Mr Greeble

What Modular Should I Buy?

I did not like the car and the amound of stickers, But, the building it self is a fun build and it looks like a real Cinema, very nice corner pease, nice colours, when you put him in your city it realy grows on you

- I find the petshop the best building experience

I got the Palace Cinema last Christmas. Before I wasn't sure if I should get that one, because I didn't feel overwhelmed by the pictures of this one and, like you, I don't think I'll ever be able to collect all modulars anyway.

But considering the set can be discontinued soon and there was a big chance I would regret it, I ordered it.

Now I display the Palace Cinema next to the Pet Shop buildings and the Detective's Office, and every time I watch them, I end up staring at the Palace Cinema. The facade of the building is well-balanced and stylish. I love the building.

There are some things I had liked to see different: I consider some modification to the car and the interior, only six seats in a cinema is few.

I've read about people who don't like the roof, but the front sight of it is just perfect. The backside isn't polished, but in my opinion that fits the theme perfectly. It's like film scenery, it's function is visual effect.

The Palace sign is unstable and mine has fallen off once when I moved the modular, I had to replace some damaged bricks. I haven't experienced problems with it since the building is displayed.

I love this glamorous modular and if I had the choice to make again, I would buy it right away.

Get the brick bank. It is by far the best modular to date. The intricate interior details make this set special and unique.

The Brick Bank will be my Christmas gift ^^ I will have 150€ to spend in a great set : Palace Cinema or Fairground Mixer? Don't know... The Palace Cinema will fit with the other modulars but the Mixer is a great set with lot of play features, minifigures, can be motorized and stored easily!

I would recommend getting 2 of the palace cinema do you can get a large theater and more impressive facade. It is also better in person than in pictures. I highly recommend it. Be warned though, my wife was furious when I got the brick bank and threw away the reciept.

I have never had any problems with the sign falling off. Overall I think this is a pretty decent set. I would make improvements to it, but I don't have the money.

Two modular purchasing advice topics have been merged with this one. We don't need a another advice topic for purchasing modulars with each inquiry.

I like the front of the cinema, there are nice details, but i would like to know if the sign "Palace" is stable, steady? Some people said it can goes wrong, falling on the right or on the left. Did you noticed this issue on your respective sets?

I moved the Palace Cinema inside the house several times and did not have the impression that the sign is unstable or even falling off the building. If you like the look of this modular I'd say go for it as its architectural style is very unique among the sets of this line.

Goodday to you all

So enjoy the posts and amazing creations on this site.  Been many a dark years but the force has pulled me back to my roots!

I have purchased the Pet Sop recently and have been converted to the modular series.  I would like to take advantage of the double points offer from the Lego Shop this weekend.  Which of the following should i purchase next?

Parisian Restaurant or Detective's Office?

Thanks for your expert advice in advance!

Joe

I own both. The PR is amazing. It is amazingly detailed. altough i find the DO better looking.

If you want a detailed interior you should get the PR. but i would reccomend the DO. simply for its looks

I own Palace Cinema, Pet Shop and Detective's Office. The interior details are nice in most of the modulars but for display purposes the exterior is more important in my opinion. For that reason I picked the Detective's Office, but I would still like to get Parisian Restaurant as well.

Edited by fordtruckin
Spelling

Hey JLSD,

Welcome to the modular addiction group :laugh:

I own all modulars; from PR and DA I like PR best; great design, colours and details.
It also depends on how often you plan to buy a modular, and if you want to collect as many as possible, or only the ones you like.
PR is older, so it will "probably" retire before DA.
There are a few still on sale that are older, like Palace cinema, I think.
So if you don't want to miss out, buy the oldest one first. Pet shop (one of my favourites) was the odd one out, I think, because it was so popular.

Keep clicking those bricks together.

It's always wise to buy the oldest sets first so in this case Parisian Restaurant (or Palace Cinema if you really like it). Not sure what your budget is, but check eBay and maybe pick up Town Hall if you can find a deal; personally I wouldn't have a problem with buying one which was previously assembled because I don't really care about the boxes.

2 hours ago, JLSD said:

I have purchased the Pet Sop recently and have been converted to the modular series.  I would like to take advantage of the double points offer from the Lego Shop this weekend.  Which of the following should i purchase next?

Parisian Restaurant or Detective's Office?

I have merged this with an existing thread.

I vote for the Parisian Restaurant, got it a few weeks ago and I loved building it. And after finishing it, it looks so pretty! :wub: It is my third modular, after the Grand Emporium and Pet Shop. No plans to buy the cinema, detective office or bank. Assembly square will (probably) be the next one.

I don't know if it should be asked here, but I'd like to have your thoughts/opinions. I've already bought the PS, DO, PR, BB, PC, and next year the AS will be part of my collection. Now, my question is, how should I buy the rest of the remaining modulars? Buy them by set or by pieces? Honestly, I prefer the latter, so I wondered, how should I do that? I mean, hunt for the original molds pieces, or don't care with them, and go with the newest molds alongside with the pieces which are absent from today's offer? What do you think?

A year ago I did have the same modulars as you do now, plus the GE. This year I completed my collection, although I don't have build all of them yet.

I began with collecting the pieces for the CC. Some bricks aren't available anymore, or they do cost a lot, so I made some changes. I replaced the original doors by 6-high doors and therefore I had to make a few modifications in the structure around them. The dark blue arches were too pricey, so I changed the dark blue in dark grey. I also used newer windows on the higher floors. You'll have to replace some turntables to 2x2 plates with one stud, as you'll have difficulties finding them in the correct colours. Recently I made the cafe sign with the new skis. The old ones would look a bit better, but I don't think it's worth the price. I'm very pleased with the overall result!

It was my plan only making a CC, but as you all know how addictive the modulars are, I was seduced by the boxed Town Hall and Fire Brigade. They were expensive, but I don't know if I could find all the necessary pieces, or that it would be cheaper in the end than what I paid now. Plus I had experienced while building my version of the CC that it had costed me a lot of time collecting all the pieces and figuring out solutions for parts I couldn't find anymore.

After owning them, I couldn't resist collecting the pieces for the GG and the MS. Pieces, as those original sets are way too pricey for me! I didn't go for the sand green bricks with groove, as they costed a lot! I went for masonry profile bricks, and made some modifications on the left side of the GG so the whole front would be masonry. If Lego produces the sand green bricks with groove again, I'll consider buying them. I also changed the 1x8 sand green bricks by shorter ones, as they were pricey too!

For the MS, I have modded the modular in colour and a bit in structure into something I like more. I think the most difficult parts would be the dark blue arches, the black owl, the green wig and the white tubes.

Some minifigures are hard to find, but I didn't mind a few changes.

Good luck with what you choose to do!