carnage717

[MOD] Lego A-wing from Set 75150 in Return of the Jedi Colors

Here is a little something I came up with using some extra parts I had laying around and a little bit of photoshop time. I re-did the front a little bit because I didn't have a 4x4 Modified Tile to replace the gray one. I also added another layer of wedge plates on each side to bulk it up a little more. Since the wing pieces are brand new and only come in the light blue grey. I just whipped up some stickers in photoshop to put on them. As soon as I get time to print another set out I'm going to sticker the insides of all the winglets as well.

IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

Looks good! I'm really hoping they do release that new piece in white soon,

That's bad ace. I've always liked the A-wing. Never thought it got the credit it deserved

Sold! Are the more photos to see anywhere so I can work out my brick link order? The red plates through the middle really pop too - did it make much difference to the structural build?

Sold! Are the more photos to see anywhere so I can work out my brick link order? The red plates through the middle really pop too - did it make much difference to the structural build?

Ill take some pictures of the underside later tonight and post them. The only substitutions I made were two inverted 4x1 curved sloped pieces on the underside of the front because they don't come in dark red, I replaced them 3x1 inverted slopes. I replaced the 4x4 Modified tile with four 1x4 dark red tiles, The do make a 4x4 modified tile in dark red but it only comes in one set 4482 AT-TE walker and they hard to find on bricklink. I replaced the 10 x 3 wedges left and right and 2x4 dark blue grey slopes with 12 x 3 Wedge, I think the larger wedge looks better than the 10x3 and 2x4 combined. Other than that I think it was basically swapping out part for part with white or dark red. I'm planning on working on Star Wars Rebels Ralph McQuarrie Prototype A-wing this weekend and I have some parts ordered coming in today or tomorrow. If I can Ill try to take a pic of some of the parts I ordered for the middles sections, I just swapped out blue parts for the dark red parts. It is just as sound structurally as the original model the few substitutions don't affect it one bit.

Part of the reason I haven't bought that set is I find the A-wing's colors to be atrocious (and, of course, it's grossly overpriced). Hopefully we get a new A-wing standalone in the next couple of years.

I also want it - but can't justify that price - I picked up three of the last stand-alone A-Wing sets for £20 (to colour swap with the standard set), so I guess this will be a case of wait and see if they go down in price 12 months down the line....

Fear not guys, there will be a discount, sometime, somwhere...and we will be there to strike down :D 

On the topic: it's a great job, apart from the middle section of the front, and the turrets, it's pretty much what TLG came up with.