Jim

BuWizz - High Performance LEGO Power Functions Controller and Battery

Roni just said on the Kickstarter page :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/973645257/buwizz-remote-control-for-lego-models/comments

that the shipments will be in waves every day and some will go out next week. So even if we had the mail, the buwizz are not necessarily on their way. We just have to wait for a few days.

I think that the bricks are sent according to the backer number and I'm in the latest ones, so it will probably for next week for me as well.

Edited by Eolindel
precisions

Just got mine today! If I could only get the app to drive it :) I've put the Terex on hold, 1 Buwizz brick is really not enough... Might be able to power the ultimate Porsche? Trust I get access to the app soon.

Hi,

Have got my BuWizz. Anyone has any idea how to create own profile, instead of using the 3 pre-defined profiles in the Android app? Like controlling on/off of LED lights, controlling of 4 motors of same function via 2/3/4 ports, etc.??

Thank you for all replies.

Rgds

Received mine yesterday afternoon. After coming home from work, installed the app (android) and drove my first model powered by Buwizz! Must say the app still needs work, within the app I have to "start engine" numerous times to connect to the Buwizz. Once connected it works fine during that session.

Hi there,

at the moment it's not possible to create own profiles. The BuWizz guys told me, that this will be changed with one of the next app versions.

@m3eu: In the iOS app I had to connect the BuWizz just once for the session. But I had the problem, that it lost connection from time to time.

12 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Has anyone received a message from DHL about shipping info?  I received an email Monday but nothing has happened since.

Mine were shipped with normal postage service as registered mail. So I didn't get status updates. The small parcel arrived after about four or five days. So I hope you get it today or Monday.

Hi,

Question to BuWizz team: when are you planning to publish the BLE protocol? I have plans with it... :)

Get my BuWizz yesterday. 
But I received only 1 Buwizz instead of 2. (my pledge was for 2x BuWizz).
Delivered via DHL express, so I don't think that the second was stolen, looks like it wasn't put in the box. I write to the BuWizz support on email - still no answer. Who I should contact? 

5 hours ago, Andy48 said:

Get my BuWizz yesterday. 
But I received only 1 Buwizz instead of 2. (my pledge was for 2x BuWizz).
Delivered via DHL express, so I don't think that the second was stolen, looks like it wasn't put in the box. I write to the BuWizz support on email - still no answer. Who I should contact? 

Perhaps just give them a little more time. They have been pretty good at getting back with me. 

Sorry, no time for english titles, but you can understand what I mean. If somebody want to help me with titiles - this will be cool!

Buwizz disassemble and internals review. Voltage check. Testing with Sbrick and PF IR.

Warranty void if disassemble, do not repeat!

Edited by rm8

Can anyone fill me in on how BuWizz works just as a battery? I'm thinking of dropping it straight into a MOC for students to use but I won't be able to use my phone if I take it into a school.

1 hour ago, Jay Psi said:

Can anyone fill me in on how BuWizz works just as a battery? I'm thinking of dropping it straight into a MOC for students to use but I won't be able to use my phone if I take it into a school.

Since communication protocol is open, you can control it whether Bluetooth even from computer. BUT first someone should develop such application for pc/Mac 

Egor, thank you for a great review! My little inner gremlin is happy and will avoid of BuWizz disassembling. To recap, let me provide a sort summary in English:

First of all, the power:
  1. Slow mode - 5.2 V. Unfortunately it's only mode that works by default without BuWizz app loading, so it's a voltage, provided as a power source only. Otherwise you'll need to control BuWizz and another device (Sbrick or IR receiver) as well.
  2. Normal mode - 7.3 V. Initially it was about a usual voltage of Lego power sources (or supposed to be at least), but now it's lower.
  3. LiPo (for reference) - ≤8.3 V (8.3 - only fully charged). In the middle between Normal and Fast modes, as you can see, but will actually should be closer to Normal mode during the play.
  4. Fast mode - 9.3 V.
  5. And no Ludicrous mode, as we didn't beat a necessary amount :)
There is a chart that could help with a better understanding:
ByWizz_Voltage.png

It was higher for a prototype, but Egor explained that one of his BuWizz bricks burned down because of two buggy motors installed at this green Off-roader that drifted so nice. Therefore it's not so monstrous now, but stable and shouldn't burn something :)
Hopefully they will adjust these values a bit in further.

And other values from 18:39 time point:
  1. Output Voltage: 5-10 V, stabilized
  2. Max continuous power total: 40 W
  3. Max continuous current per channel: 3A (each channel has an independent motor driver DRV8833)
  4. Max current per channel: 4 A (a peak one)
  5. Battery capacity: 6.5 Wh (two 850 MAh batteries)
Edited by Void_S
rm8's remark

18 hours ago, Void_S said:

3. Normal mode - 7.3 V. Initially it was about a usual voltage of Lego power sources (or supposed to be at least), but now it's lower.
  4. LiPo (for reference) - 8.3 V. In the middle between Normal and Fast modes, as you can see.

