Which Pirate ship is the best?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Which Pirate ship is the best?

• 6265 Black Seas Barracuda (10040)
    • 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner
    • 6289 Red Beard Runner (6290)
    • 6268 Renegade Runner
    • 6250 Cross Bone Clipper

Its the rareness factor of course. People are naturally intrigued by what's scarce and what they can't have. Also I've heard some say they like colour contrast between the red and green.

Actually, it was I who made reference to the variety of colors... I voted for the Cross Bone Clipper because mister_phes said it was rare :-D But I can assure you that I am not 'naturally intrigued by what's scarce and what they can't have' because I have that set ;) .

Life is Good.

Actually I was thinking of the conversation I had with my LEGO dealer last year when I collected my Cross Bone Clipper from him. He said he liked the exotic colour scheme or something along those lines.

I do love the green hull highlight... wish there was a mid-section for it. It is just the rest of the ship I dislike... As long as the SES is on top all is good though :-D.

God Bless,

Nathan

Can you place and describe specifically what you don't like the about the Cross Bone Clipper? Is it the design? The parts? etc.

Can you place and describe specifically what you don't like the about the Cross Bone Clipper? Is it the design? The parts? etc.

Its the fact that no self-respecting pirates would ever draw that much attention to themselves with such an array of colors :-D Also, there are not that many parts to the set at all (there should have been much more ;) )

Life is Good.

Can you place and describe specifically what you don't like the about the Cross Bone Clipper?  Is it the design?  The parts? etc.

The design is weak but I put this down to a complete lack of parts... I bought it for the hull at the time and was shocked to find that is about all it included...

God Bless,

Nathan

Its the fact that no self-respecting pirates would ever draw that much attention to themselves with such an array of colors :-D Also, there are not that many parts to the set at all (there should have been much more ;) )

Life is Good.

They're on the way to the Mardi Gras in Tortuga no doubt... That can be the only logical explanation for their ship.

They're on the way to the Mardi Gras in Tortuga no doubt... That can be the only logical explanation for their ship.

Absolutely, that has to be it... kinda got a little "drinky" in their system whilst opening those sails too (looks like they used a cutlass or two to do it ;) )

Life is Good.

Or they could simply be colour blind and stupid!

Tis' easier to blame the booze than appear the fool... ;)

Life is Good.

Oh I blame the booze upon many a thing. But I act foolish enough without it anyway. Just look how I'm foolishly taking this thread off topic and I haven't had a drop of grog since Saturday night!

Oh I blame the booze upon many a thing. But I act foolish enough without it anyway. Just look how I'm foolishly taking this thread off topic and I haven't had a drop of grog since Saturday night!

Ahhh (or arrrr), tis' a saddening tale indeed...

Life is Good.

Do you in fact own a Cross Bone Clipper Mr Ed? I forget if you've already mentioned or I've already asked...

Do you in fact own a Cross Bone Clipper Mr Ed? I forget if you've already mentioned or I've already asked...

It is on my list phes... & I have mentioned & you've laready asked ;)

Life is Good.

Oh yeah... This was an old thread that has magically resurfaced for the benefit of the new Pirate enthuiasts who have appeared in recent times...

the best is skull's eye schooner because he had the best dessign, and 4 mobile cannons. I don't like the black seas barracuda so much because it has 4 cannons which you can't move, and the design is not good, colours are very visible and pirate ships shouldn't be visible, if they are visible, soldiers can capture them easily, and Red Beard Runner has only 3 cannons, and the designs is not very realistic. the Renegade runner is simple and has only a cannon, but is a good ship for little children and is a good set because that ship is the only ship that is not captained by Captain Redbeard/Captain Roger, because is Captained by Captain Ironhook. I don't like cross bone clipper, colours are visible and terrible.

colours are very visible and pirate ships shouldn't be visible, if they are visible, soldiers can capture them easily

On the other hand, all ships except The Black Seas Barracuda have large and visible Jolly Roger emblems. I prefer the Barracuda because it's much more complex, has all these hatches the SES is missing (well it has those two made of "wing" parts but they look very silly). And I don't like these rotating cannons - good for playing but not realistic. All these holes with arches are in fact too small for the minifigs to get to the other side (to the ratlines for instance), and the "propeller unit" used for raising anchor looks fine but it's located in the worst possible place - covered by a long plank so that the poor guy who's been ordered to raise the anchor will have much difficulty rotating the whole thing.

because is Captained by Captain Ironhook

Yes, this fellow is a rare figure (was the Renegade Runner the only set containing him?), I have two of them and gave one of the torsos to a female minifig, it looks cool.

