WesternOutlaw

Super Chief vs. BNSF

What's a better Lego model? The Santa Fe Super Chief or the BNSF?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What's a better Lego model? The Santa Fe Super Chief or the BNSF?

• Santa Fe Super Chief (10020)
    • Burlington Northern Santa Fe (10133)

traintech1.jpg

A face-off between two of Lego's most detailed train engines. Which do you think is a better model?

The Santa Fe Super Chief (or) the Burlington Northern Santa Fe locomotive

I will delay my vote till I get the Burlington ;)

Between the 2, I only have the Super Chief which is for me (till now) the best train Engine that Lego ever made ;)

The Burlington looks also amazing ;) Cannot wait to get mine.

EDIT: after watching pics of the Burlington, I voted for the Super Chief because of its shape and colors ;)

I have both and although I like the colors of the BNSF, I think the Super Chief is still a better model. I particularly like the removable roof with detailed engine compartment which the BNSF lacks. In addition, I think it's neat how Lego did the first 10,000 numbered sets (esp if you got one).

I have neither and probably will get neither, however I'll still vote! But is it possible to post some pictures before I do so?

I have to disagree. I like both the real engine and the model. I just think the Super Chief has a better interior design. The outer BNSF is pretty detailed and the new dark green and orange look great.

Both of these are absolutely wonderful diesel engines and I'm just happy to see that LEGO have decided to recreate them in bricks in such a detailed way. Their exact colour schemes and almost impeccable representation of the original engines automatically turns these two into some of the best LEGO train sets that ever came out.

As far as the BNSF engine is concerned, I believe it represents a General Motors Electro-Motive Division EMD GP-38 four-axle loc - an engine widely popular towards the end of the 60s. It did never even come close to the popularity of Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe Super Chief, which was also built by General Motors more or less during the same period, however The Super Chief was so immensely popular not only because it defined "streamlined America", an era of design history which we all look back to and marvel at, but also because it was one of the best engines of its day and so was used to transport hundreds of Holywood stars across America.

The EMD GP-38 (the BNSF train), a.k.a. the Geep, was never even aiming at becoming a legendary train, hence its more "typical" form - it did however provide great reliability at a relatively low cost of operation. In my mind, I've always imagined the GP-38 diligently hauling cattle, pulpwood or coal across America while the Super Chief makes its way between Los Angeles and Chicago like a railway supermodel. So there you have it, the Super Chief's appeal is understandably bigger than that of the GP-38 - not only because of its design, but also because of its huge role in American railway history. But that doesn't mean the BNSF train isn't worth having...

Now, I personally would love to own both, but so far have only found the Super Chief at a reasonable price - fortunately, like most of you, it is also my favourite between these two. So I'm currently looking at a few possibilities and if I'm lucky I might post a hands-on review of a trains fan who never owned a LEGO train but somehow managed to get his paws on the Super Chief. If not... I'll just keep on dreaming. But I'll do my best to own both these models sooner rather than later (especially with them becoming increasingly hard to find and expensive) - just like any other LEGO train fan out there.

Edit: Checked my facts. The BNSF train is actually an EMD GP-38, and not a "U-boat" GE U-class as I had first thought.

Edited by TheOtters

I sometime enjoy seeing these old topics resurface. There's another more recent face-off that also includes the Hobby Train. Let me see if I can find.

Yes, here it is: Triple Train Engine Face-Off

Great train facts that you've shared re. these two superb engines, Otters! While the Santa Fe Super Chief is a superb model in every way, I must say that I love the colors of the BNSF, and having used orange and dark green, two newer colors in the official Lego palette, the BNSF just looks fantastic. I still lean toward the Super Chief, but it's a close decision for me. I'm going to have to break them out and line them up side-by-side to compare. Perhaps I'll share some shots on EB.

Great train facts that you've shared re. these two superb engines, Otters!

Thanks mate, and you can stick to Bobby... My better half doesn't write in the forum, she just sticks to reading every now and then :classic:

As for the Super Chief - fingers crossed, I WILL be reviewing that one in a few weeks' time!!! It's all in the hands of the European postal services right now... :cry_happy::grin:

Speaking of which, has anyone of you tried fitting the Super Chief and/or the BNSF GP-38 with PF motors and lights? How does it look, does it take a lot of rearrangement, is it even possible... or should I just go and buy a regular 9V motor for my first LEGO train?

Edited by TheOtters

Wow - this topic started when I didn´t even think of Lego related internet. :cry_happy:

I chose the Super Chief, but "just" because of the fantastic cars you get with set 10022 and 10025. The BNSF only comes with the loco, in my opnion it would have outrun the Santa Fe if it had come with cars as well. The colors are so much better on the BNSF than the Santa Fe, whose cars are grey, very grey.

The way I got to my Santa Fe was, when I browsed a local toy store. They had three 10020 SF locos and a couple of 10025 cars waiting on the shelves to get bought. I couldn´t resist - they still were at the old price tag: 39,99€! :cry_happy:

At bricklink I bought all the missing bricks to build the 10022 cars from the 10025 ones. This was the first and (propably) last time I bought in the U.S. This particular parcel got stuck at customs. :hmpf:

It finally went all perfectly but that were some sleepless nights...

I voted SF because of the reasons that others have said (superior interior). When looking at the links I was suprised to see that they were on the Lego site and that the avalibility says Sorry, item is not available in this country: United States. Why is this? Are these sets avalible in other countries- unlikely or is this just left over?

Burlington is my choice. I love the way orange was incorporate into it and I think it looks more "lego-y".

Well guys, I just couldn't resist the temptation and got the GP-38 as well... eBay has been good to me these last few weeks :tongue:

Unlike the Super chief, it will be arriving via a friend sometime later on during the summer (July/ August), but when we get both we'll do a review with a side-by-side comparison. I know both of these sets are getting a bit old, but coupled together with the Emerald Night they're hands down the best locos LEGO has ever produced, so I hope such a review will still be worth a look...

BNSF. Got it X-mas '04, my brothet got the Super Chief. I always loved mine, and if I can find the instructions, I'm going to try and source the pieces and rebuild it. I love it so!

~A.S.

Santa Fe!!!

The overall colour scheme and face of the Santa Fe appealed more to me than the BNSF... Maybe i like orange more than green?? :tongue:

The overall colour scheme and face of the Santa Fe appealed more to me than the BNSF... Maybe i like orange more than green?? :tongue:

The Super Chief has no orange elements, the GP-38 is in green and orange... :pir-look:

Anyway, we just received the Chief yesterday and got around to building it today... :cry_happy: :cry_happy: :cry_happy: I'm a happy baby man! However, the review will have to wait until I'm done with my exams (~3 weeks)

Oooppsss.. Sorry i just realised my eyes are making tricks for me...

Thanks for pointing that out bro! Yap, i guess Red and gray looks better than orange and green for me... ~

Overall, the Santa Fe really looks great for a Freight Locomotive ~

Cheers!

I voted for BNSF. The Super Chief looks great, but is too specific. You can't really use it for something else than the Santa Fe cars. The BNSF can be used for many different cargo trains. It was a close one, however.

Prefmotive.png

TLG has released two Santa Fe locomotives: A Super Chief one (10020) and a BNSF one (10133). I prefer 10020, maybe that is because I like passenger trains much better than Cargo trains. :tongue: Which do you prefer?

I like the color sceme of 10133 and the shape of 10020. :sceptic: 10020's overall design is great and the colors aren't that bad. 10133 is great too, I absoultely love the colors! The dark green and orange combo is great! I also love it's shape. It looks like a older train. I'm not positive. I'm saying 10133 for now. :wink: