Which Pirate ship is the best?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Which Pirate ship is the best?

• 6265 Black Seas Barracuda (10040)
    • 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner
    • 6289 Red Beard Runner (6290)
    • 6268 Renegade Runner
    • 6250 Cross Bone Clipper

Is there possibly a way to make the Skulls Eye Schooner a much more graceful vessle? I'm turning mine into a Pirate warship(well... its a little more complicated. It all goes into a giant story I am writing for my own entertainment, that I just happen to be replicating with lego!)... but I don't like some of the color choices on the Skulls Eye Schooner and I am thinking of ways to modify it.

I saw someone modified SES that has extra deckspace by putting some long grey plates over the cannons... it looked pretty cool.

And the back of the ship could use some work...

Any ideas?

(I voted for the BSB awhile back... so I have participated in this! But it clearly doesn't need my help now! Its already 5 ahead now!)

Any ideas?

Have you seen this one?

This is my ship, it is based in 90% on SES's instructions, of course if you don't count the colours which are totally different. Apart from colours, I changed some features I didn't like in the original model. The hull and many parts are ironically taken from the BSB, hence the name Barracuda's Eye.

That ship is awesome Dreamweb! You have also effectively given off a very sinister vibe with the ship - the Red and White color scheme mixed together makes the whole ship feel very 'bleeding'. It is a VERY good vibe for a pirate ship.

I really like the cabin more... the brown doors look better than the white ones that come with the Schooner. (I am assuming you removed the steering mechanism?)

I am also for sure going to remove the green cannon flaps on mine too... not sure what color I will replace them with though. I also love the centerpiece(or whatever the thing on the front is)

I'm going to try making mine have the same kind of thing that is on Riddles Tomb in the new Harry Potter sets! Looks amazing.

Only thing I don't like are the different sails? Is this the look you were going for, or is it simply too hard/expensive to buy matching sails?

And where did you get the chrome sabre?

be2.jpg

ARRRRRGH!! This splendid vessel! Me sees it somewhere before but can't remember where!

Yes, are the sails suppose to be like that or is that result of insufficient materials to produce consistent sails?

You have also effectively given off a very sinister vibe with the ship - the Red and White color scheme mixed together makes the whole ship feel very 'bleeding'

This is exactly what I meant it to be, I just couldn't express this in words, thanks! :)

I am assuming you removed the steering mechanism?

Yes, I don't like the steering mechanisms! None of my ships have them.

I'm going to try making mine have the same kind of thing that is on Riddles Tomb in the new Harry Potter sets!

Could you post a picture, I'm not sure what you are referring to?

Is this the look you were going for, or is it simply too hard/expensive to buy matching sails?

The truth is I didn't have original sails so I just came up with something that would fit the ship's colour scheme, as you can see using both original Lego and custom sails. Perhaps one day I'll think of something different.

And where did you get the chrome sabre?

Probably in one of many part bags I've bought where it was mixed with other bricks.

We've already discussed this ship in this thread.

BTW, why do the RBR and BSB in this poll have re-release set numbers? Especially when the pictures show boxes of the original releases? Just curious...

be2.jpg

ARRRRRGH!! This splendid vessel! Me sees it somewhere before but can't remember where!

Yes, are the sails suppose to be like that or is that result of insufficient materials to produce consistent sails?

I don't like this custom at all...

God Bless,

Nathan

What admirable honesty from Mr Norro! But who are these creatures that are voting for the Blacks Sea Barracuda! Identify yerselves!

i was wondering of what kind of materials these sails are made. would it be possible to buy some of it in a shop or so?

i'm also wondering why everybody seems to be stuck with the same old design of a lego pirate ship. why don't people add a mast or another floor ...

sorry if i'm going off topic with these questions, Phes :$

i was wondering of what kind of materials these sails are made. would it be possible to buy some of it in a shop or so?

Fear not Sneffy, check out the Custom Sails thread for all your sail queries!

i'm also wondering why everybody seems to be stuck with the same old design of a lego pirate ship. why don't people add a mast or another floor ...

Have you browsed all the MOCs in the Pirates (and Castle) Forum lately? There's a few different designs.

Here's two threads to get you started:

The barque Dodelijk Klompschoen

Replica of the James Cook Sailer Endeavour

If the thread goes too far off topic for too long I'll move the posts to a new thread so the discussion can continue - opposed to closing the off topic thread like some prefer to do...

Fear not Sneffy, check out the Custom Sails thread for all your sail queries!

Have you browsed all the MOCs in the Pirates (and Castle) Forum lately? There's a few different designs.

Here's two threads to get you started:

The barque Dodelijk Klompschoen

Replica of the James Cook Sailer Endeavour

If the thread goes too far off topic for too long I'll move the posts to a new thread so the discussion can continue - opposed to closing the off topic thread like some prefer to do...

thanks pirate!

Its what I'm here to do...  Besides being obnoxious and irritating...

Dang! Now I feel obsolite and unwanted :-D !

God Bless,

Nathan

Errr. I feel compelled to post in this thread. As it was brought up X-D . Anyway, BSB alls the waysies. :capn: .

Oh, messy page.

Errr. I feel compelled to post in this thread. As it was brought up X-D .

Me too now that it's at the top of the discussions X-D

BSB! Yippie!

X-O I can't believe ppl voted for the Cross Bone Clipper :-X

The BSB is WAY better in every aspect *y*

P

It's true that the SES blows every other ship in the theme out of the water, in terms of size, appearance and plastic firepower. That said, the BSB has some nice features the SES doesn't, such as the deck plates running over the cannons (effectively adding an additional level of play space), the grandness of the cabin (it's HUGE! and all those awesome windows!), actual wheels on the cannons, a better figurehead, and, of course, the complete lack of huge skull and cross bones on the sails. The SES has other features that the BSB doesn't, true, but add to that my nostalgic memories of the '90 and '91 pirate catalogs and the fact that the 2002 re-release of the BSB made a childhood dream come true, and you have a completely biased vote for the BSB.

The Renegade Runner is far superior to the Cross Bone Clipper. It's like LEGO wasn't even trying anymore when they made that set.

TC

I personally admire the Beautiful Black Seas Barracuda a step higher than the rest. The Skull's Eye Schooner although mighty and powerful, looks a bit too warmongering to me. Also, the name Black Seas Barracuda completely blows away the Skull's Eye Schooner out of the water in my opinion. ;-)

I have voted for the Skull's Eye Schooner even if the one I possess is the Black Seas Barracuda. Honestly I had to vote for the SES, it's the best: It has 8 cannons whereas the BSB only has 4 even though they are of the same size... The SES rear is also better.

However, I prefer the BSB colours and sails (the SES sails don't look realistic... I don't think pirates had skulls on their sails...).

The one I dislike the most is the Red Beard Runner. It is not realistic enough and its general aspect does not look too good.

Finally, the other 2 can hardly be named ships... they look much like some kind of large sloops...

I have voted for the Skull's Eye Schooner even if the one I possess is the Black Seas Barracuda. Honestly I had to vote for the SES, it's the best: It has 8 cannons whereas the BSB only has 4 even though they are of the same size... The SES rear is also better.

Exactly how I voted!

Finally, the other 2 can hardly be named ships... they look much like some kind of large sloops...

I don't think we mean ship in the more exacting classification sense, we mean pirate vessel's that aren't rafts. But it is easy to see why the smaller vessels wouldn't get many votes. I suppose technically speaking, pirates would be more prone to using sloops and hoys or maybe brigs, and rarely ever anything as large as any type of man-of-war!

Edited by phred

I voted for SES, 'cause it is kinda cartoonish in my opinon, even though I don't own it. (My favorite ship is the Caribbean Clipper, but it is not a pirate vessel 8-( )

Edited by SirNadroj

Honestly I had to vote for the SES, it's the best: It has 8 cannons whereas the BSB only has 4 even though they are of the same size

8 cannons? X-O

where are they? 8-|

I thought there were 4 on the gun deck and 2 smaller cannons on the quarter deck

I could be wrong though X-D

P

Edited by phred

8 cannons? X-O

where are they? 8-|

I thought there were 4 on the gun deck and 2 smaller cannons on the quarter deck

I could be wrong though X-D

P

I thought that because there was enough room for 8 cannons, there were 8 cannons but you made me realize there might only be 4 of them (the 2 on the quarter deck are of smaller size, so I did not took them into account).