since we already know rumors of what some of them contain. But Black Panther sets would just be incredible!

MMs are great but not in that great as BP if they're going to build the hype with all the banners outside the convention, I hope they will show those set(s). And Infinity War tease too! 

Apparently there has been a bit of a fan backlash on social media regarding the SDCC exclusive Brickheadz. Uncharacteristically, Lego have responded, according to Brickfanatics.

'Traditional' is a very weak excuse in my opinion. I'm not collecting Brickheadz and am trying to view this impartially but I don't understand why they have chosen such a high profile pairing. IF they were variants or less high profile I could understand but Spider-man and Venom have a very strong following of collectors, not only from Lego fans, so competition will be even greater for those people who genuinely want to own this set.

I also think this also means that there will be a lot of sad children out there. Is there some way that the weight of opinion from the rest of the world could lobby Lego to stop doing this at all? I find store exclusivity a bit of a tough pill to swallow, so these convention exclusives seem to me to be a step too far, whether they're 'traditional' or not.

If there is a regular release of these individually, I think that's fine, otherwise I think it's a really sad and strange way for any company to behave, especially one that is so very, very good to their customers from many other perspectives!

25 minutes ago, badgerboy said:

Apparently there has been a bit of a fan backlash on social media regarding the SDCC exclusive Brickheadz. Uncharacteristically, Lego have responded, according to Brickfanatics.

'Traditional' is a very weak excuse in my opinion. I'm not collecting Brickheadz and am trying to view this impartially but I don't understand why they have chosen such a high profile pairing. IF they were variants or less high profile I could understand but Spider-man and Venom have a very strong following of collectors, not only from Lego fans, so competition will be even greater for those people who genuinely want to own this set.

I also think this also means that there will be a lot of sad children out there. Is there some way that the weight of opinion from the rest of the world could lobby Lego to stop doing this at all? I find store exclusivity a bit of a tough pill to swallow, so these convention exclusives seem to me to be a step too far, whether they're 'traditional' or not.

If there is a regular release of these individually, I think that's fine, otherwise I think it's a really sad and strange way for any company to behave, especially one that is so very, very good to their customers from many other perspectives!

I suspect some version of a Spider-Man and Venom will come out, but so far Superman from last year still hasn't happened. If LEGO really chooses to lock up several of the most recognizable, desired, and profitable characters for a brand new and popular line for the sake of making a couple thousand scalpers very happy it will cause a great deal of ill will. The tradition argument is weak and silly.

41 minutes ago, badgerboy said:

Tradition? How long have they been releasing SDCC exclusives?

I wish they'd just release exclusive builds like the Throne of Ultron. At least that way we don't miss out on figures and you can always bricklink the parts if you really want it. Make the packaging the exclusive part.

although i don't like it, i get it why they make exclusives like the sdcc ones. It contributes to being a highly wanted toy brand. So i say they have to stick with it. 

now i'm going to cry somewhere.

1 hour ago, Borex said:

although i don't like it, i get it why they make exclusives like the sdcc ones. It contributes to being a highly wanted toy brand. So i say they have to stick with it. 

now i'm going to cry somewhere.

Can I join you? :cry_sad: Lol. Well it is what it is, I really love that Venom, I know we could get a Spiderman (in homecoming version) but Venom it is the only wayyyyy~!

Honestly I'm not sure why Lego does do exclusives. What do they gain from appeasing like 100 people and pissing off thousands? 

I used to work making promotional toys, so I understand the marketing drives behind the exclusive sets, I know how these things are orchestrated to create a buzz and a "must have" mentality among the specific demographic.

The same impact is created when the product is more like the "space slug" or the "cell block" and they're not made from unique parts.

A posh box, a certificate, a display stand and even fairly rare pieces could be utilised. I think that even if it was simply a early release (six months perhaps?) of a batch production run (numbered too!) that would be enough. The issue, for me at least, is who is being "pleased" by this and who is benefiting.

Just now, Ultron said:

Honestly I'm not sure why Lego does do exclusives. What do they gain from appeasing like 100 people and pissing off thousands? 

