Unfortunately, due to it being presently Out Of Sock, I didn't get it for Xmas but I can either wait until it's restocked or have it bought online.

In the new year before I return to work, I'll make room for more LEGO in the closet of my work room.

It is not only tall but very heavy as well. I'm building right now and it is totally worth it as a display piece and educational material specially now that the Moon is going to be on vogue again https://lunar.xprize.org/ You have until March to get yours! https://www.space.com/37813-google-lunar-x-prize-deadline-extended-march-2018.html

A minor comment, I do not agree with the "fantastic building experience" I've read around. It is good, it is not boring, but there is some repetition durng the build as most steps are done four times. In the end this is a cylindrical hull and those 150 2x3 white half-bows have to be put in place. But when you finish a module you have the wow feeling everybody mentions. I'll rank it as a 4 out of 5 in terms of "while building". Once done is a clear 5/5

For me the Modular line is a fantastic building experience as you are making different things each time and there is color variation; I guess I am not the kind of buyer of Taj Mahal, Big Ben and the like

Mine came in the mail today! And I enjoyed my time building this yard-long piece of plastic intricacy!

BTW, as Photobucket no longer authorizes their embedding of images for standard members, can the original author change over to either Imgur, Brickshelf or Flickr?
This restriction has become the biggest trivial problem with millions of users around the globe, especially those who use the internet as a career rather than a hobby.

On 1/2/2018 at 2:43 AM, BrickWild said:

Mine came in the mail today! And I enjoyed my time building this yard-long piece of plastic intricacy!

BTW, as Photobucket no longer authorizes their embedding of images for standard members, can the original author change over to either Imgur, Brickshelf or Flickr?
This restriction has become the biggest trivial problem with millions of users around the globe, especially those who use the internet as a career rather than a hobby.

Yeah, I noticed that (and apologies for the late reply!). I’ll try to get that taken care of.

Photobucket used to be really useful for me, but obviously isn’t any longer. Granted, that’s because I’m not a paying user, but I can’t help it - I need all my money for LEGO!!! :laugh:  Anyway, I’ll try to fix that in the near future. I need to set up accounts on those other services anyway...

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Hello,

i just finished Saturn 5. Very clever design to make some round with some square!
I made an unrealistic launch tower, but totally out of the recovery equipment of my workshop.(wood, alu, coton and a red box of chocolate "Ferrero - Mon cheri " ) and LEDs
Here are views, with just a few photoshop
  :innocent:

Tour4-R

--<>--

Tour3-R

--<>--

Tour1-R

--<>--

Reacteur

--<>--

LEM-R

--<>--

Capsule

I know I am very late to the party, but I finally gave in and purchased this wonderful set.  I just finished building the first stage and I was looking at where the fins attached and thought it was a shame the base of it has to straddle the line between the black and white stripes.  Then I thought about cutting up some unused stickers I have that have black parts to cover up that side of the base.  Then I got to wondering if perhaps that entire side of the tail might also supposed to be black.  Well, from what I can find, I think the fin are actually dark gray.  The part, 6239, is available in dark bluish gray.  So I'm really curious why they chose to make them white! 

base of apollo 11 saturn v

7 hours ago, krtwood said:

Then I got to wondering if perhaps that entire side of the tail might also supposed to be black.  Well, from what I can find, I think the fin are actually dark gray.  The part, 6239, is available in dark bluish gray.  So I'm really curious why they chose to make them white! 

My guess is that they chose white because of the 2x3 tile that forms the base of the tail fin part.  The "tile" covers the white and black 2x6 curved slopes, so dark grey would disrupt the roll pattern and look a little odd. Black would be too dark and look wring for the fins, so they probably kept white because it looks "cleaner".  

It would have been much nicer if Lego could have printed the tail fins grey on each side (and added the letters "A, B, C, D" to each fin would have really been the cherry on the icing on the cake). Even stickers would have been nice.  But I guess the designers weren't allowed to create any further prints.

For info, they tail fins are actually the wrong shape (but the closest match without creating a completely new part).  Someone posted revised parts for 3D-printing on shapeways, which look pretty good, but I never got round to trying them: https://www.shapeways.com/product/9T7Q8K5BA/lego-saturn-v-fins

So I got the set for Christmas 2018 and meant to built in July of 2019 for the 50th anniversary, never did. Just started building it this year and it's amazing. If you can still pick it up in your country I'd say go for it, so weird and the first challenging set I've built in years.

Plus it's the tallest darn LEGO thing!