Little, but important remark: 8,3 V - is fully charged lego Lipo. This voltage will fall down during play until 6-7 volt. And 7,3 v of Buwizz should be stable till batteries discharge point. 

Edited by rm8

4 minutes ago, rm8 said:

Little, but important remark: 8,3 V - is fully charged lego Lipo. This voltage will l fall down during play until 6-7 volt. And 7,3 v of Buwizz should be stable till batteries discharge point. 

Fixed, thank you. Almost forgot about this variety for the LiPo :wink:

3 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

Is the Buwizz ios app available yet. Still not on app store!!

Egor explained in the video that you need to send your apple id to the developers team and they will let you download the app. 

10 minutes ago, LXF said:

Egor explained in the video that you need to send your apple id to the developers team and they will let you download the app. 

Yep. They will sent an invite through TestFligth app. They did it for me but, sadly, it does work only with iOS 9.3 or newer. Still I am very interested if this is the final version or there will be some major changes. 

Removed

Edited by kbalage
Removed the chart, I made some further tests and different motors from the same type had different results (more than 10% +/-), probably due to age or condition. Don't want people to have incorrect conclusions based on my data

Hi kbalage,

Your tests would prove the Buwizz to be only faster when in FAST mode, compared to the 8878. Playing with mine I don't 'sence' this difference that way.

I must say the downtweaked Buwizz is slowed down quite a bit compared to the production version. Perhaps the Buwizz team would like to elaborate?

This is a small presentation/review of BuWizz controller. I got it some time ago, and I must say, I am very pleased with it.

This presentation is for those who still haven't decided whether they want it or not, it is no in-depth technical analysis, but rather a common builder's view on a new way to control LEGO models.

As most of us already know, BuWizz is high performance remote control system and battery box for LEGO® Power Functions.

PROS

• Easy to setup and use
  • Smooth controls
  • 3 speed modes
  • Able to control up to 2 XL motors per channel, in fast mode.
  • More powerful and more range than regular LEGO rechargeable battery box + IR receiver
  • Compact size, it has footprint of just two IR Receivers
  • Lots of ways to connect it to your model, I build in ModelTeam style a lot, so brick-shape is really great for me.
  • Battery and receiver in one package
  • Generally very stable app, despite the very first 1.0 Android app version. It never crashed, only lost connection once in a 8 hours testing, and numerous on/off.

CONS

• 1.0 Android app has 3 predefined profiles: Car, Loader and Crane, with fixed joystick and sliders position and orientation. Hope we will get a customizable layout very soon.
  • Lost connection once (not really a major issue with early app, but fair to mention)
  • Studless builders (who form a major part of AFOLs) would probably like more attachment points on sides of the case.
  • If your model needs more than 4 channels, you need additional BuWizz

Conclusion:

Since I do not own any other non-LEGO controller, I can't compare it to them. But I can compare it with LEGO IR, even though it is not fair to compare new BT controlled product with old IR system. But as always, this can additionally motivate LEGO to bring us its own new controlling system.

So, BuWizz really did well. It performs great, controls are smooth and responsive, and power delivered to the motors is noticeably greater than LEGO rechargeable box. Not sure how greater, but enough for motors to sound differently and for a model to perform more agile and with more power. Not to mention that it can be controlled via smartphone at long range, with gradually accelerating/decelerating motions. And for me, all of this is a big step forward. I can truly recommend it. 

VIDEO:

Sorry for quality of some pictures in the video.

Well, maybe a stupid question, but how it works just with a Lego LED? I suppose that it must be activated from the application and there is no way to set some socket active by default and use it like a simple power source like it was for LiPo and other PF batteries (LED requires power on the main and control lines both). Isn't? I'm still waiting for my piece of power and wondering if someone has already tested it.

Edited by Void_S

40 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Well, maybe a stupid question, but how it works just with a Lego LED? I suppose that it must be activated from the application and there is no way to set some socket active by default and use it like a simple power source like it was for LiPo and other PF batteries (LED requires power on the main and control lines both). Isn't? I'm still waiting for my piece of power and wondering if someone has already tested it.

Not so stupid question. I tested it. At the moment you can't power the LED with the BuWizz with a simple button in the app. You can use the sliders, but then the LED will glow only as long as you hold the slider. On my question the BuWizz team told me, in the version there will be buttons and individual setups.

I'm intending to use BuWizz for my train MOCs, as it should be more powerful and much easier to hide than battery box + IR receiver.
For that purpose, it would be handy to have the option to lock the sliders, so that they don't return to centre when you let loose. Maybe this could be realized within one of the next app versions?

Question for the group....did everyone receive an email asking for updated shipping information before their units were sent? I never did......wondering if I should expect such an email...