Knowing that they don't profit bout those prices set by "scalpers".

1 hour ago, badgerboy said:

I used to work making promotional toys, so I understand the marketing drives behind the exclusive sets, I know how these things are orchestrated to create a buzz and a "must have" mentality among the specific demographic.

The same impact is created when the product is more like the "space slug" or the "cell block" and they're not made from unique parts.

A posh box, a certificate, a display stand and even fairly rare pieces could be utilised. I think that even if it was simply a early release (six months perhaps?) of a batch production run (numbered too!) that would be enough. The issue, for me at least, is who is being "pleased" by this and who is benefiting.

Sure. Sell a numbered box at SDCC and then six months later the plebs can get the same exact thing minus the gold numbers anywhere LEGO is sold. It cuts down the motivation of the scalpers as they will never get the same kind of markup they do now, still gives collectors something to chase after and allows the general public (you know the other 99.5% of their customer base) a chance at getting the stuff they want.

It doesn't look like Lego's Loki figure is inaccurate anymore. I'm pretty sure his costume is blue in the movie since the Funko POP figure of him revealed today also has a blue outfit. 

Just now, GoldenNinja3000 said:

It doesn't look like Lego's Loki figure is inaccurate anymore. I'm pretty sure his costume is blue in the movie since the Funko POP figure of him revealed today also has a blue outfit. 

(Those Funko figures actually look really good!) The rest seem to be very similar to the Lego counterparts, although I'm not sure if the Hela minifigure has green eyes?

Side note: we got a Lego minifigure of every one of those characters, save Heindall! That's worth lamenting.

Seeing LEGO announced Spider-Man and Venom Brickheadz Monday and now Supergirl and Martian Manhunter today, I think tomorrow will be the final marvel reveal and I'm going to guess it will be Thor and Loki. This is only if they do four SDCC exclusive brickheadz sets like last year. 

11 minutes ago, Invincible_LEGOMAN said:

Seeing LEGO announced Spider-Man and Venom Brickheadz Monday and now Supergirl and Martian Manhunter today, I think tomorrow will be the final marvel reveal and I'm going to guess it will be Thor and Loki. This is only if they do four SDCC exclusive brickheadz sets like last year. 

Think that's it for brickheadz, yeah I'm pretty sure about that.

Just now, Amazing Bricks said:

Think that's it for brickheadz, yeah I'm pretty sure about that.

Maybe for Marvel, but not for Brickheadz. The boxes are numbered, and we're missing 09 through 12.

1 hour ago, Aegis2000 said:

Maybe for Marvel, but not for Brickheadz. The boxes are numbered, and we're missing 09 through 12.

Ooh, I didn't catch that. Well, I'm not the biggest fan of brickheadz so I don't mind them being exclusive. I do feel for you guys who want to collect them though.

4 hours ago, Aegis2000 said:

Aren't 9-12 the Disney Brickheadz, or do the SDCC exclusives have their own numbering with the SDCC Brickheadz from last year counted as 1-8?

27 minutes ago, PickleManDan said:

Aren't 9-12 the Disney Brickheadz, or do the SDCC exclusives have their own numbering with the SDCC Brickheadz from last year counted as 1-8?

Check the set number. SDCC 2016 are 41490~41493, now 41497 Spider-Man & Venom then 41496 Supergirl & Martian Manhunter are revealed.  There are still 2 sets to come. 

Not so impressed when Brickheadz series out, but they are really adorable when you put them on the shelf or desk.  

I like how DC gets variant brickheads from a TV show, while the Marvel ones are two extremely popular characters from comics. Seems fair. 

Edited by Ultron

18 hours ago, Invincible_LEGOMAN said:

hmmm. 

Yessssss! The reign of rare, never seen again minifigures seems to be over. We are free!!!! 

We have broken them!!!!! :grin:

I feel very empowered right now

I'm interested about the tweet where they replied. Because probably it's just asking for more Brickheadz not the figs that is exclusive. But who knows? If that's the case then I'm glad because we are free. 

'