1. 1. It's Quiet, too Quiet...

• 6066 Camouflaged Outpost
    • 6071 Forestmen's Crossing
    • 6077 Forestmen's River Fortress

For easy reference:

6066: 6066-1-972357550.jpg

6071: 6071-1-966219881.jpg

6077: 6077-2-986527757.jpg

I have to go with 6066, but then there is the Forest Babe to consider... and the incredible brave (or slightly fool-hardy) knight in 6077 ;) .

So which would you nominate?

God Bless (as always :-D ),

Nathan

For me it has to be 6071... I love the water feature plus gives the horse some drinking water...

I should also mention I had the rare priviledge of owning a MISB 6077 in 2000 (for approximately 2 minutes). It arrived in the mail and I opened it with all the usual promptness. *Please not this is not a 'Guess what I got in the mail today' thread because I've all ready told you. And the title is different. And it just Isn't *wacko* .*

God Bless,

Nathan

Now we definitely don't need another Guess what I got in the mail today thread as mine is still unsolved...

You open MISB sets? Is that wise?

To keep this thread back on topic (since we have another thread related to MISBs) I voted for 6066 ;)

I don't own any of these unfortunatly since they came out during my long dark ages |-/

My choice is a question of design: I like the way the "building" incorporates into nature - being part of the tree!!!!!!!

6066...then again, you could always combine all three to make one big outpost.

The River Fortress isn't fairing to well. I don't own any of these sets so I feel my vote is premature. Does anybody own ALL of them?

The River Fortress isn't fairing to well.  I don't own any of these sets so I feel my vote is premature.  Does anybody own ALL of them?

I do own all of them... and am going to stick with 6066. The river fortress needed an interior and a little more depth so it has to be betwwen the other two ;) ...

God Bless,

Nathan

Interesting... You failed to mention the 6054 Forestmens Hideout...

6054_forestmens_hideout.jpg

Though the smallest of the above mentioned sets, I believe it is better than them all... Thus my lack of a vote... as of yet ;)

Life is Good.

Are those blue cascading tiles at the front suppose to represent water or a roof? I've always wondered that...

Interesting... You failed to mention the 6054 Forestmens Hideout...

6054_forestmens_hideout.jpg

Though the smallest of the above mentioned sets, I believe it is better than them all... Thus my lack of a vote... as of yet ;)

Life is Good.

Believe it or not I thought long and hard before leaving it out... Eventually I decided (perhaps in error) that it was in a different size category (let alone price...) and would confuse the vote because people would be thinking 'excellent small set' or 'brilliant add on' when I wanted to focus more on which of the large hideouts was the best...

Confusing ramble over, you can come out now....

God Bless,

Nathan

I should further add so as not to seem bias that I have 6054 as well... It included my first target piece *wub* ...

God Bless,

Nathan

You certainly must be pleased then! However you having answered my question regarding whether the blue cascading tiles at the front are suppose to represent water or a roof?

I went 6071. If I had a choice between any of them to own I would have picked 6066. I have always liked 6071 though. It makes me think of that catalog I spent hours wishfully thinking about all the sets I would want. That and it is built on a blue (water) baseplate. Like the wolfpack tower, sets built over water have a specialness to them.

However you having answered my question regarding whether the blue cascading tiles at the front are suppose to represent water or a roof?

I am qoing to guess it is a roof (since it is on top of the interior and on top of a tree...) but the idea that it was water was the original inspiration for my Woodsmen Waterfall featured in my avatar :-D ... So I guess it is a common thought ;) .

As always God Bless you all,

Nathan

I voted the 6066.

I like this set very much for it's looks. It is not a fortress like the 6071. It's really a cave with a big tree. you don't expect a hide-out in there.

The Forestmen crossing has a same kind of look, but the crossign looses from the hide-out when it comes to playability. the 6066 has three (!) hidden (!) entrences! And a guardtower hidden in the big tree. And a brown horse (hard to get those days), and a black forestman.

The crossing is more like an addition to the Hide-out. It's like the secret road from the hide-out the the King's Mountain Fortress. The crossing can't stand alone, for it needs two places and a road to exist.

While the hide-out can stand alone, and it doesn't necessarily needs a crossing like this.

which doesn't mean the i don't like the crossing. I just like the hide-out more.

What do you dudes think about the Dark Forest sets 6024 Bandit Ambush, 6046 Hemlock Stronghold and 6079 Dark Forest Fortress? Do you see this as a continuation of the original Forest Men sub theme or a different and maybe inferior sub theme?

What do you dudes think about the Dark Forest sets 6024 Bandit Ambush, 6046 Hemlock Stronghold and 6079 Dark Forest Fortress? Do you see this as a continuation of the original Forest Men sub theme or a different and maybe inferior sub theme?

I look at them as an inferior sub theme... mainly because the sets were not designed as well as the original Forestmen & the fact that they call them "Dark Forest" sets...

Life is Good.

For some reason "Dark Forest" reminds me of a flavour of Yogurt. I'm sure I'm getting my wires crossed somewhere there. Unless some Yogurt company has had a LEGO promotion...

I voted the 6066.

I like this set very much for it's looks. It is not a fortress like the 6071. It's really a cave with a big tree. you don't expect a hide-out in there.

The Forestmen crossing has a same kind of look, but the crossign looses from the hide-out when it comes to playability. the 6066 has three (!) hidden (!) entrences! And a guardtower hidden in the big tree. And a brown horse (hard to get those days), and a black forestman.

Hi,

loved your reasoning... and especially your avatar :-D 6066 stands alone as a lego set which is 'hidden' from all 4 sides and still playable...

God Bless,

Nathan

After reading some explainations, I have come to the realization that the rationale for 6066 seems to be the best... Therefore, I will say 6066 (but only because 6054 is not listed ;) )... You can't go wrong with a hideout that is hidden from all angles + 6 Forestmen minifigs...

Life is Good.

After reading some explainations, I have come to the realization that the rationale for 6066 seems to be the best... Therefore, I will say 6066 (but only because 6054 is not listed ;) )... You can't go wrong with a hideout that is hidden from all angles + 6 Forestmen minifigs...

Life is Good.

Good to see you come round... my sword arm was tired of being pressed up against you back ;) . Also don't forget that one of the woodsmen was the black crested one...

We're so close to at least a tie now...

God Bless,

Nathan

Well, the sentimental part of me would have said 6077, because it was the first set I remember getting as a gift (along wiht the 6054, same day ;) ). But I can't argue with six Forestmen in a fairly low-priced set ($22 at retail in the USA originally, I believe)... Oh, and you can lower your sword now, unless it is light grey or black, & I will be stealing it from you ;) as I could always use more...

Life is Good.