Majatek

MOC: McLaren F1 (Speed Champions) 6 wide + variant

After three months of iterating upon its design in LDD, 111.34 Australian dollars and half an hour of building, my McLaren F1 is complete!

1466212783m_DISPLAY.jpg

The total number of parts is approximately individual 165 pieces (this includes wheels and tyres being counted as separate parts), and two of the main body pieces (leading up to the rear wheel arches) come from a 130 dollar LEGO set.

14662127831_DISPLAY.jpg

There is not an angle that the McLaren F1 has that isn't iconic. From its rounded, short rear-end and taillights to its slim front nose, the car's entire design philosophy was based solely on how light its designers could get it to be - and even then, they weren't happy.

14662127842_DISPLAY.jpg

14662127843_DISPLAY.jpg

What supercar is complete without some rich guy in his freshly-pressed (and very plasticy, in this case) suit and suitcase?

14662127844_DISPLAY.jpg

It fits a minifigure! Barely. LDD likes to assume you can phase parts together, so while I was able to add a minifigure and let it sit comfortably in LDD, I'm forced to remove the minifigure's hair/hat/etc for it to fit in real life. To say it's a tight squeeze is an understatement.

I saved the best for last, so, of course, what McLaren F1 would be complete without a "Longtail"? :wink:

14662309181_DISPLAY.jpg

14662309192_DISPLAY.jpg

Images are hosted on MOC-Pages, and will be used in my page when it goes live: http://www.moc-pages.../moc.php/429852

Stores pilfered to construct this MOC:

SwissBrickPlanet

2AM Brick Store

BrickComplete

AFOL Supply

WLWYB

Thanks for the excellent prices & parts!

Edited by Majatek

The McLaren F1 is my all time favorite car, and I have been fortunate enough to have seen 3 in real life and sit on one but never taken for a ride unfortunately. I love this build and think that the short tail match's the real car better than most of the Lego Speed Champions line since you have no stickers and still nailed the side strakes while keeping the entire car smooth and stud free (The real car was built around aero first then a body so this is fitting). GREAT job, I hope that you are able to find other cars that can be built to this very high bar you have set.

Also forgot to say that its funny that the F1 is the only car thats technically laid out correctly in speed champion scale since it was a three seater that you drove from the middle, although if imported to the US they forced you to remove the side seats.

Thanks all! And double thanks to Naptown11! The McLaren F1 is also one of my favourite supercars of all time - so I really stressed the need for it to be as perfect as possible, because anything short of that as an F1 fan myself and I wouldn't be able to show my face around the 'net ever again. It's another reason why it's my first public MOC, too.

Since the photos have been taken, I've done a (relatively) major revision to better fit a minifigure without having to remove the headpiece. Once the required parts for the updated build arrive I'll be sharing updated photos and the LXF file for anyone who wants to be able to build their own McLaren F1, as well as a rough step-by-step infographic explaining the various building techniques used to get the correct height offsets for the front headlights and the connector piece between the rear window's main pillar and the 2 by 1 tile piece placed in the middle of the air grates - along with the neat fact that the rear bumper can slot in/out with the two different rear ends (GT and non-GT) in a fantastically modular way.

The build quality when talking about it being inspired by Speed Champions is quite close to being a robust Speed Champions toy that you can play with - but the front standard non-GT bumper is pretty fragile due to the construction methods required to pull off the appearance. So while it's a great MOC (I hope so anyway!), it wouldn't pass strict LEGO regulations. Can't have everything, I suppose.

But yes, I do plan on keeping my build quality as high as possible for my upcoming projects. Hopefully I'll be able to have a nicer studio set-up for cleaner photos, too (providing money allows for it, of course). :classic:

Edited by Majatek

How impressive! The 1st pics look so much like a McLaren F1.  A brilliant replica! Very well done indeed!

my only recommendation would be to replace the transparent bricks by body-colour ones and put some stickers to recreate very accurately the distinctive shape of the headlamps.

But you could not do better than your model for a sticker-free version.

Bravissimo!

Very well done! It took me a while to figure out how you attached the 1x6 tile at the rear end of the normal version but now I have recreated both the normal and longtail version in ldd. maybe I will purchase the parts from bricklink.

On 6/20/2016 at 2:55 PM, Majatek said:

Thanks all! And double thanks to Naptown11! The McLaren F1 is also one of my favourite supercars of all time - so I really stressed the need for it to be as perfect as possible, because anything short of that as an F1 fan myself and I wouldn't be able to show my face around the 'net ever again. It's another reason why it's my first public MOC, too.

Since the photos have been taken, I've done a (relatively) major revision to better fit a minifigure without having to remove the headpiece. Once the required parts for the updated build arrive I'll be sharing updated photos and the LXF file for anyone who wants to be able to build their own McLaren F1, as well as a rough step-by-step infographic explaining the various building techniques used to get the correct height offsets for the front headlights and the connector piece between the rear window's main pillar and the 2 by 1 tile piece placed in the middle of the air grates - along with the neat fact that the rear bumper can slot in/out with the two different rear ends (GT and non-GT) in a fantastically modular way.

The build quality when talking about it being inspired by Speed Champions is quite close to being a robust Speed Champions toy that you can play with - but the front standard non-GT bumper is pretty fragile due to the construction methods required to pull off the appearance. So while it's a great MOC (I hope so anyway!), it wouldn't pass strict LEGO regulations. Can't have everything, I suppose.

But yes, I do plan on keeping my build quality as high as possible for my upcoming projects. Hopefully I'll be able to have a nicer studio set-up for cleaner photos, too (providing money allows for it, of course). :classic:

Any pictures of the update build and LXF file?

On 2017-11-03 at 11:01 PM, tralux21 said:

Very well done! It took me a while to figure out how you attached the 1x6 tile at the rear end of the normal version but now I have recreated both the normal and longtail version in ldd. maybe I will purchase the parts from bricklink.

Please share your LDD file with me, I am really struggling to create a identical design and the creator himself seems to have disappered from the web completely. I really want to buy the needed part to build my own mclaren F1 but I don't have proper instructions like you seem to have. Please?

Hey all, sorry for a potential necropost, but a lot happened since a few years ago - including becoming evicted thanks to some pretty dishonest rental businesses - hence why I've been pretty much inactive on here. Sorry for that.

I have since fixed up the LDD design of the McLaren F1 and it now properly fits a minifigure without them needing to go bald! I've got a bunch of other designs that I'm looking forward to sharing with you, but I gotta pay the bills first... And all that fun stuff that you get to do as an adult, along with building and taking photos of them as well as taking updated photos of the McLaren F1.

With all that out of the way (and I apologise again for my absence), here's the LXF file: http://www.moc-pages.com/user_images/125610/1531375466m.lxf

Happy building!