I wouldn't have said Captain Ironhook was rare as he comes in enough sets. He seems to completely replace Captain Roger/Redbeard in the Indigo Islander Sub-theme and even makes an apperance in 6289 Red Beard Runner despite being Captain Red Beard's ship. Guess the Renegade Runner met its demise...

Oh yes, I forgot about those Islanders sets, because I don't like them and I only have one small set. But I've noticed this guy must have lost a leg somewhere - he has a pegleg in those Islanders sets. About the Red Beard Runner - even if that's him (I don't think so), he's not a captain anymore.

One more cool thing BSB does and SES doesn't have is the upper deck (in BSB made of two long (2x16) grey plates), something the other big ships could really use.

colours are very visible and pirate ships shouldn't be visible, if they are visible, soldiers can capture them easily

On the other hand, all ships except The Black Seas Barracuda have large and visible Jolly Roger emblems. I prefer the Barracuda because it's much more complex, has all these hatches the SES is missing (well it has those two made of "wing" parts but they look very silly). And I don't like these rotating cannons - good for playing but not realistic. All these holes with arches are in fact too small for the minifigs to get to the other side (to the ratlines for instance), and the "propeller unit" used for raising anchor looks fine but it's located in the worst possible place - covered by a long plank so that the poor guy who's been ordered to raise the anchor will have much difficulty rotating the whole thing.

Yes, this fellow is a rare figure (was the Renegade Runner the only set containing him?), I have two of them and gave one of the torsos to a female minifig, it looks cool.

QUOTE]colours are very visible and pirate ships shouldn't be visible, if they are visible, soldiers can capture them easily

On the other hand, all ships except The Black Seas Barracuda have large and visible Jolly Roger emblems

that's right, but captain Roger emblems aren't as visible as black seas barracuda colours, i think a pirate ship with red and white colours.

I prefer the Barracuda because it's much more complex, has all these hatches the SES is missing (well it has those two made of "wing" parts but they look very silly). And I don't like these rotating cannons - good for playing but not realistic. All these holes with arches are in fact too small for the minifigs to get to the other side (to the ratlines for instance), and the "propeller unit" used for raising anchor looks fine but it's located in the worst possible place - covered by a long plank so that the poor guy who's been ordered to raise the anchor will have much difficulty rotating the whole thing.

well, you may be true about the rotating cannons and about the anchor, but i think the hatches are good althought they have the same form of a wings. and i think when you said "holes with arches" you are talking about the windows of the house of the Stern,arent you? i think they are not so bad.

yes, Captain Ironhook is very cool, isn't so cool as me(captain Roger) but is a cool character because is very rare. You talked too about a female pirate, she is my favorite pirate figs(when we talk about the common pirates and not the captains). I have one ironhook who i took when i bought "enchanted island"(you know captain ironhook is the principal character of islanders sub-theme). I hate islanders sub-theme, i bought enchanted island but i haven't that set nowadays, i have only ironhook's boat.

I wouldn't have said Captain Ironhook was rare as he comes in enough sets. He seems to completely replace Captain Roger/Redbeard in the Indigo Islander Sub-theme and even makes an apperance in 6289 Red Beard Runner despite being Captain Red Beard's ship. Guess the Renegade Runner met its demise...

well, captain ironhook was the captain who appears in all islanders sets, but in the photo of 1994 catalogue, appears Skull's eye schooner in the islands of indigo islanders, and captain Roger/Redbeard appears running to king hakuka's treasure

Holes with arches - well, I meant those 2 passages to ratlines and 2 to the forecastle (leading from the gun deck), these holes are just a bit too small for the minifigs. About these windows in stern section - they are not so bad, though when it rains it must be wet inside...

True, but one would imagine bigger ship being more comfortable. BTW, I'll soon show you my modified Renegade Runner where they can hide themselves or their cargo or whatever from the rain :)

I own 6265 Black Seas Barracuda (10040) and I really wish to have a set of 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner. Therefore, I voted for 6286. Moreover, it has 8 cannons and I like its colour.

I own 6265 Black Seas Barracuda (10040) and I really wish to have a set of 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner. Therefore, I voted for 6286. Moreover, it has 8 cannons and I like its colour.

It has 4 cannons, they're "rotatable". On the picture you see all 4 pointing to one side. See instruction pages 7 and 29.