Everyone and their grandma have built a telehandler model, and here's my take on the subject.

001.jpg

This is my most complicated model yet, and the development history started back in January, 2013. This model was always the too-complicated one that was cast aside for other models (mainly much simpler cars).

This is a manual model with motorized functions.

Features:

-outriggers

-boom elevation

-boom extension (1 section)

-pallet fork elevation

-automatic pallet fork leveling (the fork stays in level during boom elevation/extension)

-pendular rear suspension

-3 steering modes: 4-wheel, normal and crab (Barman's linkage)

-working steering wheel and HOG

-opening doors

The functions are powered with three L-motors, two of which are powering the elevation.

There is a gearbox for two operation modes: boom elevation+extension and outriggers+fork elevation.

The functions can be operated with two PF pole reversers.

p1470861_.jpg

p1470870_.jpg

p1470869_.jpg

p1470941_.jpg

p1480019_.jpg

p1470944_.jpg

p1470871_.jpg

p1470880_.jpg

p1470873_.jpg

The model went through some complete start-overs, and the final build started at the beginning of May. Everything was restarted from scratch except for the overall look, the boom and part of the gearbox.

The main booster of the final building course was the introduction of the new Claas model, which didn't have a fake engine and driveline. This encouraged me to make this trade-off too (it's good enough for TLG too, and a fake driveline isn't really adding anything to playability). This saved a lot of space and making the axles sturdy became much simpler.

Another booster was relocating the L-motors above the front axle, which also gave a lot of space. The model became quite lightly packed and tidy.

Luckily, Barman also posted his idea how the steering in the Claas model is probably built, and I could incorporate and improve his design. I had another system too, but that sometimes jammed because of the knob gears it used.

I improved Barman's initial design by adding a carriage for the link between the front and rear linkage. The rear part is also operated by a carriage, so the whole steering linkage is only 2 studs high. And also everything is doubled to reduce backlash. The system works surprisingly well.

p1480029_.jpg

functions.jpg

p1480048_.jpg

The fork leveling is simply solved by connecting the fork drivetrain and the boom elevation drivetrain with a proper gear ratio. The leveling is always driven by the motors. This also means that the boom elevation and the fork angle can be independently moved in only two gearbox states. This doesn't reduce playability, since due to the auto leveling, one hardly has to adjust the fork angle.

The maximum angle and length of the boom is quite limited (the above picture shows the maximum angle and length), probably the motors and linear actuators could handle a bit more, but this would require quite some redesign (gearbox for proper auto-levelling, mounting points of the LA, etc).

The model is built from about 2100 parts.

Video will be ready in a few weeks (or months) and the steering will be explained in detail.

More pictures can be found here, if the folder becomes public:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=560009

Edited by Lipko

I have been quite reluctant on spending my money on Lego recently because I've already had quite a number of big Technic sets, but if yours were on sale I'll buy with no hesitation!

This is easily one of the best telehandlers Technic I've seen. :thumbup: Especially love the automatic fork leveling. Can't wait for more details and a video.

Fantastic looks and colour scheme. I really am looking forward to see the steering mechanism. Oh, and I must urge my grandma to start building one asap. Seems that me and her are one of the last people who haven't build a telehandler yet :-)

Edited by MajklSpajkl

This is one outstanding telehandler!

I agree with the others, this is one of (if not the) best telehandlers around. I also think HOF is in order.

I have wanted to build such a telehandler (along with everyone else here). Looking forward to video, more photos and explanation.

Thanks for sharing this!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Is this the largest telehandler we've seen? I love it. I would have liked to see some yellow colouring (sides and back) but that's minor. The model looks good, the functions are good and it's quite a size.

H

Hello Máté, glad to see that You finished this, and I join to the club: it was worth to develop it so long! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::classic:

I love the whole design, very modern, very sleek. :wub: And the functions You put in it.... waiting for the video patiently.

You inspire me to work further on my excavator, thank You!

Love it! Awesome functions and aesthetics. Will you make instructions? I'd be glad to pay for them.

If you are trying to get a count of how many would buy instructions...

Count me in!

Andy D

I like the colorscheme very much! Nothing agaist these red or yellow handlers but this boosts the look up in the sky :D Reasonable choice of power functions too!

The boom look pretty robust. Did you try lifting some weights with that?

Wow! Sell this idea to TLG and we have a flagship model for 2017!

Thank you for the comments!

The LDD file is almost ready but I'm not sure about making proper instructions. The last one I made was very hard and time consuming to make.

The boom look pretty robust. Did you try lifting some weights with that?

Weightlifting was not a main concern, but I tried it now. With almost fresh batteries it's able to lift a full battery box (the one with the 6 AA batteries). Though the LAs clicked sometimes. When I tried lowering the boom (to check if the auto-leveling can keep up, and it could), uneven occasional clicks in the big LA's caused slight desynchronization and higher stress. So I guess it's not safe to lift the bigger battery box.

Without load, it can easily lift the fully extended boom.

I'd say it is able to reliably lift a brick built cargo, I will build a pallet and some cargo for the video.

That is the best Lego telehandler I have seen! The aesthetics and functionality are superb! I also say it is HoF worthy, and would love to have instructions! Can't wait to see the video.

See, this is an instance where your no-compromise perfectionism pays off. It's absolutely beautiful as well as extremely functional.

Absolutely amazing!

That looks incredible! I look forward to seeing the video and I agree with the others, this is HoF worthy without a doubt. Well done :classic:

This is a very nice replica of this build-so-many-times piece of machinery! It is build that much because it is appealing a lot... :-)

You did a fantastic job on this and I really look forward to the video...

Lovely telehandler. An LDD file would be great if no instructions are made. Good enough to assist in building. Many thanks in advance.