Playwell Bricks

Looking for feedback on Stop Motion and review video

Hi!

Lovely place you have here!

I am looking for some feedback on my first YouTube video. It is aimed at helping kids learn to build with Lego bricks. It is a bit wacky and I hope fun for kids to watch.

I just began venturing into stop motion and making YouTube videos so am open to any critiques you can offer.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Playwell Bricks

Thanks for posting!

I'm really glad you're actively seeking feedback. That's a fantastic way to improve.

There are two major things you will want to work on. The first is smoothing out your animation. Have you ever heard the term 'easing?' I explain it a bit more in the lesson that I wrote, but it's a technique where you begin a motion in small increments that get bigger toward the middle, then slow down again at the end. That way, the motion looks more smooth and natural than it would otherwise. Practicing that will help your movements become less jerky and jumpy.

The second is simple. Bring your camera down into the Lego world. You've got it was up and out, and the guys at the bottom of the frame. This distance from them creates the perception of distance from the characters. In other words, people can't get as immersed in the film if the camera is not. So bring it down, and bring the guys more into the frame. Have you heard of the "Rule of Thirds?" That would help your framing a lot.

Hope this is helpful. Keep practicing, and thanks again for posting!

Thanks for replying and giving me some great advice! I appreciate anyone taking the time to help me out :)

I have been learning by the seat of my pants, I haven't look at any tutorials so anything is a help!

I will give those recommendations a try in my next video.

I have one ready to go up tomorrow or the next day depending upon how much time I have to work on it between now and them.

What software does everyone use? Right now I am using GIMP as my photo editor, Audacity for audio and Windows Movie Maker to pull it together.

Thanks again!

It took me bit longer to get this out than I anticipated but it is finally up.

I practiced easing on the intro to the video and I doubled the frames. I think it looks much smoother. The rest of the video was filmed before I looked into easing so that is all still choppy. My next video should be a lot smoother as I apply easing and a higher frame rate.