Sign in to follow this  
Legoboy22

New Airport set- Passenger Terminal 60104

Hi everyone

I would like to know your opinions of the new airport coming out in august in the USA. As a lego plane enthusiast i have had lego planes since the old 4 wide builds and missed out on the 2010 airport set. Do you think this set is worth getting or not. I am in a sort of dilemma because in my opinion its pros are equal to the cons. For the pros

- It is the first Passenger airport since 3182 which is now ridiculously expensive

- The control tower section of the airport can be added to my current one from 60022 cargo terminal

- The plane has one of those doors that are the only type of large pieces that i actually like

-The airport is sizable and contains a nice revolving door

- The plane has a bathroom

- The plane also has a flight attendant cart

Cons-

- The plane is too small

- It has a ton of huge specialized parts

- The rear landing gear is terrible

- The airportort has nowhere near the appropriate amount of details

- The control tower is on top of the airport

- The price is 100$ and there are only about 700 parts

- The engines should be on the wings because large planes do not usually have engines on the tail section

- The wings are too far back

- There is no jetway to get to the plane

- The details that are in the airport are awkwardly placed

- There is no co-pilot

- The plane can only hold 5 passengers

- The cockpit has no control levers

- There is only one door

- There seem to be a lot of stickers

This is my list of pros and cons so i would like to ask you to evaluate it and if you recommend this set.

Thx in advance.

-Legoboy22

Well personally I think it is quite a good set. But that's very arbitrary of course.

You mention a couple of cons:

- The plane is too small

Well, there are smaller aircraft in real life as well. In the regional aircraft category you will find a lot of 50 - 100 seat "small" aircraft compared to the larger 150 and up seat aircraft for medium to long range.

I totally agree!

- The airport has nowhere near the appropriate amount of details

It has the essential playability items, and even the old airports didn't have a lot more details

Well that's actually not that uncommon (especially not in LEGO airports)

True, but the parts are quite big. There must have been a infinite number of discussions already on price per part on Eurobricks.

- The engines should be on the wings because large planes do not usually have engines on the tail section

Actually several regional aircraft have them on the aft fuselage: Fokker 100, DC-9, Embraer ERJ 145, Bombardier CRJ100

That's actually inherent of the placement of the wings at the aft fuselage, so quite correct.

That disappeared with the vanishing base plates I guess.

That always has been the case, though in some sets more than in others. But personally I actually like these details. It must have been a compromise of what to put in.

- There is no co-pilot

That could be easily solved

That's more than my old four-engined 4-wide aircraft. :tongue:

True but I think it is compensated by the panels (Fly By Wire with side sticks like Airbus?)

- There is only one door

That's in agreement with a small regional jet.

... Well it probably would be more expensive if they would print it. But that is an eternal discussion as well.

In the end it depends on how you feel about it yourself. If you are not so sure and see a lot of cons, then don't buy it.

As for the price, normally this is how the price is for City sets (these recent years), I believe:

Sets with 600something-900something pieces: $90-$120

Sets with 900something-1000something pieces: $120-$170

Edited by ilikeboomerang1

Well personally I think it is quite a good set. But that's very arbitrary of course.

You mention a couple of cons:

- The plane is too small

Well, there are smaller aircraft in real life as well. In the regional aircraft category you will find a lot of 50 - 100 seat "small" aircraft compared to the larger 150 and up seat aircraft for medium to long range.

I totally agree!

- The airport has nowhere near the appropriate amount of details

It has the essential playability items, and even the old airports didn't have a lot more details

Well that's actually not that uncommon (especially not in LEGO airports)

True, but the parts are quite big. There must have been a infinite number of discussions already on price per part on Eurobricks.

Actually several regional aircraft have them on the aft fuselage: Fokker 100, DC-9, Embraer ERJ 145, Bombardier CRJ100

That's actually inherent of the placement of the wings at the aft fuselage, so quite correct.

That disappeared with the vanishing base plates I guess.

That always has been the case, though in some sets more than in others. But personally I actually like these details. It must have been a compromise of what to put in.

- There is no co-pilot

That could be easily solved

That's more than my old four-engined 4-wide aircraft. :tongue:

True but I think it is compensated by the panels (Fly By Wire with side sticks like Airbus?)

- There is only one door

That's in agreement with a small regional jet.

... Well it probably would be more expensive if they would print it. But that is an eternal discussion as well.

In the end it depends on how you feel about it yourself. If you are not so sure and see a lot of cons, then don't buy it.

What I mean by the plane having the aft engines is normally in Lego the 6 wide planes have the aft engines do they are scaled appropiately compared to the 8 wide medium to long range jets. The plane in set 3181 had aft engines and there was nothing wrong with it because the scale was apropiate. In the set 3182 the plane had engines on the wings and decent rear landing gear and might have been longer.

Edited by Legoboy22